Total newbie here needs help

JasN00b

i dunno what i'm doing.

basically, i want a good 5.1 speaker system.

i dont know what kina amp i would need, or what kina speakers to use, or what kina sub to buy.

how much would it cost for me to get a half decent system?

please list all components you suggest, and the cheapest possible compents that arent awful.

thanks!

------------------

---------------------

I. Love. MUSIC!

The Klipsch Quintets or for a few hundred more (but more than worth it) the Synergy 6

any denon or onkyo receiver/amp that fits your price range

same goes for the DVD/CD/SACD player, except personally I would add SONY to that list.

all and all, this could be done for eunder $2000. do you need a TV? what do you have now? anything at all? anything like a computer you want to hook up to it or is this mostly for home theater and audio? not for gaming and whatnot.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

Synergy 6 will be very loud providing you get a decent

reciever. Klipsch speakers are very efficient. First

thing before we can really help you. You must let us

know what your budget is for this. And then we can go

from there. Without that its hard to recomend something.

------------------

Thanks,

Daryl Gregg cwm12.gif

MY Home Theatre Page

HK AVR-510 Reciever

Sony DVP-NS400D DVD

SB-3 Mains

SC-1 Center

Quintet Rears

KSW-12 Sub

AR Proseries Interconects

pwk.gif

R.I.P. Paul W. Klipsch THE LEGEND! 3/9/04 - 5/5/02

This message has been edited by QUiKSR20 on 06-10-2002 at 09:02 AM

Budget is very important, or some of the BB snobs will tell you to get 5 Heritage speakers at $3000 EACH and spend another $3000 on each of five amps.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

well i dont really have a fixed budget, but above 2000 dollars total is completely out of the question. i'm not very wealthy so.

otherwise i would buy like 5 khorns

lol

*droooool*

actually i'd prolly get justins 42000 dollars system...

*DROOOOOL*

------------------

---------------------

I. Love. MUSIC!

quote:

Originally posted by kenratboy:

Budget is very important, or some of the BB snobs will tell you to get 5 Heritage speakers at $3000 EACH and spend another $3000 on each of five amps.

Hey Ken, I have the R7 series all the way around... What category does that put me in?

cwm12.gif

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

the m00n system

FRONTS: RF-7

CENTER: RC-7

SURROUNDS: RS-7

SUB: RSW-12

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

DVD: Toshiba SD 3205 (DD, DTS)

TV: Samsung 27" Flatscreen

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

jasnoob - have you considered used Heritage Klipsch speakers? You can get Heresys, Fortes, Chorus or Cornwalls for a small percentage of new prices if you keep your eyes open. If you don't need to do it all at once, you can get serious performance for department store prices, with some effort. Heritage speakers last for years, so if they are found in good condition, they will stay that way with reasonable care. This board is a good source for these, as well as newspapers, online ads and auctions, flea markets - wherever used gear may be sold.

Also used: Kg series is worth looking at, and is reasonable.

The Synergy series is good for the dollar, too. The system 6 would be a decent system that could be done in one shot, without going broke.

------------------

Klipsch Cornwall II's (mains)

Klipsch Academy (center channel)

Klipsch Chorus (surrounds)

Outlaw 750 Amplifier (5x165)

H/K AVR 75 (used as pre/pro - will be upgraded soon)

Bass Kit:

2 JBL 4638 LFE/Bass Reinforcement cabinets

Crown CE 1000 amplifier

Behringer Feedback Destroyer (Bass EQ)

Sources:

Pioneer DV-333

2 Aiwa ADF-850 3 head cassette decks

General Instruments cable box

Panasonic VHS PV-4459

Digital Audio Labs CardDeluxe (computer sound)

f> c> s>

the synergy 6 gets too loud Smile.gif you should not be wanting any more volume what they give you for movies, you can not have an open air concert with them, but you can certainly have a living room concert with ease.

heritage classic speakers, for sure the best bang for the buck. some require corners and are somewhat large, so make sure you get the right speakers for you room when you look at these. we can help out with that.

i put my vote for the Synergy System 6.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

wow these forums rock.

would i just buy 4 of the same kind of speaker? or would i need special "surrounds" for it.

um could i have the screen name of one of you guys so i can get a live q/a session? i have many many questions, and i'd rather have a live session.

------------------

---------------------

I. Love. MUSIC!

for me, you just click my AIM icon

aim_icon.gif at the bottom of my posts.

i would get the synergy 6 system (or should i say i did?), everything is put together for you and just about perfectly matched.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

quote:

Originally posted by trespasser_guy:

Justin.... Did you actually buy the Synergy System 6? *in quiet voice* wanna sell it for cheaper than new? *end quiet voice*

I got the v2.400, my dad then got a quintet, then he gave that to my brother and got the synergy 6, he sold that to a co worker and is getting now the RF-7 system. right now the only klipsch in my house are the promedia line, and the occasional cornwall or heresy via a friend of my dad.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

I also recommend the System 6. It has all the speakers you need in one bundle, including a subwoofer.

You might want to check out acousticsounddesign.com. I bought a center channel speaker from them last week and got a great price and great service. They currently have the system 6 on sale. I copied the following text from their webiste:

"Special Price:  $699.00

The Synergy System 6 is the worlds only horn-loaded home theater system under $1,000. The nine pound, 12.5-inch SB-1 mains, multi-angle enclosure center channel and 180° surrounds all utilize square Tractrix® Horns, delivering consistent, balanced, high-performance sound across the board. The system comes with a KSW-10 subwoofer to maximize every explosion, car chase and shoot-out. As youd expect, the Synergy System 6 has the appealing, stealth-like styling of its larger Synergy counterparts. "