New Horn Project 23" Tractrix

Guest David H

Guest David H

The phase-rods on the Audio Nirvana and others similar are generally made electrically conductive to reduce the impedance rise and a replacement wooden rod/light-bulb/door-knob is not acceptable.

Thats too bad, I have a gorgeous crystal door knob from my grandmothers vanity case I thought would look perfect as a phase plug.

post-24405-13819823238224_thumb.jpg

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I understand the point but using a similar approach as this with
extending the length into the horn would likely lower the number of
notches in the response. I know it would be trial and error (mostly
error) but that if I had a CNC I would give it a shot. "

By all means, give it a try.

I am still concerned as the air space between the cone and the slot openings acts as a low-pass filter and will probably roll off the HF.

If I were to try this approach I would probably try a conical initial expansion, transitioning to tractrix near the mouth (think K402), and try some open-celled foam in the throat area to deal with the HOMs (reflections).

Some people have been very happy with their Lowther driver on the Oris horns atop the Klipschorn bottoms.

Guest David H

Though the horn is a work in progress, I wanted to assemble the LF/HF section

This will house the (2) 10"Dayton Pro woofers and the new Dayton 1"compression driver coupled to a ContracT HF lens.

Dave

post-24405-13819823329744_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

A bit of an update, I have the bass and HF sections assembled, and the updated horn built.

No testing ofther than listening and SPL checks. The woofers come in approx 98db, the mids is approx 99db and the HF is 108db.

These numbers tend to jive with my measurements.

Dave

post-24405-13819823577658_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

The Dayton is a fine sounding driver, with nice extension to 17K+.

What does it mean that the Dayton is a compression driver.

Compression drivers are used in horn applications. For instance if the driver has a 2 inch diaphram and a 1 inch exit it uses compression.

The Selenium D-220ti is compression as well.

My first impression with this driver is good, however I have done minimal testing.

Dave

Guest David H

After the initial primering, I found a need to build a fixture to aid in the finishing process.

For this I used a pair of hub bearings welded to a stand. This allows me to rotate the horns while applying the finish.

post-24405-1381982406673_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

In the spirit of the Avantguard look alike build I assembled the outrigger stand, however I really dont like the looks of this so I don't think I will use it.

Instead I have an idea to a horn mount that will allow this horn to be mounted on any speaker.

post-24405-1381982406842_thumb.jpg