About 6 hours with SVS 20-39PCi....

hwatkins

My first of promised review of the SVS 20-39PCi. Setup is Denon 3802 with Heresy main and sides, AR2c center (frequent readers know about my quest here) and some Infinity fillers for rear surround.

Unit arrived around 4 p.m. yesterday and was setup via VE disc by 6 p.m. SPL on DTS is around 75db for all speakers and 78-79db for sub. Sub crossover is disabled, speakers set to small and volume on sub amp is about 50%. The channel level for sub is set to -4db. I will run through the paces over the next several weeks, but here is the first impressions:

1. Solid performance all around without missing a beat in HT - Monster, Inc trailer was outstanding and crisp. The sound hit you in the chest on the door knock and falling to the floor.

2. Plenty of headroom. I, quite honestly, believe that one must be deranged to be able to bottom this thing out (especially in my configuration).

3. Music - Oh yes...I will be tweaking here, but this is a pure delight. Like the HT stuff - quick, clean and responsive. I really notice how badly my other sub struggled here. This baby clearly covers the low side with uncomplicated ease. A note - The Denon allows me to set separate channel levels for type of output - In stereo or direct I have to adjust the sub to 0db to get the desired effect. While I will be tweaking as I run this throught the motions, I do believe the ability to vary the channel levels by effect is an excellent match for this sub. After 3 hours of music sampling - this is an excellent match to the Heresy.

4. The need for two subs? I can't see it. The crossover from the sub to the Heresy woofers is very unnoticable, I cannot isolate bass to a specific point in the room and I cannot see how I would need to get better feel. Maybe room openings negate any standing wave problems - time will tell on this, but remember this is not a small room (I'd say medium).

Finally - appearance. In my classic wood floor, cabinets and trim this unit is blatantly discerning. While fairly out of the way, it is a dominate presence. As to WAF - I got the same look from her that I got in her 21st hour of labor seventeen years ago - you know the one that said 'this is all your fault'. The sound will only partially win her over - a bigger room would do the trick. Pool side furniture shopping this week will ease the pain.

17 year old daughter loves it. Of course she is very nice to me because she wants to take the Z3 out on a date. I'll contnue to dangle that carrot until she tires of failure.

Good stuff SVS - I will tweak and listen over the next several weeks in anticipation of a good follow on review - Admittedly I am replacing a crap sub, so the first accolades are easy.

As to comparative, I can't offer that here, but as to price/performance (having spent enough money on this over the years) it is a great deal to this point. Specs tell me you would get limited return for much more bucks on most other's products - still think there are some closer priced units to review for purchase (Lord knows I did), however I am quite confident I will not regret this purchase for a match to my horns.

Back to tweaking and more to come....

------------------

Hwatkins

Good review!

You are right about the bottoming out, I believe the powered SVS series all have both a subsonic filter and a limiter to prevent any unwanted and damaging frequencies that may bottom out your woofer.

If you like your sub as well as I like mine, I know you are very happy, indeed.

As far as dual subs, I don't see the need in my med-lg room, either. My house will surely break before I could use the benefits of a dual sub. The only tweak I could recommend to anybody with a sub is to get a parametric EQ to level off the FR. It really helped my system - more than an additional sub for sure.

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KLF-C7 (center)

KG 1 (rears)

SVS 20-39CS+ (sub)

Aura Bass Shakers (pair)

Kenwood amp for sub and shakers

Denon AVR 681/1601

Congrats! Smile.gif

Thanks for the review too!

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

TV: Sony KV-ES38M91 (38" Direct View FD Triniton WEGA)

A/V Receiver: Marantz SR9200

DVD Player: Sony DVP-NS900V

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: Dual SVS CS-Ultras w/Samson S1000 amplifier

OH! A Z3, is it a stick or auto? What size engine? Coupr or Roadster?

I would want one, but I am too big to fit in one, I can barely fit in a 3. However, a 1990-1994 5 or 7 is on my shopping list. A 17-year old (me) with a car that cost $60,000+ new? Sounds good to meSmile.gif! I saw a nice 1992 740i in San Jose in my price rangeSmile.gif

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

I want a 2003 BMW M3! cwm35.gif

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

TV: Sony KV-ES38M91 (38" Direct View FD Trinitron WEGA)

A/V Receiver: Marantz SR9200

DVD Player: Sony DVP-NS900V

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: Dual SVS CS-Ultras w/Samson S1000 amplifier

KAiN64:

With a comment like that, you can be my friend for the rest of my lifeSmile.gif

0445.jpg

How could you not love this car?

My neighbor (4 houses down) has a new M3 in that color, DROOLTipsy.gif!

------------------

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Settle down boys!!

1997 BMW Z3, 5 speed, 2.8 Litre inline six cylinder.

Boston Green , Tan interior, Tan top

Extras:

17" Borbet wheels, Yokohama AVS Sport Tires, Dinan cold air intake, Dinan exhaust, Dinan stage 3 software, Strong Strut front tower brace, Butt Strut rear sway brace and fog lights.

Car turns about 235 hp at the rear wheels (as much as I think this suspension should handle). One owner, 37K miles - driven like a sports car. Daddy owns the keys and negotiates with those that want to come out and play.

OK - Forresthump - chime in about what the hell does this have to do with the forum....

Politics next week -

I'll return in a few days with a report on the results of my tweaking the system (as you can see - I even tweak the car)

------------------

Hwatkins

You better be careful with the keys!

530nailed.jpg

crash-mysterycar.jpg

crashedhard-4.jpg

------------------

It looks like all of those BMW accidents were from the BMW drivers running red lights/stop signs. Better make sure than whomever gets those keys knows where the brake pedal is! Smile.gif

------------------

RF-3 RC-3 RS-3 KSW-12

Sony Trinitron 32"

Denon 3802