Garage speaker

justinsweber

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave,

Could you say more about the crossover? In my ignorance, don't speak the language of the schematic. It looks like a fairly complex crossover for a two way speaker. I'm wondering what sort of issues are addressed in the crossover design. Is the crossover in the pic the later design? Looks very nice BTW. like mounting on the woofer cut out!

Guest David H

The crossover in the pic is the later design. This crossover is a reasonably steep slope, about 60db per octave.

The reason for this crossover is to protect the HF driver from the low frequencies and get a flatter response . The original econowave crossover I tested in Justins speaker has a hole in the response (approx -11db) at the crossover frequency. I originally corrected this by removing the woofer filter which allowed more overlap between drivers thus filling the hole.

I have not taken any measurements yet, with the new crossoer but the speaker sounds good overall.

Dave

• 3 months later...

I really like the rug on the wall. Nice touch...

My living room is rather damped, as I have a huge Karastan carpet on the floor over the original carptet. Fairly heavy curtains, and a bookcase that acts a bit as a QRD unit.

Bruce