pioneer sx-1050 opinions

dolbyscat

Though I'm not really in need of another stereo receiver I have the opportunity to buy a sx-1050 that is in remarkable condition. I am very happy with my HK 630 twin, but like the idea of all those extra watts (120) that the pioneer offers, and from past experiments with(borrowed) higher powered amps my RF-5's also like them. So, question is, has anyone here had first hand experience of the sx-1050.

yes...as a private in the army 35 years ago,....me and a few of my barracks rat buddies would drive one all week end look, A new one sound great to my 17 year old ears. They are a pain in the *** to work on. If you get it bring it up very slowly on a variac unless the current owners tells you it's been in regular use....and you believe them.

Great receiver, built like a tank, do a search for "pictures of pioneer sx-1050"..and take a look at the inside. My 1050 is setting on a friends bench waiting for a complete refurb. Also have the 950..850 and 650 and a pioneer referance A-717 amp. They all do a nice job with my Quartets and 5.5s..depending on the price you pay you should be pleased..good luck..Pat.

For the simply fact that it is 35 to 36 years old and there is always a half dozen or so on e-bay leads me to beleave the build quality is pretty good..still fairly easy to git parts for. Again though , it depends on the $ paid , deffinintly better amps and receivers to be had but i should have aprox 350 in my 1050 "that includes price pd and refurb cost"..and i consider it $ well spent.

I had one and loved it. Unfortuantly, one of the output stages went bad and took the driver stage on that channel with it. After sinking about $200 into it, I cut my losses, bought another Pioneer, and dismantled the 1050.

My theory as to why the 1050 died is that its former owner had raised Persian cats. More than once we opened it up to find cat hair bridfging the output terminals on the inside. After my pal gave me the 1050, my own cat loved the toasty warmth of even an idling 1050 and slept on it a lot. The continued shorts probably fried the output transistors and pulled too much current through the output and driver stages.

If the price and amp condition is right-go for it. It is amzing how good some of the old vintage equipment sounds. Nowdays, you buy a 100 watt amp at the entry level for a brand and pay $299, 120 watts $499, 140 watts and your are over $1000. Not much difference between the 100 and 140 watts in terms of power.

I had an SX-1050 for some time and liked it. I then picked up a Sansui 9090 (not DB) and liked it better. Both were basically stock. With the 9090, the bass was more detailed with more authority and it had a warmer sound to my ears. I would give the nod to the Pioneer on its tuner but I rarely listen to local radio anymore. Just my $.02.

I always check the DC offset, especially on Pioneer's of that vintage. They are getting notorious for needing caps in the power supply and pre-amp boards. You can look on line on how to check the DC offset. It is very simple using a common multi-meter.

I really dig the wall paper! Which album you holdin'? Looks like ELO in the background.

When your renting the downstairs apartment from your German landlord upstairs you suck it up and enjoy the nice floral print Bonz[:o] LOL

That is ELO in the background and I'm holding the Doobie Brothers "Living on the Fault Line"[;)]

Yes Boxx those stands were killer and had a 10" x 10" top plate which made them very stable, as a matter a fact before I left Germany I ended up stacking a pair of L-36's on top of those Advents. Those Advents to this day are probably some of the finest two ways I've ever heard plus I liked having a pair of acoustic suspension to go with those ported JBL's[:D]

Sweet Pioneer Dolbycat, they are hoses! Mine would "Shake the Devil" (RIP Tommy B.) driving both pairs of mine at the same time.