Center channel with Belles

LeeW

I have a pair Belles for the front and need a Center to go with it. I don't have the room for a third Belle, so I am looking for another option. Has anyone used an

RC 62 with the belles? How would the RC 62 compare to the Academy?

Thanks,

Lee

• Moderators

I wouldn't think any RF would match, could a Heresy fit ?

Reference speakers sound great but it a little different sound than the Heritage, both will sound really good , just one would match a little better with your Belles. imo

I'm with dtel on this one. Either a Heresy or possibly a split Lascala with the bass bin under the TV and the top cabinet above the TV. The Academy will match timbre better than the referene speakers, but it would be my third choice.

You can split a Belle, too, just as described above. Timbre counts. Either a split LaScala (a special La Scalla -- the regular ones don't split) or a split Belle (I believe they all split ... mine did, new c. 2005) would be your best bet. A Belle would be an almost exact timbre match because all three fronts would have the same midrange horn. They would also provide more headroom than most other speakers, due to their efficiency.

I have a Belle center and Klipschorn front left & right. The blend is good. My surrounds are Heresy IIs, and they sound noticeably different. Even though, according to Audyssey measurements, the Heresy IIs have smoother frequency response than the Khorns and Belle, they don't sound as "good," "free floating,"or "there." Ah, subjectivity triumphs>

I have a pair Belles for the front and need a Center to go with it. I don't have the room for a third Belle, so I am looking for another option. Has anyone used an

RC 62 with the belles? How would the RC 62 compare to the Academy?

Thanks,

Lee

I have Belles and an RC62 I would not go that route unless I already had the RC 62 and my center speaker budget was,$0 . . . If you want go a Reference center with your Belles, you would want to go with an RC64 . . . RC62 would have some trouble keeping up in voluminous situations.

One suggestion to consider before mixing Reference and Heritage lines, consider a Heresy for a center, even put on its side and angled to ear level. Many people choose a Heresy as a center between La Scala or Belle fronts when space is at a real premium; the Heresy is a solid match if using it for a center channel, which is primarily for voices. The Academy might have a little trouble keeping up with the Belles depending on your sound level.

So, Heresy would be a solid budget choice for your center. A split La Scala would be better for the Belle fronts than a Heresy. Best of all, a third Belle, split or not, makes a great and beautiful tv stand. So, on a tight budget, I would go with a Heresy, until I could fine a single split La Scala, or better yet a third Belle. All the best in your final choice.

Personally, I'd ratther go with nothing than an Academy. I used to have three Academy's. They were mated with my LaScalas. Bottom line is the LaScalas were SOOOOO much more sensative than the Academy's, they simply drown them out. Others may differ in opinion, but that's mine.

Richard,

I'd never really noticed the difference in sensitivity of the Academy (96 dB @ 1W/meter), ref: the La Scala (103 dB).

That's a pretty big difference..

To the OP: use a Heresy. They're cheap, available, sensitive, and sound very good full range, and their timbre will largely match other Heritage products.

Chris

Lee and Chris,

I started with an SC-3 way back when between my La Scalas. I knew
right away that there was a timbre mismatch. Saved up for an Academy and
even though it was much better, the left to right sweeps were still
just....... wrong. Decided to try a Heresy II. BINGO!

I remedied the sensitivity difference by boosting the center 2db.
Tried 4 and 6 which was too much. The high end on the HII was more than
the K-77s and that was fixed with some simple EQ cuts to the HII.
Likewise, the mids <6000KHz needed some very slight changes in EQ to the LS
squakers.

The left to right sweeps are now seamless and the center(s) don't wave at
you sonically saying, "Here I am!"

Admittedly, the HII are not perfect and I really hated cutting the highs on
them to match the mains but, until I spring for a Crites upgrade, I'm very
satisfied. I'm no longer noticing timbre mismatches while listening.
I'm just enjoying the music.

Also, I liked the Heresy so much, I got another and mounted it above the
screen. I was warned many times that this would be bad. Comb filtering,
cancellations, etc. I suppose these things could be there but, I haven't
noticed. I really like what the over/under brought. The dialogue is
now in the center of the screen which was what I was hoping! I'm tempted
to raise the La Scalas up 10" to match the center of the display,
too. It would be a fun test.

• Like 1

Also, I liked the Heresy so much, I got another and mounted it above the
screen. I was warned many times that this would be bad. Comb filtering,
cancellations, etc. I suppose these things could be there but, I haven't
noticed. I really like what the over/under brought. The dialogue is
now in the center of the screen which was what I was hoping!

Cool! Polar lobing (also called diffraction) by the vertically spaced Heresies will only be apparent if you move your listening position vertically - not horizontally, so the direction of the problem is confined in the "best direction".

I'm tempted
to raise the La Scalas up 10" to match the center of the display,
too. It would be a fun test.

You will most definitely hear a positive difference. I'd be careful about leaving any cavities or spaces under the La Scalas - setting them on solid risers is preferred over a "speaker stand" that leaves a gap underneath the cabinets.

Fun stuff.

Chris

Richard,

I'd never really noticed the difference in sensitivity of the Academy (96 dB @ 1W/meter), ref: the La Scala (103 dB).

That's a pretty big difference..

To the OP: use a Heresy. They're cheap, available, sensitive, and sound very good full range, and their timbre will largely match other Heritage products.

Chris

Unfortunately the Heresy is also only 96 db@1Watt/meter. It will match better though.