Pioneer Elite SC-61

iwander

Does anyone have any experience with this receiver? Local dealer had one for $1100 but not hooked up. It uses class D3 amps. Is that like ICE amps?

I'm looking for a HT receiver that can play STEREO MUSIC as well as my Nakamichi SR-4A receiver. Most AVR's I've heard don't seem to have the same dynamics or punch like the Nak. I'm starting to get into SACD's and my current Marantz NR-1601 just does not compare to the old Nakamichi.

The dealer also recommended Anthem MRX-500 at $1500. Again not setup.

I have Cornwalls front and rear with Heresey for center. Energy sub.

Thanks.

The D3 amps are solid performers and the SQ of the Pioneer's can be described as clean and neutral. They run cool and have plenty of power. MCACC and the pre-amp section are the best features. The room correction and total system integration is excellent. Pioneer does not EQ the sub but, approches bass management from a different angle. I tried 2 Denon's before setteling on my SC 35 and never looked back to see if anything is better..

How do the D3 amps perform compared to the ICE amps? I just put my SC-35 up on Craigslist and I was looking to pick up a SC-61 to replace it. Anybody know how to upgrade the firmware on a SC-35? Sorry OP if this takes the thread a little off track but I am very interested in reading the positive and negative responses about the SC-61. Looks like a solid performer on paper...

The Class D3 Advantage

Pioneer’s Class D3 amplifier, built into the SC receivers, generates immense power without sacrificing sound quality and performance. The exclusive class D technology requires less energy than competitive models yet produces more simultaneous power output, and is designed to maximize the audio potential of uncompressed sources such as Blu-ray Disc™ titles and high-definition audio content distributed on the Internet .

The amplifier section also uses a Direct Signal Path Design, configured with all of its internal components to have the shortest audio signal path possible, eliminating EMI filters, feedback loops, and current limiters that were necessary on previous designs. This results in a reduction of ringing distortion and noise, especially in the high frequency audio band. The receivers can produce up to 140 Watts per channel of power with great detail and high dynamic range. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Press-Room/Home-Entertainment/Pioneer+AV+Receivers+Amplified+by+Class+D3+Technology

The key feature of the D3 and ICE amp is the ability to deliver immense power for HT dynamics with umcompressed sources. The other key feature of Pioneer's digital amps, is that they don't sound digital for music fans. The DSP, Video processing and DAC are hard to compete with, unless you are going to spend mega bucks.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. SC-61 sounds like a winner.

I'll try Best Buy Magnolia. Our local BB doesn't carry Elite line. I hope they will match Amazon's price.

I read that Pioneer does not honor their warranty if bought through Amazon or other online stores. Should that be a concern?

derrickdj1. How does Pioneer handle the subwoofer setup. Or is it through the sub itself.

I would buy one with a warranty because all electronic can have early failures. Pioneer does not EQ the sub, it will adjust standing waves, phase issues and time domains. MCACC also allows more tweaking after the setup if needed. I run two subs which are well integrated with the speakers. I have taken measurement in my room with good results. Placement of the sub/s is the first and foremost important thing to have Goood bass. Second, is using a second sub to help smooth out the bass respone in the room. Using 2 or 4 sub help to control standing wave problems. Standing waves cause the bass to sound strong or weak in different parts of the room. Using two identical subs is best but not necessary, I have 2 different sub and they only take around 5 min. to setup and MCACC does the rest. I also run all of my speakers as small so that the avr does the bass management. If you need help with setup, just ask some of us Pioneer owners and AVS forum has a great thread on MCACC.

I'm a little concerned about the warranty with Pioneer Elite.

Don't be concerned. For every 1 unreliable sample there are hundreds of perfectly performing samples. Just buy from an authorized dealer. I think that is all Charles is trying to say.

Bill

I went to BB Magnolia in the LA area to see what they had. Sales person showed me Pioneer SC-61 and Yamaha RX-A2020. Specs and features were pretty even. Sound quality was also pretty close between them. Pioneer was priced at $1050 and Yamaha at $1250. Yamaha was cheapest at BB. They would not price match Amazon because prices were from outside vendors and not directly from Amazon. After all the listening and pricing, they did not have either one in stock. At this price range, I'm going to revisit the Anthem MRX300 or 500 receivers.

I have Cornwall II's for fronts. Heresy I for center. Cornwall I's for rear. I don't need a ton of power. Anthem MRX300 is 80wpc at 7.1. That's more than what I have now at 50wpc. I have no problems playing them at really loud levels. I have an Apple TV and a Roku. I can pretty much stream anything with these two at 1080p. My main source is OPPO 93 blue ray 3D player. It plays pretty much anything I have including external hard drives through USB. The MRX300 seem to fit my needs. The MRX500 has 100wpc at 7.1 and internet access. The room correction setup is ARC using a laptop and Anthem software. Comes down to price and availability.

Ended up getting the Anthem MRX500. Found a place a few hours north of me. Had one in stock and willing to deal if paid in cash. Authorized Anthem dealer. All the dealers in LA area had to order it. Two weeks out due to super storm Sandy. Dealer had it hooked up to Klipsch RF's. Sounded real nice. Sounds even better with my Cornwalls. Not even close. Hooked it all up and run the quick setup routine. 5.1 with Energy S10.3 sub. 1080P 3D. Speaker distances. Good to go after that. The sound is incredible. My CD's sound great. Very detailed. Played BB King and Jeff Beck DVD's. Felt I was there in the club with them. Played The Avengers and Bladerunner. Awesome sound. Dialog was crystal clear. Bass was tight. I will be setting it up for ARC room calibration later this week. It is a no frills receiver but it sounds so good. My search is done. If there is any interest, I'll start a new thread on the Anthem MRX500. Thanks for all the help.