Heresy vs Forte

TimFromMass

Ok so I have a pair of speaker lab K-horn clones with an upgraded tweeter. I'm in love with the sound. It looks like the apartment I'm moving into will not allow for the placement of the k-horns so they may have to go into storage for a couple of years. I'll be needing to find replacements for the interim and I won't be spending a lot of money. I know that ill be making (necessary) compromises, just trying to minimize those. The k-horns are the only heritage speakers I've heard and I love them obviously. I have not liked any of the modern klipsch speakers I've heard. I've heard and sold the reference series and the sound doesn't appeal to me at all.

With all that said I have several very reasonably priced Hersey's and forte's available. Given what I'm used to and my preference for the heritage sound and dislike for the reference sound which one will I likely be pleased with? The Hersey's will be paired with an avs 20-39. Will I lose a lot of dynamics with these smaller speakers? The forte's I assume will be more dynamic but is their sonic signature more akin to the reference or heritage sound? IF I could find a pair of chorus or Cornwalls where would those fit? Thanks in advance for the advice!

-Tim

I think the Heresy IIs and the Forte (I) have the same midrange. Could be wrong, but it would be on the spec sheet under Klipsch Discontinued. Don't know about the Forte II, or the Heresy III. The original Forte was a very good speaker. I have Heresy IIs for surrounds, and they are fine within their range, but need a sub. They don't have the dynamic sound of my front channels, which are Khorns with a Belle center.

Do you have room in your apartment for artificial corners for your Khorn clones? There are plans online somewhere ... maybe in the thin Klipschorn manual.

I would not give up on the Speakerlab khorns, I would enclose the backs, if the is the problem is the lack of good corners with the new location. These are what I built a couple years ago.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/142576/1453824.aspx#1453824

Drawing of the dimensions in the link below

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/storage/6/1456149/top%20and%20front%20dimensioned.jpg

They add another 100 lbs to them but the K horn bass bins will slide out with the removal of 6 - 1 1/4 screws from the bottom and 6 more 2 inch screws in from the back. Seems the project worked out ok as I only screwed the sides to the backs, tops, and bottoms without using any glue and the enclosed back cabs can be knocked down into a "flat pack" if needed to get it down from the upstairs room where they are at the moment. They could be better but for the money and time invested in these they are hard to beat. Since the pictures were taken I have pulled off the mouth braces that are screwed in from the backs. They are not for everyone as they are quite large. hope this helps

post-42841-13819823840316_thumb.jpg

I've actualy found a guy locally who has both a pair of Forte I's with crites x-overs, and Corwalls with Crites x-overs and upgraded midrange and tweeter... anyone have experience with these upgrades? I'll probably go hear those soon

-tim

Bob Crites is an active forum member here, and a trusted name in heritige Klipsch speakers. If they have his components, they are better than stock. What price was the guy asking for the speakers?

• 2 weeks later...

I'll try to help you out as best I can. I'm a traditionalist in that I believe Klipsch started going downhill after the introduction of the Forte and Chorus line of speakers. I understand their reasoning in that space became a principle factor in their continued sales. The Cornwall is a great speaker but too large. Klipsch realized this and offered alternatives at the expense of pure sound quality.

My suggestion would be to purchase a pair of Heresy's, or Cornwall's if space permits. Do not under any circumstances sell the K-Horns.

My personal opinion is that Klipsch lost all audio reproduction perfection when they deviated from their original line of speakers. It's really sad in that customers who purchase Klipsch products today have no clue as to the perfection the original their line of speakers. To me sitting on my couch in my living room having a pair of K-Horns in front of me is like a live concert at Symphony Hall in Boston.

My two cents is as follows. Get the Cornwall's if you can. i had my cornwall II's for about 20 years before i sold them. next up would be the forte II. it will have the klipsch sound with deeper base than the heresey. i do have a pair of Heresy's which i've owned since 1996. Currently one is a centre channel between my "jubilee's. keeps up ok.

Well so what happened Tim?

Inquiring minds and all...

Trying Choruses makes sense on space grounds, but, FWIW, the Crites'd Cornwalls in this house, despite size, are very tough to unseat and let move on to the next steward.

The way I see it, khorns aren't big if you're okay with Cornwalls, they're just a little taller. Key thing with the size is to listen at night with the lights off...