Winter boots

T2K

Anyone know anything about Sorel Conquest men's boots, experience-wise I mean?

K.

Long time owner of a pair of Sorel boots. 14" Leather uppers and felt liners. Very good boot.

The Conquest does not have a good reviews on line and at $200 a pair I think I would look at another boot in their line. Removable felt liners are preferrable to me as they dry faster and can be replaced. The Conquest has 400 grams of thinsulate. Personally I would prefer the felts. Also if you are planning for much sedentary snow time like hunting or ice fishing, get a size larger than your normal shoe size to accomodate heavy wool socks and polypropelene liners.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

I've worn work boots for 35 years walking on granite rock in all kinds of weather. I do a lot of walking so the boot must be light, that eliminates Red Wing and many others. And the quality of Wolverine boots, as you say Colter, has gone to crap over the last decade or so. About the only generic boots that are useful to me that I can find locally in-store are Timberland Pro boots at around $130 a pair.

After a few months of getting chewed on by rock the leather is no longer waterproof so I was thinking about buying something along the line of the Sorel's to wear the last winter I plan on working. I'm just not sure the soles of a snow-type boot would hold up to the wear they would get.

Maybe I'll just suffer the occasional cold wet foot exposure and buy a nice pair of Allen Edmonds shoes to wear when I retire next summer, God willing.

Thanks again.

Keith

Try out a pair of Matterhorns, they were THE THING for airborne infantry field boots (SUMMER AND WINTER!) until the current conflict required the tan boots instead of black ones. Light weight (you won't believe just how lightweight they are!!), waterproof leather, goretex membrane, thinsulate in between the leather outers and the cambrel lining, resolable vibram lug soles...so damned comfy that you can put them on the wrong feet and march all day and not feel much difference. Get some boot grease with gelled mink oil in it (no silicon!), and give them a good rub-down every month or so. They will last longer than you would expect!

-Andy

post-9310-13819824326206_thumb.jpg

+1 on the Matterhorns, wore them the last 4 years of service here in Germany and even by -18C they kept the feet warm with good socks. They were resoled twice due to wear and tear in the field and could take punnishment. As long as you dont close the pores when cleaning they stay waterproof.

And Andy is 100% correct with the comfort, like walking on pillows but tons of support.