New EL84SE DIY

Marvel

Ha! First thing I look at when I sit back Down after lunch Bruce my ears are burning. I have had more than a couple of fine 6BQ5/EL84 amps including both the dynaco versilns integrated and mono blocks. The 6BQ5 abd the 6AQ5 are fine audio tubes thats fior sure ask any guitar player.But who is Shannon Parks? The 6V6 is another fine tube and sometimes I like it more as a pentode than as a triode. 6L6 is great and the EL34 when you you want smooth and powerful. A PP 6BQ5 amp could make a pair of LaScala play with plenty of slam and detail. I also love the 2A3 but not so much poser. Serious Stereo 2A# set up for half a wat SE mono block is a freaky good powerful sounding amp I know thats hard to believe but I have listened and compared it is a stunning amplifire. Check it out but no it is not cheap but yes it is stunning. A very Happy thanks giving Bruce and also to your lovely wife. Best regards Moray James.

take the bell caps off them and if you are concerned place a plate of grounded copper between them. nice looking little amps not a lot of supply but I guess you get what you pay for. If you ever get the chance to listen to the Serious stereo units do so they are stunning no not cheap but they deliver in spades on steroids. In all likelyhood the finest amp I have heard. http://www.seriousstereo.com/ Best regards Moray James.

But who is Shannon Parks?

Ha... He lives in Champaign, Illinois, and has been making all these designs and boards for some time now. Everything he designs can be taken further, but he designs for cost and what it needs.He helps folks out who want to mod them and try different things. He has replacement boards for the frontend of most of the Dynacos, too.

He has a nice design for the octal base 6B4G tube, which is like a 2A3 in and octal base, 6 volt heater.

Bruce

i like how he lays every part out on the links, for 370.00 I don't think that is a bad price for someone wanting to get into tubes. Heck I even have all the tubes so that wouldn't be any extra cost. Dang it, Dang it, Dang It. I wish you guys would let some of us still trying to learn on one piece finish learning on it before you present something like this.

maybe a pilot SA-232 or dynaco st35 would be more fun to fix up and run?? T

I agree Pilot amps sound really good... I have a sa-260 sp 210 combo... The bass is amazing...quick ,fast, and it pounds...great mids and nice crisp highs... The sa-232 many feel is even better..... Plus they will only go up in value...

Looks similar to the Decware amp kit, with the pc board and all. I couldn't get the link to work, so I am in the dark about the actual specs. Should be a fun build for someone who wants to get their feet wet in the DYI tube amp hobby.

Definitely easier than doing a point to point for your first build.

The top plate is actually a printed cricuit board, so it was easy to make and get silkscreened. The Edcor OPTs are inexpensive ($26 ea.), so they don't have much bottom end. Some Magnequest OPTs would be superb, but might be overkill for this amp. The Magnequest DS-025s are $200 each, but they also have windings for 4/8/16 ohms. They have some others that might work ok for much less.

He hasn't posted any specs or test results yet. [*-)]

Bruce