I am going to buy some klipschorn and I have some questions !

niklos0

Hello everyone !

I am going to buy a pair of klipschorn from the foundator of KTR LAB (some french HiFi company) and they don't look like ordinary klipschorn.

Here are some pictures of them !

What do you think about those speakers ? Are they as good as the "classic" klipschorn ? Why do they look so weird ? The type is KB-BB.

I have an onkyo M5590 which is a very powerfull power amp. May be too power full (2x200W) how is it going to be with the klipschorn ?

By the way, switch from RF5 to klipschorn !

169327485615.jpg

Thanks for your help !

Niklos

PS : sorry for my poor english. I am french :-)

Are they as good as the "classic" klipschorn ?

Yes - those look like type "D" K-horns. See picture below. They are called "decorator" style so that the owner can customize them for their own use.

I have an onkyo M5590 which is a very powerful power amp. May be too powerful (2x200W). How is it going to be with the Klipschorn?

That's not too powerful, but over time, you might want to try a class "A" amplifier of lower power and high quality. Your present amplifier will be sufficient to provide much pleasure, IMHO.

Chris

post-28404-1381982485757_thumb.gif

Those look like the first pair of K-horns I purchased. $675 US - built in 1975. They were great sounding speakers.

The cabinets decorator or utility. Many night clubs used them back then because they were unfinished and where cost was a factor, lacking nice veneer that was going to get destroyed by customers helped price wise.

$675 US ! this make me dream ! Now they cost... 4500€/pair in france so almost $6000 US... But that the price they always cost in france...

Actually a brand new pair of klipschorns, costs in France, 16000€/pair ==> $21 000 US....

Anyways, thanks for the help !

I think I will sell my amp to buy some class A amplifier instead. May be a vaccum amplifier... I will see.

I would try your present amplifier before selling.

There is a discussion on vacuum tube-type amplifiers midway down the page in this thread that is recommended. Khorns have widely varying input impedence (4.5 ohms at 55 Hz, to 42.3 ohms at 2.1 KHz) and the use of a lower output impedance amplifier, other than a SET or OTL, will simplify the mating of amplifier(s) to speakers. Good push-pull vacuum tube amplifiers will have enough forward gain for the designer to provide enough feedback that lowers otherwise very high output impedance (also known as "low damping factor") of tube-type amplifiers.

Chris

$675 US ! this make me dream ! Now they cost... 4500€/pair in france so almost $6000 US... But that the price they always cost in france...

Actually a brand new pair of klipschorns, costs in France, 16000€/pair ==> $21 000 US....

Anyways, thanks for the help !

Are you saying that you would be paying US$6000 for the pair shown above?

I wonder what the overhead in price is for Jubilees in France. Since you might be able to get those factory-direct, they might not cost much more than those KHorns! Didn't someone in England get Jubs this year?

Well Yes, I thought I was going to spend $6000 for those speakers... Finally I won't. I guess it is better to keep this money for my future house... I believe I will regret this for my whole life... I hope I will find some other one in 10 or 20 years !

Thanks everyone for your help !