Estate sale find - Fisher FM-AM Model 80-T

mustang guy

This is a pretty sweet deal, and since it only cost me $3.00, I am not too scared to screw up. I found the manual at http://www.fisherconsoles.com/non%20console%20manuals/fisher%2080t%20tuner%20manual.pdf. It is cleaning up nicely. The petina on the bottom of the face is gone, as is the finish. I used ketchup to get rid of the petina, brake fluid to get rid of the finish, and a grey scotch pad to shine the copper faceplate. I don't have any pics of it, but it looks great. I may age it, then clearcoat it, and I may just let it age naturally. It is really quite attractive. Anyhow, here are some pics of before cleaning, etc.:

IMG_0764.jpg

IMG_0769.jpgIMG_0765.jpg

IMG_0766.jpgIMG_0767.jpg

So far it's lookin' pretty good. How did the face come out?

Faceplate: Ketchup to remove green tarnish, followed by brake fluid to remove varnish, followed by grey scotchpad to shine and give brush finish.

faceplate.jpg

Knob: Toothpast and soft toothbrush followed by Brasso and toothbrush, and microbiber towel for final shine.

before:

IMG_0800.jpg

after:

IMG_0799.jpg

Nobody in the Omaha area must have purchased fine audio gear back in the day, as I feel I have been to every estate sale and auction and find nothing like this. Yes you can say I am jealous. But I must say nice score and great job on the restore, ketch it up(I meant keep it up)the good work that is.

Wow the before and after are worlds apart, that is amazing work!!

Never knew you could use ketchup for cleaning

Thanks!

Yup. It is a good way to make pennies shiny. Vinegar and salt work also, but this was right in the fridge... [:)]

Picking up some great tips to be used on a project such as this one.... Thanks...

I'm learning as I go. I hardly think I am the go to guy for this type of thing. I could definitely learn a thing or two myself! Anything I find out as I learn stuff I am always eager to share with all my Klipsch buds.

Great work Craig! Have you powered it up yet?

No for two reasons. One, I am missing a tube. Two, I got carried away and cleaned the tube numbers off about 4 tubes. LOL

Oh and thank you . . .

Nobody in the Omaha area must have purchased fine audio gear back in the day, as I feel I have been to every estate sale and auction and find nothing like this. Yes you can say I am jealous. But I must say nice score and great job on the restore, ketch it up(I meant keep it up)the good work that is.

I definitely got lucky. When I saw "THE FISHER" I figured they's have priced it at $50. Much to my surprise it was $3. Needless to say, I carried it all around, because I was afraid to set it down. the damn thing got heavy. [:)]

I'll check mine to see if it is the same model. If it is I'll send it to you for parts if interested.

Thank you. I will let you know. You might want to hang on to it. If I get this thing running, you may decide it's worth your while to fix that one up!

Before and after: The unit is sitting on one of my LaScalas in front of my Harley lava lamp. I still need to fill the black paint in where the lettering was boiled out by the brake fluid.

IMG_0764.jpg

IMG_0804.jpg