New speaker advice needed.

crouse

The following are for sale in my area: LaScalas that have been refinished and fitted with new tweeter diaphrams and new caps. From talking to the seller, I don't think there were any upgrades, just replaced the EV tweeters and used replacement caps. He wants $1000, may go lower. 2 and 1/2 hours away are a pair of Forte IIs. Good shape except for a small hole in one of the dust caps. Taking best offer, I was going to go about $500. My third choice is a new pair of b stock Heresy IIIs for around $1200. I would probably later add a subwoofer to go with the H IIIs. Here's the deal. Realistically, I would only have a chance to hear the LaScalas, so I would be buying either of the other two "blind." (deaf?). BTW, I am currently using a Music Hall a15.2 integrated amp but may add a vintage Marantz receiver of the 22xx series. Suggestions?

Thanks

The following are for sale in my area: LaScalas that have been refinished and fitted with new tweeter diaphrams and new caps. From talking to the seller, I don't think there were any upgrades, just replaced the EV tweeters and used replacement caps. He wants $1000, may go lower. 2 and 1/2 hours away are a pair of Forte IIs. Good shape except for a small hole in one of the dust caps. Taking best offer, I was going to go about $500. My third choice is a new pair of b stock Heresy IIIs for around $1200. I would probably later add a subwoofer to go with the H IIIs. Here's the deal. Realistically, I would only have a chance to hear the LaScalas, so I would be buying either of the other two "blind." (deaf?). BTW, I am currently using a Music Hall a15.2 integrated amp but may add a vintage Marantz receiver of the 22xx series. Suggestions?

Thanks

Sounds like a nice problem to have!

I don't run any speakers as small as any of these any more, having said that, I would only use the Heresies for a surround speaker or a bedroom or den speaker, so they are out of the equasion in my book.

If you like it loud, the LaScalas are your answer and willl sound great with the Marantz gear. I however appreciate the sound of the Forte IIs a little better then the LaScalas.

Next problem; enough room to place these speakers, do you have it and do you have two good corners that are unobstructed? The LaScalas have a large footprint, but the ForteIIs HAVE to be run in the corners for best sound! Secondly, the ForteIIs have to be pulled out from those corners enough that they will take up just as much floor space as the LaScalas.

Next Problem; WAF, The Forte IIs win hands down on this one!

Next Problem; Frickin pets if you have them in the house! The LaScalas don't have a grill or accesible driver cones for som dumb dog or cat to snag or scar up. Read young kids into this equasion as my sisters son drew on the passive driver with crayon and poked holes in it on one of her Quartets.

You should easily be able to answer your own question for yourself with the data I have provided.

Good Luck and post some pictures when you get your new speakers.

Roger

LaScala

Forte

Heresy

the only one that you could get away with sans sub are the Forte if that is a major concern. None of those prices are a stel go now run kind of price but they are ok if in very good condition. If you hang tough and don'r mind some restore work you can likely do a lot better but you have to account for your time unless it is a pleasure to do and considered part of the journey and a labour of love. Good luck and remember bigger horns are better than smaller ones like the Heresy K701 which needs help to sound good. Best regards Moray James.

LaScalas. sounds like a good deal. You will probably enjoy the fully horn loaded sound. to my ears, it is very good.

In the future you might want to add subs to your system with them, anyway. There are some limitations on bass extension due to the size of that folded horn in the cab. I have a sub in my system with LaScalas to round out the low end. Don't always use the sub, though, the LS are really fine speakers on their own.

I listened to the LaScalas today and bought them ($900). I've hooked them up to my system and they sound great. They are a little light on the low end so I may add a sub at a future date. There is an interesting story behind them. Apparently, in the 80s a member of the Klipsch family attended All Saints School in Vicksburg, Ms. The company donated some speakers to the school. At least 2 pair of LaScalas and some Heresys. The guy I bought them from is a musician who used to teach photography at the school. Over the years, the speakers became pretty beat up and he ended up with them for little or no money when the school decided to get rid of them. He fixed them up and now I have them. I will try to post pictures tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for your feedback.

I listened to the LaScalas today and bought them ($900). I've hooked them up to my system and they sound great. They are a little light on the low end so I may add a sub at a future date. There is an interesting story behind them. Apparently, in the 80s a member of the Klipsch family attended All Saints School in Vicksburg, Ms. The company donated some speakers to the school. At least 2 pair of LaScalas and some Heresys. The guy I bought them from is a musician who used to teach photography at the school. Over the years, the speakers became pretty beat up and he ended up with them for little or no money when the school decided to get rid of them. He fixed them up and now I have them. I will try to post pictures tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for your feedback.

As for a sub, if you want the best, look at building a horn loaded sub. After all, those laScalas are 100% horn loaded. For music, you can't go wrong with the Bill Fitzmaurice table tuba. One of our forum members just finished building one. You can check the thread out over in the subwoofer forum. The name of the thread is plywood cutting tutorial if I remember correctly.