mmcarbo

I'm trying to match a decent sub with a set of Klipsch KSB 3.1 bookshelf
speakers. Budget is $400 max. I currently have an old Yamaha YST-SW60
sub. It has, in my opinion, very muddy sounding bass. I borrowed a
Klipsch RPW-10 and liked the crisp bass it put out. I'm looking at the
Klipsch RW12d, SW450, and KW100. I like the idea of down firing because I
don't want cats clawing either a grill or speaker. If front firing is
the way to go I'll try and figure something out. The sub will be used
50/50 TV and music. I will have to place the sub against a flat wall. Also looking at a Sub12HG. Will the 10" Synergy have clean low end?
ANY advise will be appreciated.

I'm kinda new to this. I haven't shopped for a sub since around 1990. Is a 12" sub too big to sound clean with music? I listen to primarily guitar driven hard rock. I was looking at the down firing because our cats may damage the front grille.Is the sw-450 comparable in quality to the RW12d? I would hate to buy a sub and not be able to use it for music...

Is the sw-450 comparable in quality to the RW12d?

I had an SW 450 and it was a very nice sub with plenty of impact for HT and movies. The RW 12d is a larger sub and will go just a little lower. It also looks better and the going price is better. I don't know how much of the sub you want to feel with movies and that is worth considering before your purchase. A lot of the old talk about subwoofer quickness is not relavent and all depends on the quality of the sub. People have not been able to pick out a ported vs a sealed sub in some blind comparison testing.

I was looking at a Sub 12HG on Amazon for $299 or the Sub 10 for $199. How does the 12HG compare to the RW12D? I'm nervous about grille and speaker damage and like the idea of down firing for that reason.I don't need to knock stuff off the walls, just fill in the lows in music and movies.

Roughly a 14x25 room with woodflooring. I was told by a salesman today to stay away from down firing because it would be too boomy. He also said to stay with an 8 or 10. Confused doesn't begin to describe me right now. I was listening to an Energy 10" that didn't seem to bad. Seemed to have tight bass without a lot of ringing boom. No 12" to compare. Music performance is important. I want to be able to hear it, not just feel it.

I have a bic and it is a powerhouse for movies. Well worth the money. But for music it can be beat. I have never heard the RW-12d. Now if it can be beat without spending more money I'm not sure. If you could squeeze a little more into your budget it would save a little more and a little longer and buy an epik legend. Super musical sub with dual 12"s and you won't beat that for the money. Plenty of legend owners on here and I bet they would agree 100%

I have a bic and it is a powerhouse for movies. Well worth the money. But for music it can be beat. I have never heard the RW-12d. Now if it can be beat without spending more money I'm not sure. If you could squeeze a little more into your budget it would save a little more and a little longer and buy an epik legend. Super musical sub with dual 12"s and you won't beat that for the money. Plenty of legend owners on here and I bet they would agree 100%

Those are all sold out until further notice. I just hope they aren't going belly-up.

Well I heard rumor but it is what it is. Just a rumor. I know they just had their Black Friday cyber Monday stuff and they sold 100% of their inventory.

That's kind of been their M.O. The guy who ownd EPIK is the same guy the owned Ascendant Audio. Super nice guy who I've talked to several times over the phone. I believe he used to be a concert Cellist at one point. Ascendand Audio made top of the line subwoofer drivers and had several lines and sizes. I believe his sales outgrew his output and caused him to sell his business to Scott at Ficaraudio. He just couldn't keep up. His company consisted of him, his father and maybe an employee or two at times (I believe). The same thing may be happening at EPIK however that's just my opinion. His sales is outgrowing production.