Questions about modifications involving passive radiators

CANT

My first question is does the orientation of the radiator affect its performance (or anything else)? I dont mean where on the box either I mean with the spider on interior of the box or on the exterior. I cant think of anything right off the bat that would affect the performance either way but there may be an issue with spider resonance or something?

Second, If you were to mount the radiator with the spider on the exterior of the cabinet how might the opening affect its performance. I.E. mounting a 12in radiator over a 10in opening or a 4in opening?

It might also be helpful to know this idea is in reference to woofer and not a subwoofer

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

CANT,

A passive radiator serves a function similar to a cabinet port. Changing the orientation or other such things with a passive radiator would result in some change in the sound in the lower frequencies. Like changing the dimensions of a port, the resulting change would change the frequency to which the cabinet is tuned. One might be able to hear a difference in sound. Whether the difference is an improvement is a matter of subjective preference.

• Moderators

If it's not the flat type PR but more like whats on the Forte's, having it reversed would also change the internal size of the cabinet, good or bad change I don't know ? I would go back to what Daddy Dee said.

I would prefer, for now, not to expose my full project to avoid opinion based comments...

What you said about tuning did make me realize I could flip one of my KG4 PR's around and A - B the pair as an experiment! I'm not sure I have a good way to restrict the cut out for the PR to test that aspect though?

• Moderators

I would prefer, for now, not to expose my full project to avoid opinion based comments

Well that's what we do best. [:o]

Just kidding, test it out, what your doing is more or less tuning and the results can vary greatly, just keep a way to easily go back to original to reset your ears. And have fun [Y]

As far as I know facing out or facing in will make no diffetrence at all and facing in will make playing with the tuning easier, I assume that was what you have in mind? I have no idea what you are referring to when yousay "opening". What is it you are thinking about doing? Clearly a 12" passive ofer a 10" opening is not going to work 100%, I am sure it will work but not optimally. Hard to give some sort of answer when the question is unclear. Best regards Moray James.

Cant,

My question about your speakers is regarding their make and age. If they are vintage, it is very likely that the capacitors in the crossovers have drifted off spec over the years. It is an inexpensive proposition to install fresh caps. This will essentially restore the speakers to factory spec. In my experience, this has provided delightful results hearing the speakers as they sounded when they left the factory. The results have been surprising to me. In addition to this, speakers at factory spec (essentially I know exact spec may not be possible, but much closer than they are now anyway) provides an important base line from which to judge any additional modifications.

I tend to be very good at asking unclear questions... and I fully expect vague answers in return. The exchange sometimes helps me think though and opens up dialog that may not have existed had I been more specific. I apologize for any frustration. On a more specific note, I can say that the KG4 test was interesting. I really didnt think the orientation would have an impact. Aside from the added volume of air now in the cab nothing was changing and how much air could that possibly be (if someone wants to do the math have at it)? I guess enough? In comparison I seemed to notice more low bass and less low midrange frequencies, obviously retuning the arrangement. I can not say I was a fan of the KG4 with this new PR orientation but it was a useful test.