1st home theater..help

mdg1

Hello, I need some help.

I'm wanting to put together a home theater system, but I only have $1,000 to spend on everything. Is this possible and what is the best you can think of for the money. This price is for speakers, I have about $400 for the receiver. Any sugestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Do you want floorstanding speakers or bookshelf speakers?

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

TV: (Still deciding)

A/V Receiver: Marantz SR9200

DVD Player: Arcam DV88

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: Dual SVS CS-Ultras w/Samson S1000 amplifier

I'd suggest the Klipsch Synergy System 6. It is composed of the SB-1 bookshelf mains, SC-.5 center, and SS-.5 rears, along with a 10" or 12" sub. Go for a 12" sub.

You will have no trouble getting this setup for $1000, probably less. If you are willing to go with "unauthorized" distributors on the Internet, you can save more, but caveat emptor.

Doug

------------------

My System

You both lose as you both didn't mention an A/V receiver! cwm32.gif

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

For $1000, I would recommend piecing together your own system from the Synergy line, rather than going with the Synergy 6 package. I just got these prices from acousticsounddesign.com, they are similar to other online retailers, but quite a bit less than an authorized store will charge.

- SF1 floorstanding fronts ($380/pair)

- SC1 center channel ($180)

- SS.5 surrounds ($180/pair)

- KSW10 subwoofer ($260) orc>

- KSW12 subwoofer ($350)c>

I think this arrangement would give you a significant improvement beyond the already good sound of the Synergy 6 package which you can get for about $700 online.

I don't know squat about receivers, sorry.

This message has been edited by tripod on 06-19-2002 at 05:44 AM

I would get the KSW-12 over the KSW-10. It's worth it.

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

I would really take a look at the outlaw audio 1050 ($499) or the new Onkyo receivers in this price range. Depending on how much music you listen to vs. watch tv or movies. The outlaw is a musical 6.1 receiver while the newer onkyo are also 6.1 but add dolby pro-logic II for tv use. I would also recommend if you are on a budget to look at older used klipsch speakers, such as KG3.2/KG4.2/KG5.2/KG5.5/KG4 as mains and KV3 as center and smaller kg's as rear. I was able to piece together a very nice sounding system for $400 for all 5 speakers and used the difference between buying new to buy a quality 3 channel amp they really increased the quality of the sound. While I dont have a sub, the KG4's do have a 12" passive radiator and I live in a apartment. If you really listen to music and have the ability for good placement of the speakers, then most of the time a good 2 channel stereo will sound just as good for movies (albeit without the rear effects)

MDG,

IMHO, I would not get a 2 channel receiver for HT use, you will eventually be disappointed. I like some of the ideas in this thread regarding piecing together sets of used Klipsch speakers since its exactly what I did. I am ecstatic about my setup (although I would have slightly exceeded a $1000 budget). If you are patient and put together a used matching set, you will, in the end, have a system that sounds better than a package deal. Good luck.

Dan

------------------

Danartdis system

HK AVR 500

Heresy mains

Heresy rears

Academy center

JBL 4638"sub"woofer

PE 250 watt sub amp

Honestly, I'd agree with piecing together a system from used speakers, also. For simplicity sake, I suggested the System 6 since it's all matched and easy to acquire.

The older stuff will give you more bang for the buck, as it is used, but will take a bit more work to assemble. I think it's worth the effort, but to each thems own... Smile.gif

Doug

------------------

My System

You all rock!!! I really appreciate all the help with the system. I do listen to quite a bit of music ( I am a high school band director) but i don't want to loose the mid-range sounds that some systems do. That's why I like the Klipsch line. You get great highs, awesome bass ( I will get the 12) and increcible mid range. Keep the info coming!!!

MDG1