Stacked Cornwalls or K-horns?

SBinLilRock

I've had my cornwalls for a couple months now, and I love them. But, now I've got k-horn fever. I haven't actually listened to k-horns, but from what I've read they are in a different league. I have two pretty good corners--not perfect--each corner has one good wall and one with a window. Chances are it won't happen anytime soon. I just have to find someone who wants to trade a set of k-horns for (2) sets of cornwalls that just happens to be in driving distance.[:D]

I doubt anyone will take that trade, even though it's close enough to fair. You'd be better of selling both pairs of Cornwalls and using that money to buy your K-Horns.

BTW, I don't think perfect corners are all that critical. I never had perfct ones. However, for what you describe, maybe your window sills are high enough off the ground that they are above the bass bin of K-Horns.

Good luck!

Yes, K-Horns are in a different league, but I'm not so sure that they are better bang for the buck. A pair of Cornwalls for $700-800 is better bang per $, IMO. The problem with the K-Horns is that your ability to place them is far more limited. They are pretty, though, with the wood fronts. And they do sound pretty darn good.

Edit: Chris (a/k/a tigerwoodkhorns) built some "fake corners" on a set of KHorns he had/has. He did a very nice job! If you need to consider that, look him up.

In his sig. 83 and 87

Stacking is generally a bad idea because it exacerbates the effects of comb filtering. Why not put one in each corner and sit in the middle? A different set of problems, but not as bad, and it can sound really good. That, or work towards selling them off, adding some cash, and start your search for some Klipschorns.

In his sig. 83 and 87

Stacking is generally a bad idea because it exacerbates the effects of comb filtering. Why not put one in each corner and sit in the middle? A different set of problems, but not as bad, and it can sound really good. That, or work towards selling them off, adding some cash, and start your search for some Klipschorns.

Can't really do four cornes. The wall opposite their present position is an open wall. There does seem to be some kind of synergy going on with the room and them stacked though. They really sound good. Each corner sounds like one speaker. Sometimes I have to walk up to them to make sure the tops and bottoms are playing. I am on an eventual klipschorn mission. I'm not in that big of a hurry though. I've only had the corns a couple of months, and I do love them--I just can't get k-horns off my mind.[:D]

If you've got the corners, get Khorns. When I got Khorns had been listening to LaScalas with a subwoofer and was already pleased with the sound but was still curious about Khorns. I was astonished, and to my ears the improvement of Khorns over LaScalas and subwoofer. The way they nest in the corners they load the room differently. Bigger sound.

I agree with Dee : We sold our Klpischorns a few months ago, mainly because of interior design changes, but there are times I miss them. Fascinating speakers that take up far less space than one might expect, and, in the right room, can project a center stage image that is uncanny. We are back to our original configuration consisting of la Scalas plus subwoofer. Great sound as well, but somehow smaller in scale, for lack of a better way to describe it right now, than the k-horns. I recall mention of stacking enclosures above. Don't be afraid to experiment. Sometimes it pays to give unorthodox applications like that a try, which certainly need not be permanent if the results are less than satisfactory.

SBinlilrock: I understand about not having perfect corners. I think many K-horn owners can empathize with you on that. Ours weren't perfect either; I had to cut out a big chunk of window sill in order to snug them in the best I could -- which I did when my ever patient wife wasn't home (I confess). They were 21 feet apart, and along the long v.s. short wall (a width of about 16 feet). I really, really like our La Scalas, a great pair of industrial trapezoidal with fiberglass and aluminum trim - a nice feature that rduces those occasional bumps and abrasions to a non-issue. But I have to say there are things the Klipschorns were able to do that the La Scalas match within maybe 85-90%. The Klipschorns, for all their size, are capable of one heck of a disappearing act. Remarkable.

I have a room that has only one corner. Have a speaker in that corner, and the others are somewhere near where corners might be. It's not perfect, and I quit adjusting the speaker position as it became a moving contest between SHMBO and my self. I would adjust for me to listen and she would turn to where she like the sound best. At least she don't know how to adjust the old Marantz quad. And she leaves the KHorns alone in their room. Corners in there are not perfect but they do sound nice...............Taz

Corners help, but not always necessary for enjoyment. Unless you are a perfectionest and ain't non of us perfect.

• 3 weeks later...