When to oil the Khorns?

Dmitry

What signs are we to look for to determine whether the veneered Khorn bins need an oilin'?

Thanks!

Well, like anything else, when you check the Dipstick and it's in the "Add" range, it's time to oil! [;)]

Okay, Sorry but I couldn't resist (obviously)!! [:$]

When you see the wood drying out or loosing it's luster, I would oil soon to prevent any cracking, splitting or the like.

Dennie

I wouldnt wait till I see a problem, do it ever 6 months or so, with wipedowns in between. I"ve been using Howards feed and wax for awhile now, and I keep my rag in a ziplock bag so I can re-use it, it will just keep getting better with time ( the rag ) I do the same thing with my gun cleaning, been using the same rag there for prolly 3 years, use Hoppe"s #9 spray on the guns

Well, like anything else, when you check the Dipstick and it's in the "Add" range, it's time to oil! Wink

Or every 3,000 hours. [H]

I wonder what oil was originally used by the Klipsch factory wood-finishers. MY K-horns are 1983 vintage.

I will have to add this - I paint and refinish for a living. Our VOC [volatile organic compound] Laws make manufacturers put less and less thinner in oil based products each year or so. The thinners are what make products dry hard in a reasonable time. You have to put them back in to get the results that old time products gave. Stoddard solvent is mostly gone. It's for our health. Ventilate inside work areas well. chris

Yes, the painter who worked in our house lamented the lack of oil-based paint as well. Apprently, you can still source it through Benjamin Moore, which is what he did, and the finished job looks great, and according to him, will last longer than the water-based pints would.

What would be your regimen for oiling the Khorns? First coat - a mixture of blo+mineral spirits? In what proportion?

I also have a question on the removal of plant-stains on top of the upper bin . Previous owner's wife must've had a collection of plants. Stains are dark in color.

No one has asked the obvious question. Are you confident that the cabinets actually have an oil finish and not lacquer finish or a home made urethane etc?

If that is the case, then the suggestions above are off the mark. Is the cabinet labelled (eg, HCBR etc), or is there any reason to think the finish was later re-done as a DIY project?

What would you suhggest using to clean the surfaces prior to applying the BLO? Cabinets look like they've never been cleaned or oiled by the previous owner.

Maybe I am way off base but how's about Murphy's Oil Soap? Supposedly its for wood. I am talking just for the cleaning not re oiling.

babadono

a cleaning using the mineral spirits before BLO treatment would be advised. Just put a little thinner on rags and wipe the surface clean.

Stronger solvents will strip the finish. Don't apply to or soak the surface as this may loosen the veneer. chris

Thanks again. Just wanted to clarify.

The Big Snowstorm is coming. Just the time to oil them Klispchorns.