When to oil the Khorns?

Dmitry

Thanks, Chris. It appears that the BLO is what was used in theKlipsch factory.. I will use it on my speakers.

I don't intent to cut it with Turpentine, like some do. The smell would be awful and it would linger on for days.

You'll want to use a thinner, not very much, but BLO is just a bit thick for my liking. The thinner will allow it to absorb quicker, plus there's less chance of over-applying. If you decide to go straight BLO, be careful not to apply too much; it's a biach to remove excess once it's sets.

We;ve discussed this before.

Never use Murphy's Oil Soap. It is only for use on a floor with a thick varnish coat.

It really is a soap. Soaps are made with a fat or oil and caustic (like lye). Larry C here had a very bad experience. It will cause irreversable damage to wood.

WMcD

• Moderators

When I went reading about BLO for different things I built I found it was said if it's for the kitchen counters or kids toys do not thin just use it straight. So thinking the thinner was worse than the BLO I went straight BLO. I had a old gallon here but it seems it's best to get fresh BLO.

I got a new gallon and the smell was much less than to older can I had. I used it to oil some big Oak plywood bins that were stained and it worked fine straight, the second coat a few weeks later went on a little different, soaked in less and had to be rubbed in a little more to remove any excess. It turned out well, I should do it again but there really big and a lot of Square feet and not easy to get everywhere needed, I have just been putting it off. [:$]

A great product that is easy to work with and closely resembles the BLO finish is Watco brand Rejuvenating Oil. Make sure to follow the directions on the can and do not overapply or you can get a gummy finish. If overapplied, more Watco will dissolve the other product. Stephen Phillips, Sr. Tech Support recommended this for a very dry set of Klipsch cabinets - once a week for a month, once a month for a year. Ok, maybe not that much, but the key to a good finish is elbow grease. It's all that rubbing that smooths out the finish and gives you that glow. Do make sure that your original finish is not lacquer before beginning, work in a ventilated area and dispose of rags properly.