LaScala Question -- Quick reply PLEASE

DANOCASTER

ok folks...I just lost a pair of belles for $900. But i just found locally 3 LaScalas at $199 each and can probably get all three for $500. They are painted white and done so pretty sloppily but a little black paint and elbow grease and they could look pretty good. These have built in handles on the top/side.Is that normal ?? Am I right in thinking that $199 is a great price even if they are a "little" rough. ** What component, etc do I need to look for ? Are some better than others ..Please let me know asap - as these are on 24 hr HOLD for me !! Thanks !!

Hoo Hah!!

199.00 for a La Scala is a very good price. Have the seller hook them up and if they sound OK Scoop Them!!

Here is a set on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1360413971

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

This message has been edited by lynnm on 06-19-2002 at 12:46 PM

The handles are not unusual. La Scalas were most often used in commercial applications. Sounds like these were.

GO GET THEM! Or tell me where they are :-)

Dave

------------------

David A. Mallett

Average system component age: 30 years.

Performance: Timeless

Actually, I'd be happy to purchase one of the three from you if you only need two...

I am in need of a center for my Khorns.

Can't believe all these Klipsch deals in Nashville.

Dave

------------------

David A. Mallett

Good man! Wondered why you were at your computer again whilst the Klingons were gitten yer Klipsch!

Let me know about the third one.

Dave

------------------

David A. Mallett

To use the phrase from Hawaii 5-0.... "BOOK EM DANO!!!!" Put em on "casters" and "steal em" as fast as you can. You DanoCaster you!!

Seriously, if all parts are there...and work.? For $199. and some elbow grease//// You have a terrific find. As I hate to suggest this too, you could probably sell the parts alone on EBAY and make $$ too.

If they look good, but you decide you do not want them for 400 for the pair.. I will drive from Indy to purchase them from you. ASAP (Can you tell I am drooling here..LOL.)

I had two Industrial pairs with metal trim/ split cabinets in college. I always liked the sound of Klipsch La Scalas cranked up!!

There must be some kind of "anti-Klipsch" thing going in the Nashville area...seems like alot of churches and such are getting rid of 70's era LaScalas and other models and replacing them with JBL arrays and such. Engineer Jim told me that his recent aquisition of his MCM1900 system was from that area...the Grand Ole Opry, as a matter of fact!! And I know of a number of churches in a 100 mile radius of Nashville that have recently begun selling-off LaScalas and replacing them with other stuff!! This kinda makes me wonder if anybody at Klipsch is even trying to market their pro-line or not!!

------------------

I can now receive private messages

WELL..I GOT EM !! ACTUALLY..I went back to "investigate" and ending up walking out the door w/ a PAIR for $350 !!! The 3rd had a Peavey horn. Two were fine w/ original parts,consecutive serial #s, and made in '82. They kinda looked crappy- all painted white(w/ a brush !!) ,over blue, over red. Anyway...so they were telling me "You dont want these ol' things!!" but I made them take em apart to see the drivers and then hook em up. They sounded great - even a crappy ol' power amp. They were kinda surprised but wanted to show me "what I really should get " ( a pair of bag end monitor. ) They were shocked to see the Ugly Klipsch sounded WAY bigger and WAY better and all for $175 each !! So....I TOOK EM !!! Hooked up to my stuff at home..OH YEAH !!!!

So..Mallet..there is one left but its ugly and the horn is peavey. BUT ,I bet it can be had for $150 if anyone's interested. Mallet- you DO have 1st dibs. Email me directly at Sparkledrive1@aol.com and I'll hook you up. Otherwise I can post the store's info here..

Now for that SET amp !!! This IS an addiction- we are all admitting it ,right ??cwm12.gifcwm12.gif

This message has been edited by DANOCASTER on 07-25-2002 at 09:52 PM

Congratulations!! As Charlie the Tuna said "I don't want speakers with good taste, I want speakers that TASTE GOOD!"

I am releaseing my option on the other one. Thanks for recognizing my first claim...true to the spirit of the Forum as I've experienced it! However, I don't want to push the "perfect audiophile wife" with a project purchase at this point. Refinishing would probably be OK, but having to get a driver might be just one step too many. I've about 2000.00 into my system this year (the Khorns being the bulk), and while a ready-to-play bargain would be worth the risk, descretion is the better part of valor here.

I'll probably wait a bit, then see if I can partner with someone else on the list in need of a center speaker. I really want a Belle if I can get it...though a real bargain La Scala would certainly suffice.

Looking forward to the listening reports!

Dave

------------------

David A. Mallett

Dano,

Man you lucky dog.

I hope you enjoy them. If you come across another pair let me know, PLEASE.

Mallet. You always had first dib's. Flower Mound, Texas. What a great place. Way back in my younger days a friend of mine lived in Dallas. We hopped into her car and she drove me around. Next thing I know i'm in the middle of a field with three jugs (one filled with wine).

It is one of my favorite places in Texas.

Danny

"Nice pair of Klipsch La Scalas, make an offer"

The fine print. "Qty 1" refers to one PAIR.

Something will turn up. Like I said, I really need to give it a rest for a bit anyway. Thanks for the tip.

HDBR: "Heresy in the Church!" They all probably hail from that era and have no idea what they own. Somebody needs to give those Nashville parishoners a lecture on stewardship. They are probably trashing those Klipsch for Bose, fer crying out loud! The Devil is loose in Nashville!!

Thank God for Dano to the rescue...tis an ill wind indeed that blows nobody good.

Dave

------------------

David A. Mallett