Aww, missed it

Rivernuggets

I know this Forum is all about Klipsch, BUT I must vent. I'm a Piano Technician and always looking for deals for clients or myself. I have a small list of folks who are looking to upgrade from their small spinet upright.

Anyway, I missed a Yamaha upright a guy was selling locally for $100. This brand and condition would fetch $2000 or more at a dealer. Man........

Makes me feel better to think it turned into a crazy bidding war ending at $2500. Yeah, that's what happend.

post-34666-13819828950584_thumb.jpg

That's a beauty.

When my parents tried to sell their Cherry (I think) early 70's Baldwin upright a couple of years ago nobody responded at any price. It was in absolutely mint condition and had been recently tuned after being moved from their vacation home in North Carolina. They couldn't believe that nobody was interested. I didn't have room for it at my house or I would have taken it.

They ended up donating it to the local church run thrift store.

nobody responded at any price.

That's too bad. Pianos are a lot like large Klipsch speakers. Not everyone wants something that big taking up space. It depends on where you're located and who might be looking in your area. Donations are wonderful but it would have been nice for your parents to have received some money for it.

I'm cool with large Klipsch AND a piano. We have a tall Knabe upright from 1890. 123 years old! At Chicago's Science & Industry museum, they have a 'handmade' locomotive from 1893 on display. It was fun leaning toward my wife whispering, "Our piano is older!"

post-34666-13819828952534_thumb.jpg

Could be my utterly craptastic Verizon DSL service too. They keep telling me the FIOS is coming "soon" but I doubt that I'll live long enough to see it.

Verizon told me that DSL service was coming "soon" to my neighborhood for 6 years before they finally turned it up. "Pay more and get less" should be the official Verizon slogan in my opinion.

I've had lots of people recommend UVerse. Thought about moving to them myself.

The modem they send you comes with a wireless router. It's much better than the Linksys wireless we had. It has tremendous range. I actually put a PC in my garage with a USB wireless card and it works great.

EDIT, it's actually cheaper than DSL too???? At least for the first year.

I would LOVE to change providers. Unfortunately my only options are the Verizon DSL that I currently have, the satellite services such a Wild Blue or Hughesnet, or ComCrap... Err... I mean Comcast cable. The satellite services are saddled with ping times so slow that they're a last resort. My last experience with ComCrap was that is was down more than it was up. If you complained and asked for a credit what you got was even more down time.

Locally they no longer offer internet only access. I would have to get access as part of a "bundle" that includes TV and phone. And all at a price that I just can't afford right now . I simply don't watch enough TV to justify the $$ that Comcast wants. I like my $38 a month dry pair DSL (when it works) and my $20 a year Magic Jack phone service. It works for me on the cheap most of the time. Going with one of the satellite providers would mean losing my VOIP phone service.

This is what's called "being stuck between a rock and a hard place".

At least for the first year.

If it's anything like Charter, call and ask for any deals going on near the end of your first year. With Charter we get locked in to a lower rate every 12 months, as long as we call and ask.

When they signed me up they said to call back when the 1 year promo ends and check to see what deals they're running at that time. It seems that normal rates are for people who don't check for specials. Sounds the same as Charter.