Need input from some Guru's on various HT options

Escher

I have been looking at a new HT setup for my small den system. I am primarily looking for accuracy for music, but want good 5.1 performance..

I currently have a meet set to pick up a set of ICON KF26's and a KC25 center this Sunday. Price is $500.

Form what I gather reading here and elsewhere - the ICON KF's are a bit smoother in the midrange and not quite as forward as is typical for Klipsch, which is why I had been leaning toward them.

I have about an $850 budget.

This would also allow me to pick up an RW-12d sub.

Now for the DIlemma:

Crutchfield is blowing out the RF52 II's in Cherry for $275 per side and the RC-42 for about the same - total of $750..

There is Also a couple of other HT setups on CL locally with:

RF3's, RC3, RS3 for $900

RF-62's, RC52 - $750

So - lots of options...

What would you do with an $850 budget?

I'm still leaning toward the Icon's as they are only 1 year old and in perfect shape.

Excellent questions. By the numbers, the Icon's seem to be the best match for you. I cannot give you a first hand impression of them as compared to the References, but the stats of the Icons indicate they are slightly more capable due to the larger woofers. Furthermore, you can always get that $500 back if you don't like them, and you can still afford a sub.

I would be pulling the trigger on the Icons myself.

As for the RF-3 and RF-62, you are talking about a totally different league. You really get a lot with that RF-3 system. It's $50 more than you budgeted, but you could always add a sub at a later date, and tell the seller $850 is all you have. The RF-62's are excellent speakers as well, but the 3's offer surrounds. It's a whole system...

Thanks for the info!

When you say that the RF3 and RF62 are in another league - how so?

From what I have read, the RF3's are more unforgiving and in your face, typical of the famed Klipsch sound.. But I would have to think they are also more poerful due to the larger drivers.

I'm honestly having a hard time keeping my eyes off the RF3's...

Any ideas what the differences were between the RF3 and the RF3-II? Not sure, but I believe these are first gen.

RF3 has dual 8" woofers, RF62 has dual 6.5" woofers. RF3 have a higher sensitivity rating. The RF3s will have a much fuller sound to them.

If any Klipsch speakers sound forgiving and in your face its due to upstream components/bad recordings/room issues/etc.

If any Klipsch speakers sound forgiving and in your face its due to upstream components/bad recordings/room issues/etc.

Sorry - Poor Choice of words...

I'm not up on my Klipsch audiophile terminology...

That being said - Any issues with the RF3 to be aware of? What would be the primary difference between them and the Icon?

From what I have read - I gather that the RF3 will be brighter and have more full bass sound. What about speed and accuracy? I previously owned a set of La-Scala's, and miss that accuracy and speed...

Unfortunately none of the speakers you're talking about will hold a candle to LaScalas and their Heritage sound. Look for a pair of Quartets, Fortes, Chorus or Heresys if you miss the sound if your LaScalas. There's a huge difference between 2 and 3 way Klipsch sound.

I know.... I know.... but for budget reasons, and the size of my room (tiny!) I'm pretty limited. I have a meet for tonight to hear the RF3 setup... I'll report back! Thanks for the help...

Hope you report back with your opinions of the RF-3's. If you end up dragging them home, send some pics too!

Ohhh yes.... I am reporting back...

I fell in love - I knew I shouldnt have gone!

These are now in my den, tuned (Audessey in my Marantz 5006).. Sweet...

My buddy went with me - and he has the RF63 fronts and matching center and surrounds... he said he actually likes these a bit better.. He said these rears are very sweet and better broken in than his... I think hes frustrated a little bit.. ;)

Posted Image

Reference-2 by Christopher Purdy, on Flickr

Posted Image

Reference-1 by Christopher Purdy, on Flickr

Posted Image

RF3 by Christopher Purdy, on Flickr

Posted Image

RS3 by Christopher Purdy, on Flickr

Posted Image

RC3 by Christopher Purdy, on Flickr

BTW, I hope that isn't the permanent place for them. Looks a wee bit cramped in there! Surprise

Its a bit cluttered at the moment , but yes they will live there...

Like I said - now you know why I had to get rid of my LaScalas! They barely fit on each side...

Very nice setup.[Y][Y]

I fell in love - I knew I shouldnt have gone!

Klipsch speakers have a way of doing that. Happened to me when I first demoed the RF-63's. Seller delivered them to my house a week later on Memorial Day 2008.

My buddy went with me - and he has the RF63 fronts and matching center and surrounds... he said he actually likes these a bit better.. He said these rears are very sweet and better broken in than his... I think hes frustrated a little bit.. ;)

How much had your friend to drink?[D][D][D][D][:P] No need for him to be frustrated, he just heard something a little different. He will get over it. I was that way the first time I heard my fortes and Quartets, both something new something different. It's kind of like when you were a kid and you got a new pair of sneakers, all of a sudden you could run much faster.

Bill

I think you made a wise choice. It is possible your calibration is what set your system apart from his. It could also be the room his are in and his placement. Nevertheless, you can put your checkbook away for a while now.

Good job! [Y]

PS: I like the way you used other brand speakers as speaker stands. [:)]