History of a BIG Klipsch Horn

ClaudeJ1

• Moderators

One, hopefully to be informative to folks, and two to avoid going outside and digging my cars out of last nights storm. You can't even tell what kind they are!! Good thing for my somewhat worn memory. And I get to post pix.. I know you all like pictures. Big Smile

Yes we do like pics, That's crazy but I do like snow..........just not the cold, not real cold, I like southern cold, the kind you probably wouldn't even wear a jacket in. [:$]

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

dtel

Sweet corner of Klipsch......I have to ask. I have 7 speakers both EV and Klipsch. All have the EV T35/K77 tweeters, some like them some don't. But the tweet sounds come from them, or their direction.

With the K 402's running 2 way is a it wall of high frequencies being projected, rather than the pin point source from the small K77's? If so does that wall blend from side to side or would you consider a physical center channel? Just had to ask..Geeked chris

I wouldn't consider a center, to me it sounds like the sound is from the center, but the 402's are angled that way. The room is 24' wide so -12' for the two MWM's there is about 12' between them. the room is 18' deep and I can walk almost even with the speakers and it still sounds like the sound is from the center. The 402 sounds very wide and open.

It's hard to say compared to the k77's, with the 402 the sound is not pin pointed at all like any other Klipsch I have. It's just a bigger more open sound, just does not sound like it's from a small area.

When I first got it set up i was using a Yamaha AVR as a pre-amp with the pre-outs just set to stereo. Like this it sounded good but at low volumes I felt I was missing some bass but mostly the sparkley highs. I tended to turn up the highs a little when listening at low volumes.

Later I added a DAC with a volume knob Emotiva XDA-1, and removed the AVR completely and it changed everything for the better. Now I have the highs like i like plus more bass and mid-bass and an overall livelier sound, everything sounds better. Kind of like a new Yamaha sound compared to the vintage receiver sound, the new models sound kind of flat and plain and older models are just better, lively and fuller sounding IMO.

I have the HT in the same room so i can turn both on to compare, not really fair but it's a forte ll which is a nice model and has that average Klipsch sound and tweeter and you can really hear the difference.

I could really live with any Klipsch sound but have been very lucky with the help of many here and Klipsch themselves. Thanks

I tried the XDA because that company came out with a new model the 2 version and people were selling to get the new version, I got it used with still 2 years left on the warranty for $160 including shipping. I am really glad i did, all I have is a volume knob, no other controls, but I love it. Now the BR player which has internet radio goes straight into the DAC no processing, just a signal from the DAC to the EV-DX 38 than amps and out to speakers.

If you ever get a chance you need to hear the K402, it's hard to explain, no compressed or pinched sound, just open sounding.

• Moderators

Yes pure digital which is somewhat a pain. Like my Br player I couldn't get DVD concerts to play at first, I had to go into the menu and select PCM or it would not play, just selecting 2 ch on the disc menu would not work. But this could be the BR player doing that ? I usually listen to internet radio or Cd's anyway with an occasional concert DVD.

But for $160 shipped it was definitely worth a try, maby one day i will try a real pre-amp.

Claude I see you have the EV EVM 15L woofers.. This is a motor driver for the single EV TL4025. How does this compare to the MWM single? And for the MWM double woofer to the EV TL4050?

This is a pix of TL4025.

I would say it compares favorably. The EVM 15 has higher frequency response than a K-43, but it goes though 3 folds instead of just 2 for the MWM. Similar cutoff frequency, and big horn either way. TL4025 would be as close as you can get to an MWM I guess. But I still believe simpler build, less folds, is better IMHO. So I would still go with Klipsch because you cans still put an EV woofer in it.

claude I still wonder if we have good corners, Can one build the woofer box and first extension of the MWM horn, then point it into a corner, and expect reasonable results?. The steak knife is the tailboard, needed or not. The angle is the corner. Forgive my crude mock-up... Is this sort of what you were thinking to do? chris

Yes. Just move the box against your steel ruler, where the knife blade is, and think about laying a 1/2 of 1/2 sheet of plywood, cut diagonally, on top. this will get you better performance than a Belle. Follow my black drawing on Page 1. I will post dimensions when I have them.

Thanks so one box with a woofer, triangle, another box, another triangle. Nice sandwich for mid horn to sit on! chris

Yep. You got it. Easy build and performance WAY superior to Belle. I have the data to back this up. Plus, since I listen to only about 80db at my sweet spot most times, my hearing is and should be very good for a long time.

One more thing. You can shorten woofer back chamber by about 4" max since the EVM-15L works better with a smaller chamber than a K33 0r K43. It won'd hurt too much if you leave it as the original MWMs volume, it's up to you in case you want to use a Klipsch woofer in the future. The front part of the woofer throat/short horn section remains the same, of course.

How about larger boxes, scaled up in size, with 18in Peavey Low Rider Sub Woofer's for drivers. Might only need one per side? Big Smile chris

You only need one per side anyhow with a 15". I have said many times in the past that having a double woofer stack is way overkill for home use, but it does look more impressive, LOL. The extra height is not justified for the extra 3-6db output. I have had it both ways for a few years, and prefer the single bin per side. Again, ears and measurements confirm my vote for the single. Just a couple of watts thought these things will drive you right out of the room.

Let me remind you that my design is NOT a sub woofer, but a woofer/midbass. You should use a sub below about 50-60 Hz., preferably a tapped horn like mine or two. That would be a better place to put your money, your time an your lumber. Two TH subs would be ideal, placed in different places in the room (or underneath each MWM). Not for more output, but for more even distribution of the room modes down to 16Hz..