History of a BIG Klipsch Horn

ClaudeJ1

Even thought the original name was "Motengator" (look that one up in your Urban Dictionary!!) the MWM stands for Magnificent Woofing Machine. the original system had the added "1900" number because MCM is the Roman Numeral equivalent. Clever naming conventions for a woofer horn that continues to kick royal but wherever you may find them, in homes, theaters, or stadiums.

So "up your woofers" build or buy some MWM's today. Go to the Cinema Catalog and check out the modern version called the Grand-4-T!!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The EV is, I think 16 pieces of wood vs. only 12 for an MWM and slightly more complex to build. The sound path has an extra fold and looks slightly longer, so perhaps a slightly lower cutoff frequency. But I"m sure the higher frequencies would be a bit more ragged because of the extra fold.

The EVM 15L is flatter and has higher frequency extension when modeled in an MWM single bin, so I suspect perfomance would be similar in the EV horn, It's also an extra 3 cubic feet of space or so, so the MWM is smaller by a smidge.

I started to do a straight axis MWMs here: http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/170741.aspx

and decided that I wanted to use the corner space being wasted behind my FH-1's. Seems that in the late 70's and 80's, all the major speaker companies were making similar bass horns. Peavey had their "Project 1" bass horn with double 15's similar to Klipsch and EV's. I'm sure there were others I don't know about (Community?).

I may model this TL4025 in Hornresp just for fun, but I'm still planning on building my adaptation of the MWMs bin..........much simplified.

post-22904-1381982911715_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

And how does it sound? :)

It's OK, like Coytee said but it would probably take 2-3 bose cubes to match it ! [:o]

Did find an easy way to dust the insides, I let the youngest granddaughter crawl around in them and out the other side. [Y]

OK, I just modeled the MWM bin vs. the EV one. They are very similar in length/cutoff frequeny about 45 hz. modeled into 1 Pi space, but the MWM has slightly more bass output in the 40-60 hz. region.

The EVM 15L models better than than JC's model with the K-43 (same MWM bin data interpretation, different drivers) in terms of higher frequency output, but the K-43 has more oomph with it's peak at 55 Hz.. I owned MWM's and they definitely had that peak in my basement room at the time I owned them. Kind of like a low disco bass boost built right in. LOL. Remember, the best sounding bass doesn't always measure flat, especially if you look at the ISO equal loudness curves where bass levels must increase substantially below 100 Hz. with 20 db or so higher output around 20 hz., so, it looks like a Factory Klipsch MWM bin would have that built in and would only need subs below about 40-45 Hz.

Just so happens my Tapped Horn sub behaves likes the ISO curve with rising response below 60 hz. in my new room and it never sounds too bassy at all. My FH-1 is about a 3-foot horn and I'm building a 41/2 foot horn. Halfway between it and an MWM................with less folds of either. Trying to avoid' "W" bins from now on.

• Moderators

And you guys run subwoofers!!!

From 40hz down, but if I shut everything off the sub is not doing a terrible lot really, to me with a little volume it not a necessity, I listen sometimes without it just to compare, also depends on the music.

And you guys run subwoofers!!!

From 40hz down, but if I shut everything off the sub is not doing a terrible lot really, to me with a little volume it not a necessity, I listen sometimes without it just to compare, also depends on the music.

There are very few times where music contains notes below 40 Hz, since a low E string on a 4 string bass is 41 Hz. An MWMs is a 6 foot long horn and it makes it down there pretty well.

A 5 string bass will hit 31 Hz. but most of the notes are on the other strings.

Pipe Organ and synthesized bass is another matter altogether, but again, most music doesn't get that low.

The main reason I use a sub is for movies, but I discovered that I can make a smaller horn to go to 60 hz. instead of 40, so it's about balance. For music, the MWMs was the best Sounding bass I've ever owned, and I lived with Klipshorns for 30 years. Jubilees come in second place for me, but they can look nice in a corner. Kinda wish I had them back now that I have the room for them again, but I wanna try a shorter/corner version of the MWM. I will build the center section so that I can make an MWMs out of it if the corner one doesn't work out.

Pretty much everything below 40 hz. you feel rather than hear.

Had 6 foot MWMs with all kinds of woofers in them, never an EVM 15L. LaScalas and FH-1's get to 100 Hz. then roll off. so in my situation going from a 2.75 foot horn to a 4. 75 foot horn will get me what I need without PEQ, hopefully. It's just lumber, sawdust, a little bit of steel and glue after all. For me, the simpler the horn, the better. For build and for sound. We shall see.

I have never heard anything manufactured by Klipsch that comes close to the current MCM-3 or 4. The Jubilee is about the most similar but is just not up to the sheer size of what the MCMs can do.

Edit: I have not heard Roy's latest Pro creations that are being used in teh Klipsch Music Center. Those look like some real powerhouses and probably do eclipse the older MCMs.