using preouts on receiver

christ1

I have a Onkyo tx-nr708 as my main receiver in the living room. I bought a Sansui 9090 and want to give it a try with my RF-83s. Can I connect the front R/L preout from the 708 into an input on the 9090 with the front R/L speakers using the 708 amp when I am not using the Sansui? I want to be able to switch between using the front R/L speakers with either the 708 under most conditions but use the 9090 for stereo music (using the 708's networking capabilities as the source of the music). I have to move speakers and the TV stand away from the wall just to get to the each receivers' connections so I do not want to move my furniture around just to change which amp drives the RF-83s. I can easily change the speaker wire hookup as either coming from the 708 or 9090. Does connecting an RCA cable into the preout automatically bypass the 708's amp even if the 9090 is turned off?

I hope what I am trying to ask makes sense. Thanks.

So if the Sansui is off or unplugged is there any damage that could occur with the Onkyo sending a signal to the Sansui? If not, it sounds like I can hookup the RCA cables (permanently) and switch between the speaker wires from each receiver and hookup the speaker output from the receiver I want the fronts to be powered by.

christ1,

You SHOULD not have problem taking your preouts and running them into the amp-in (or any line level input) of another amp or receiver. The speaker switch would be a nice addition so you wouldn't have to change the speaker wires every time but is not absolutely necessary. Just make sure you never have both amps hooked up to the speakers at the same time even if one of the amps is off. If you are taking the preout and going into a regular line input (not amp-in) you will now have two seperate volume contols and it may take a little getting used to ( it will be easy to overdrive the amp into clipping).

babadono

• Moderators

I don't know about the Onkyo but on a Yamaha 730 I used the pre-outs and another amp for another set of speakers (Ch). The only difference was I put the second speakers (2ch) on "B" speakers so they cold be turned off to run the other set Ht.

The pre-out will work a pre-amp going to your Sansui so it will be increasing the volume to the Sansui if you turn the volume knob on the Onkyo also, so you would have to be careful where it is set, and all the way down will not give you anything out the pre-outs.

I would use one of those switch boxes myself and just split your input signals going into the Onkyo and have them also go into the Sansui. I am now splitting the signal from a BR player and satellite, for both HT and 2 ch , I can play both at the same time or just one.

A switch box is safer, if you were ever turn on the Sansui and forgot the volume up on the onkyo it could be bad for the sansui and especially the speakers.

Thanks for the advice.

I think I have come up with, at least, a temporary solution. I wanted to connect through the Onkyo to utilize the audio streaming, but it occured to me that I could just connect my PS3 (which I never mentioned) to the Sansui via the RCA connection. I just have to change the audio to output through the RCA connection instead of the HDMI (which is connected to the Onkyo). I still have to manually switch speaker cables, but the switch boxes are a good idea that I will probably implement in the future.

• Moderators

Try checking it first it may have output on the RCA at the same time being that's like a secondary output, you never know ?

Does the Onkyo have a RCA line output that could go to the Sansui ?

See if you could find a simple switcher like from radio shack with speakers A or B, that could work with a second set of wires to disconnect the other wire when not used ?

I have to say I love Sansui, my first real stereo was a Sansui 8080, wish I still had it.

Good luck

You are correct, tmassey, I never did get around to giving a review of the RF-83s (and the RS-62s I bought after the 83s). In short, they are really nice--much better than my RF-62s and S-1s--I need to upgrade my receiver.

I need to write a little better review and provide pictures of my living room and pool room in my house I bought over the summer. I want to find/buy a (2nd) big picture to go above my TV in the living room (which is a tall wall due to vaulted ceilings). I am waiting for Ikea to change their art so I can complent the picture I bought a couple months ago. That will pretty much finish the living room. (Assuming I do not get furloughed due to sequestration.)