Value of Black LaScala's, possibly from 1977, and modified AA Crossover

nola

Hello Folks: I have been off the Forums for a long time. I found someone with a pair of all black LaScalas and they appear to be in good to great shape cosmetically, but I have not heard them yet. They have K-77 tweeter drivers and K400 midrange horns. However, the squawker driver is a K-55 V (not a K-55, and I do not remember the difference in the V model). I do not remember if the 55 V was standard for around 1977. Crossovers are AA with spam can caps. These will need replacing. Bob Crites has these for $87, plus $12 shipping. The AA was modified with POTs for treble and mid - but these look easy to remove. One big area of concern is that the serial numbers are different, non-consecutive (10R274 and 9R360, LSBB-hard to read), yet the speakers look alike, except for the crossover networks being on opposite sides of the cabinets. The inspector last name looks like "Ward" in red letters. I think LSBB means La Scala Birch Black and I think the R is for 1977. I am not sure what the other numbers mean. Any assistance appreciated.What do folks think a fair price would be if they sound good, given the need for recapping and new driver ring seals, etc.

From NOLA with love :)

beat up cabs with rusty crossovers and one or more tweets not working and fender guitar speakers as woofer run around 400 bucks. It sounds like what your thinking about is in better condition and operational functionality. I've seen respectable LaScalas offerd for sale at prices between 800 and 1200 and never sell in one part of the country and prices around 1000 to 1500 sell in others.

I just sold a pair of black 1990s last night for $1200.00. They were in very good condition and had exotic DeanG built ALK Jr. networks with ALK tweeter attenuators. What I have noticed is that the prices are lower in the north where there seems to be much more supply and shorter travel distances. In the south, prices seem to be somewhat higher since the speakers are harder to come by and farther to fetch. I definitely could have gotten more for the ones I just sold.

• 1 year later...

First please forgive me if I sound like I don't know what i'm talking about, i'm no speaker expert by a long shot.  I have a set of BLACK LA SCALA'S as well and I am also wondering how to put a value on them.  I would be interested in possible sale if the price is good but I need something to go on.  Speakers are in very good condition and sound wonderful!  There is a label on the back of both.  Here is some of the info from one of them.  La Scala, type LS-BB, serial 6P039, inspected by (looks like) Paul Ward.  Thank you. 

I tracked vintage Klipsch model re-sales several years ago. The data is old, but with the pullback in prices recently, it still provides a good guide to what to look for and expect: 

• LaScalas are the same as Belles, but with exposed wood front (no cloth on bottom), share the same lens and drivers as the Khorn and also fall below 100Hz. Their frequency response is rougher, but it is NOT tipped at both ends like the Belles. LaScalas are bargains compared to the similar Belles. From a dozen sales on eBay and Klipsch forum beginning in 2004, and recently in 2009, LaScalas sold from $292 to $2,504! Since this depression, recent 2009 sales for $300, 600 and 800 are dropping the average down to $1064! In all cases, the type of crossover can make a difference, as some are better than others. The shipping average I had was $150 for both Belles and LaScala models. Because Belles and LaScalas share the same upper horns as the classic Khorn, you might say they provide 80% of the best Klipsch horn sound. If so, the average Belle and LaScala pair sell for a lot less than 80% of a Khorn. Posted: 5/1/2006 6/19/2009 

First please forgive me if I sound like I don't know what i'm talking about, i'm no speaker expert by a long shot.  I have a set of BLACK LA SCALA'S as well and I am also wondering how to put a value on them.  I would be interested in possible sale if the price is good but I need something to go on.  Speakers are in very good condition and sound wonderful!  There is a label on the back of both.  Here is some of the info from one of them.  La Scala, type LS-BB, serial 6P039, inspected by (looks like) Paul Ward.  Thank you. 

Sorry for the low quality, using my cell phone for photos.  Speakers need to be dusted well and cleaned up a little and i'll do that and take better photos and more photos if I decide to sale.    Now i'm trying to figure out how to add photos.  If I can't figure out how to add them HERE i'll post again and add them.   thanks

Thanks for the tip, I live in Atlanta Ga.  I've never shipped anything of this size and i'm thinking if I did sale them it would be nice if the buyer could pick em up.  Just a thought.  I've been trying to remember when I got them and it must have been in the late 70's or early 80's.  A gentleman I worked for from 1972 until 1985 sold them to me.  It was more like a gift really.  He was big into stereo and speakers of all kinds and knew the Klipsch were the kind of thing I would never be able to afford.  As best I can recall he sold me both for $600.00   I can't remember if he told me what he paid for them but i'm sure it was 2 or 3 times what he let me have them for.  He was a great guy!  He passed away a few years ago.  I guess i've had them 30 years or more at least.  I really hate to let them go but things happen I the bills must be paid.  I thank you all for your input and help.  Barney