Choices, Choices RB 81 (II) vs RB 35

Gliderguy3

Have a chance to pick up some local used RB 35's, but have heard reviews that the RB 81 (II) has considerably improved voicing. Would use these as mains for a home theater, Have been holding off on getting the SW-115 for a few more weeks, If I decide on new RB-81's would want to try to get a package price. Could probably swing the RC 62 (II) at the same time, but the surrounds would have to wait a bit.

Anyone who has heard both care to comment? Will probably be used 75% home theater and 25% music. Will be driven by a Denon 3311CI. Add on amplification like Emotiva or such not out of the question but would be down the road a while. Not sure if additional power would be a huge upgrade given the sub should more than keep up with speakers of this class.

I keep wondering about the RB 75 with that relatively ginormous 1.75 inch tweeter horn vs the 1 inch drivers in the other above speakers. Did Klipsch get away from those strictly to maintain a price point or are they considered superior to the others? Have yet to see a used set of RB 75's come up for sale anywhere near me.

If you can get the RB-35's for considerably cheaper, I say get them, I think they sound great. If you can afford the RB-81II's, get them because finding the matching RC-62II will be easier as opposed to finding the RC-35 which is not as quality as the RC-62II.

Bill

Bill, you hit my quandary right on the head. I can get the pair of RB-35's for about 1/4 the price of new RB-81's and I also had the concern about finding a matching center. The fact that the RC-62 (ii) seems to be so well regarded may tip me that direction. I can almost afford to get the rb-35's as temporary surrounds and maybe move them to the bedroom as primary speakers later. I think I could live with a slight timbre mismatch on the surrounds as long as the front three were well matched.

• Moderators

I've owned the RB-35's but have not heard the RB-81's. The 81's and also the 75's are highly spoken of for bookshelf speakers. From what I've read, the 75's would be a considerable improvement over the 35's.

Unfortunately, the 75's do not pop up often. There have been 4 sets that recently sold on Ebay. They went for $440 - $675.

I only see one pair on Craigslist in New Orleans for $800 - Link

Here is an RB-81ii package - Link

RB-81 for $500 - Link

and these are probably the same pair as the one above - Link

Bill, you hit my quandary right on the head. I can get the pair of RB-35's for about 1/4 the price of new RB-81's and I also had the concern about finding a matching center. The fact that the RC-62 (ii) seems to be so well regarded may tip me that direction. I can almost afford to get the rb-35's as temporary surrounds and maybe move them to the bedroom as primary speakers later. I think I could live with a slight timbre mismatch on the surrounds as long as the front three were well matched.

Personally, I'd go for the 35's at 1/4 the price. I've actually seen quite a few Rc35's available in my own searching over the last few weeks. Unfortunately for me none have been cherry. But they are around and very reasonably priced at around 250 or so. If you were blindfolded and played both the 81's and 35's....good luck telling a difference. The 75's are a different animal from my understanding although I have never heard them myself, or A-B'd either.

for what its worth I didn't have a preference between the RB 35 and RB 75 when I got my 35's many years ago.
There was a sonic difference in voicing around the upper midrange, but both were equally pleasant to me, so I made my
final choice on price, due to having no real preferences between the 2, but as noted:
good luck getting a center channel to match them. I see no reason to upgrade my 35's unless I got a RF7 or such
I like the 81 also but have not been able to a-b 81 with these older models, they are all in the same ball park for performance to me.

After doing due dilligence research, it looks like the main difference is Klipsch has been steadily lowering the crossover point with each new generation. The RB35s cross over at 2350hz, the RB81(ii) has it down to 1400 ! slight bump in power handling after the 35's. Slight sensitiy increase starting with the 75. Getting the crossover down almost an octave has to be the biggie though. Seems that would make the sweet spot bigger, i seem to recall woofers get "beamy" as the wavelength approaches the size of the driver.