Klipsch and tube amps

boband212

hi, i have been a long time fan of Klipsch speakers. I have had a pair of Synergy SF-1 speakers, and now a pair of RF-52 speakers. I have used with a vintage Marantz integrated amp, vintage McIntosh receiver, and now with a Jolida hybrid amp. I tried a Jolida 40wpc tube amp, and with a 50wpc Jolida hybrid. I could not make up my mind which amp I liked best with the speakers. I settled on the hybrid, and I have never regretted it. The speakers are great and I love the cherry finish. That looks nice in my living room full of wooden furniture. And the Jolida amps are much better than what I thought. I am impressed to no end with them. I bought the speakers from an online dealer and the amp from a Jolida dealer with a store in New Albany, Indiana - Petery-Hedden Co. Get in touch with Brian or Bob there if you want to good deal on some Jolida gear and some advice. They are great to deal with, and they have Klipsch in their store, and in their homes. Want a great sounding stereo? Get Klipsch and Jolida. There you go. Both very well made products too. I love my speakers, and I love my amp. I love nice sound, but do not have thousands to spend. Hope this helps someone make up his/her mind about what goes together well.

integrated. i like an integrated amp as there is less to mess with, and less money. i love the jolida amp. great value.

i understand that towards the end of the year manufacturing will be moved to usa. they are serious about making a great product.

hope this helps.

again, i would like to say that i love the klipsch speakers with the jolida amp. these make the best sounding system i have ever had.

i have had a lot of different gear. and the guys at petery-hedden co. were great to deal with. call them. the phone number is 812-945-5215.

or call 812-557-2497. i was amazed at the sound of the klipsch reference model i got. how nice. i am happy. don't plan to change anything for

a long time if ever.

the dealer has Klipsch reference speakers, and some Paradigm speakers. It is a small shop that does not have a lot of inventory. They also deal some in vintage gear. They had/have a McIntosh 1900 receiver in good condition. I checked that out, but the Jolida hybrid amp sounded much better. Anyway, I am very happy with my system, and I did not have to spend mega bucks. That suits me fine. Time to put a CD on. Take care, have a nice day. Boba

• 2 weeks later...

had a scott tube amp once. it was not refurbished, but played well. no doubt is was made well. it was playing 40 to 50 years later.

a jolida hybrid i have has been on for 8 hours straight today and is not even warm. the transformers are specially designed not to heat up.

it would last a long time no doubt. i think i like the jolida tube amp sound better than the scott. you ought to try it sometime. let me know what you think.

my personal preference is the hybrid. it sounds better than a McIntosh 1900 i have. to me it does anyway. everyone has a different opinion on this stuff.

jolida does represent an excellent value. go for it. see what you think about it. let me know. messing around with a lot of things over the years i have a preference for something newer. i do not work on the stuff so i am not able to do my own repairs. i don't have several thousand to spend either. so for me i am happy with the jolida hybrid amp i have. i have a jolida tube amp as well, but prefer the hybrid. you might not like it at all. time for bed now. been a long day for me. too long. bob a.

I tried a Jolida SJ-202a in my home a couple of years back. The buzzing transformer drove me nuts. I took this amplifier back to the store and to their credit, they changed it for another one.

I plugged the new one in and guess what? The transformer hum was even louder!

I took the SJ-202a back to the store. They tested it and agreed the transformer hum was unacceptable, so they lent me the next model up - a store demo unit being the SJ-502a. When I hooked this unit up, lo and behold, the transformer hum was absent. Yahoo!

Unfortunately, so too was any output whatsoever from the amplifier. Apparently something had 'cooked' in the power supply = no sound. If you're wondering, I ended up buying something else...

This isn't saying that every Jolida amplifier out there suffers reliability issues - I just say 'buyer beware'.

I tried a Jolida SJ-202a in my home a couple of years back. The buzzing transformer drove me nuts. I took this amplifier back to the store and to their credit, they changed it for another one.

I plugged the new one in and guess what? The transformer hum was even louder!

I took the SJ-202a back to the store. They tested it and agreed the transformer hum was unacceptable, so they lent me the next model up - a store demo unit being the SJ-502a. When I hooked this unit up, lo and behold, the transformer hum was absent. Yahoo!

Unfortunately, so too was any output whatsoever from the amplifier. Apparently something had 'cooked' in the power supply = no sound. If you're wondering, I ended up buying something else...

This isn't saying that every Jolida amplifier out there suffers reliability issues - I just say 'buyer beware'.

My Brother had a SJ-502 that was quiet with his LaScala's. I had tubes many years ago and when we went HT (Bluray) I had to compromise

with a HD AVR for a Pre/Pro and was suprised my system sounded good with the AVR amps (small room). I have been looking for another amp to run my Cornwalls and thought about the SJ502 or the 202. What amp did you end up with?

Louis

not familiar with SJ models. For at least 10 years the Jolida company in Md. has not offered an SJ models that I am aware of. I have owned several Jolida amps, and sell them too. The prefix for almost all of their gear is JD there is a JD202A - old model, and the current is JD202BRC. There was a JD502A and now a JD502CRC. Where, and when did you buy SJ models? Jolida in MD. has not offered SJ models as far as I know and that is about 10 years back. visit their site- jolida dot com. in Md. There is not a single SJ model product on my dealer price list. I was so happy with a JD202A I owned I inquired about selling for them. Now I am doing that. Sell some vintage gear as well. I like the old pioneer gear real well, and the old marantz integrated amps were nice sounding. good evening.

not familiar with SJ models. For at least 10 years the Jolida company in Md. has not offered an SJ models that I am aware of. I have owned several Jolida amps, and sell them too. The prefix for almost all of their gear is JD there is a JD202A - old model, and the current is JD202BRC. There was a JD502A and now a JD502CRC. Where, and when did you buy SJ models? Jolida in MD. has not offered SJ models as far as I know and that is about 10 years back. visit their site- jolida dot com. in Md. There is not a single SJ model product on my dealer price list. I was so happy with a JD202A I owned I inquired about selling for them. Now I am doing that. Sell some vintage gear as well. I like the old pioneer gear real well, and the old marantz integrated amps were nice sounding. good evening.

It's been about 10 years ago Tom(brother) had a Jolida 502 tube amp. I could be mistaken on JD or ?? prefix. I just know he had a 502 and he said he liked the 202 for my Cornwalls. I will look again at the local Craigs List for the Jolida 202 that was F/S.

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/jolida-sj502a.html

Dr Morbius:

Love to pit a refurbished HH Scott amp against Jolida. Wonder who has the better output transformers?......................................................................

Go with ur gut on that one........................................................................................................................................................

My gut says Scott, as long as NOS Valves works his magic on it!

• 2 months later...

I used to work for a Jolida dealer, and that transformer buzz that you wrote of was so familiar, it brought a nostalgic smile across my face. The thing with Jolida (almost everything has a "thing," doesn't it?), in my experience, was quality control. Very good sound, very good performance for the price, but some of the units just, weren't quite right. That said, a unit that was good, was typically good.

So, potential buyers out there, beware, yes, but if a (used) unit works well, it is probably ok. In the olden days (late 90's), if a unit was bad, Jolida would replace it for us with no trouble, so one would just swap until one got a good unit. Today, their QC might be better, their support might be worse, I have no clue.

To boband212: The answer to "when were models named "SJ..." is, Just over 10 years ago. That was the prefix of, at least some of their products, when I sold them. I've got an SJ 502a that is, regrettably, collecting dust right now. But, it was (and I presume, still is) a pretty nice little integrated amp. I still look forward to finding it a good niche, one of these days (unfortunately, it won't quite drive my old Maggie 1.4s), and I am glad to hear that Jolida is still in business. (One never knows how a start-up, high-end audio manufacturer is going to fare.)

I wish to reiterate that 1) I am no longer attached or affiliated in any way with SG Jolida, its shareholders, distributors... and 2) Although when I dealt (and dealt with) them, their INITIAL reliability was hit and miss, they always stood behind their products, and a unit that was good, tended to be good.

Thank you all for letting me into your forum. Recorded music, and hi-fi reproduction have just returned to my pool of active hobbies, and yours was the first forum that compelled me to join it.

Guest David H

Thank you all for letting me into your forum. Recorded music, and hi-fi reproduction have just returned to my pool of active hobbies, and yours was the first forum that compelled me to join it.

Welcome to the forums enjoy.

I have gone a few rounds with Jolida myself. Since then I don't recommend their products. I did have good success with my JD-502 after some mods.

Dave