Estate Sale in Orlando: Chorus II, KG 2.2, KG 1.2, speaker wire and stands for $750 obo

Youthman

I made a comment before I read the brochure. Then I revised it. They have the KG 5.2's with a "2 Ea" above it. Not Chorus II. I think they thought (or sumthin or anudder) they have KG 5.2's instead of the more expensive Chorus II's. [8-)]

• Moderators

I don't think so.....Chorus II is clearly written on the back of the speaker and they even took a pic of it. I think the previous owner probably had the KG set but also had the Chorus II's? Just guessing here. My guess is they really don't know much about them and might let them all go for really cheap? Never hurts to make an offer for those interested.

Forget the speakers. I want that sweet Philips "Hifi" unit! It appears to be the newest model, you know, the one WITH a flux capacitor built in. Did you notice that it has AM..AND..FM radio reception capabilities?!? Sorry, I gotta go now, it's gonna be a long drive south for this beaut and I need my rest ;)

My guess is they really don't know much about them and might let them all go for really cheap?

I think you got a point here. This just might be the case. Looks like this might be a good pickup if that is an Academy. Might be worth checking out.

Forget the speakers.

I know I do get up at 4am with my girlfriend when she goes to work. Sometimes I don't read things properly. Did you just say that? WOW!?! I don't think I'm on the Waybackmachine.com website. Surprise

Yes, I did say that, in jest. I just think its funny that a lot of times when I see speaker sets for sale on CL or the like they're always "throwing in a receiver!". Which I immediately take as "Great, one more thing to go into my garbage can".

• Moderators

Well, since no one was interested, Youthman decided he would try and work on another deal. He offered to sell the entire set to me for $500. I surely don't need any more speakers (unless I sell the Forte II's) and it would be a 3 hour round trip so I offered him $400 for the set.

He had a guy that was coming to look at them on Wednesday for $500 so I figured I would wait to see if they sold. Seller texted me just now saying the guy bought them yesterday for $500. Buyer still got a really good deal, especially if he doesn't need all of the speakers. If he sells some, he would end up getting speakers for free.

The more I looked at the ad, the more I believe the center channel was an academy. The seller said the center was the speaker listed in the scan of the Klipsch Ad but I don't believe it was. The KG 2.2 is only 1" wider than the Chorus II's and the center in the pic looks to be about 6" wider than the Chorus II which would fit the profile of the Academy. Also, the Academy has the badge on the long end while the KG 2.2 has the badge on the short end.

I share this just as a reminder to everyone that there are still some awesome deals to be had. If I needed a pair of Chorus II and an Academy, $500 would have been a steal as the Academy sells for $375 by itself and the Chorus II's for around $600.

Below was the original ad.

Klipsch Sound System - $750 (Orange City)

Klipsch Sound System, lightly used. Estate Sale. Original cost new $3000. Your cost $750 obo.
Occasionally used. Looks like new. Works great. Theater Sound. Could even
be used by a DJ. Includes: 2 Large speakers, 1 central speaker, 2 rear speakers,
Stereo Amplifier, Cables. Packed in Secure Boxes.
Currently located in Orange City Storage Unit.

klipschchoruspackage.jpg

• Moderators

That is them indeed. Guy paid $500 for the set, he will easily make a nice profit off of it. 6 hour one way, I'm guessing he was already in Florida when he picked them up? 12 roadtrip wouldn't make it worth the effort to me.

12hrs time + 12hrs of GAS + $500 to buy = no profit.

Unless you are already in the area visiting or have family or friends in the area who will be coming for a visit. I have had family/friends pick up stuff for me and bring it on their next trip to my place. Also, I always check Craigslist where I am going for a driving visit somewhere. Picked up a few good deals that way and did not cost me any extra gas, but only an extra few minutes time. Like everybody else on here, I have driven well in excess of 20 hours on a round trip to get something rare I wanted for my personal collection, which is certainly not the case here . . . Simple flipping in this case on a steal of an original buy . . . No altruistic speaker save on this one. In any case, quite the markup. Just an observation on an "Alerts" posting thread originally from Audiogon, not on a Forum member's sale posting in the Garage Sales section.

That is them indeed. Guy paid $500 for the set, he will easily make a nice profit off of it. 6 hour one way, I'm guessing he was already in Florida when he picked them up? 12 roadtrip wouldn't make it worth the effort to me.

I completely agree.

Let's see, he may make $500. 6 hour trip each way so he probably spent (guessing very low) $75 on gas. He must have spent at least 14 hours on the trip, plus time to take photos, list onAudiogon, etc. Let's say 20 hours total to flip. So maybe $11 an hour. And I am guessign low on the hours and not countign Audiogon fees.

This makes sense if you buy them, play with them for a month or two (or a year or two) for the experience, then sell.