Looking for larger Reference Bookshelf and Large Center

Youthman

• Moderators

I'm helping a friend upgrade his speakers.

I'm recommending he consider one of the following (probably in that order
due to price):

RC-7

RC-64

RC-62ii

RC-64ii

He has an entertainment center that limits him on space so I'm thinking
maybe larger bookshelf speakers (probably in the order below and place them on
the top shelves of the entertainment center angled downwards?

RB-81

RB-75

RB-5

RB-61
Let me know if you have any of these that you are willing to part with.

• Moderators

Thanks Daryl, yeah, shipping from Washington to Florida might kill the deal. I'm going to borrow Willland's RB-35's to see how they sound in my friend's room. Should give us an idea if bookshelves will provide the sound he is looking for. That and an RC-7 might just do the trick.

I wouldn't recommend rear ported speakers in a cabinet, but if they can be on a shelf with some breathing room behind them, would be a sweet front stage!

How about three RC-7s? Three great, identical speakers with symmetry in his cabinet.

The port diameter of the RC-7 is only a couple of inches. If there's room on the shelves for heresys, rc-7s should work fine and have enough breathing room for the ports.

How about three RC-7s? Three great, identical speakers with symmetry in his cabinet.

Assuming he'd probably like this done in the next couple months, I'm just gonna say good luck finding those for a reasonable price ;)

Ah, the hunt is half the fun. There's plenty of rc-7s out there.

Here's one north of Atlanta for $400 obo.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/ele/3685330466.html

One down, two to go . . . . .[;)]

I wouldn't recommend rear ported speakers in a cabinet, but if they can be on a shelf with some breathing room behind them, would be a sweet front stage!

I have mine in a cabinet type area. I put acoustic deadening material behind it and on the sides to pick up any reflection from the port. Works perfectly, no echo and is very detailed.

• Moderators

Here is a pic of his current setup. I posted more details in the Friend needs a Klipsch Makeover thread.

custom-ht2.jpg

He might still be able to put bookshelf speakers in the side walls if they are front ported. The sides of the cabinet really limit what options we have since they aren't very wide and they are recessed from the rest of the cabinet. Looks beautiful (especially in person) but it was built for looks, not acoustics and for HT. And why they put the center channel at the bottom firing at your ankles is beyond me.

I had already contacted the seller in Atlanta and a friend in Alabama. But I'm not making a 14hr roundtrip and I don't want my friend in Alabama making a 6hr round trip.

Will continue to search.

There are a pair of RF-63's local to me for $800 obo and RF-82ii's for a $750 obo, either of which would be perfect for his room.....if he didn't have the custom cabinet. [:(]

• Moderators

Have him put the center above the TV angled down. He can fit a decent sized one there to anchor his front sound stage.

That is the plan. I put the RC-7, then RC-64 on the original list above.

It's the main speakers and placement of them that I'm still undecided on.

Have him put the center above the TV angled down. He can fit a decent sized one there to anchor his front sound stage.

They obviously like symmetry. 3 RC-7's or RC-64's in the top 3 holes would be ideal. You're not going to get anything decent to keep up with the center in those little spots on the side.

Hey Youth, that's a beautiful cabinet your friend has. I have an extra pair of RB-75's laying around if interested. They work perfect, but the cabinets are rough. You'd never know in that entertainment center though. I planned on refinishing them, but never got around to it. PM me your email if interested and I can send you some pictures of them.

Chad

They obviously like symmetry. 3 RC-7's or RC-64's in the top 3 holes would be ideal. You're not going to get anything decent to keep up with the center in those little spots on the side.

DUH, looks like I quoted bhendrix....LOL. Good idea Bill!

• Moderators

Bill, how do you think the RB-3 or RB-75 would do inside the cabinet on the far left and right where his current Energy floorstanding speakers are now (behind the black grill mesh)? Would the Bookshelves provide enough sound and impact?

As mentioned, he's never really had that WOW factor in his room. I'm really hoping I can build a system that will thoroughly impress him. I don't remember what the Paradigm center sounds like but my guess is the RC-7 is going to spank it pretty bad and would be a better quality sound.