Looking for larger Reference Bookshelf and Large Center

Youthman

• Moderators

Wow Bill, I just saw the 3 RC-7's you posted. That would look pretty awesome for sure but they do not come up very often, especially locally and we all know they don't ship very well. Probably will go with bookshelves and maybe keep an eye out for some good deals on RC-7's as time goes by?

Like you, I would be worried about any speaker being buried in the right cabinet in such close proximity to the side wall. Whether you use RB or RC, I think I would also try them in the shelves above the TVs as I pictured with the RC-7's.

I have (had) many of the Reference speakers, including bookshelves RB-3, 5, 25, 35, and 75, as well as centers RC-25, 35, 3, and 7.

Imho, The RB-75 and RC-7 stand head-and-shoulders above the rest because of the very expensive "pro"-type 1 3/4" diaphragm tweeters. Just the replacement tweeter for a RB-75 is $112 from Klipsch. The RB-5 is quite an over-achiever, too.

I suggested RC-7s for this application due to:

1. Concern over close proximity to side wall on right cabinet,

2. Imho, a center channel looks better on a shelf than a bookshelf on its side with logo 90 degrees off,

3. The symmetry 3 RC-7s compliments the symmetry of the cabinet, and most important,

4. The great sound of the RC-7.

A forum search for "RC-7 mains" will show a couple of threads from many years ago where Dean, Artto, and other forum members preferred the RC-7 to the RB-75.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/5481/37697.aspx#37697

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/73804/726037.aspx#726037

Wow Bill, I just saw the 3 RC-7's you posted. That would look pretty awesome for sure but they do not come up very often, especially locally and we all know they don't ship very well. Probably will go with bookshelves and maybe keep an eye out for some good deals on RC-7's as time goes by?

They come up for sale more often than one might expect. Ten RC-7s were sold on ebay alone in the last 90 days. Some number more were sold on craigslist. There's a nice one for sale on Atlanta craigslist now. You could start with a pair of 75s and the RC-7, then go from there . . . .

Like you, I would be worried about any speaker being buried in the right cabinet in such close proximity to the side wall. Whether you use RB or RC, I think I would also try them in the shelves above the TVs as I pictured with the RC-7's.

I have (had) many of the Reference speakers, including bookshelves RB-3, 5, 25, 35, and 75, as well as centers RC-25, 35, 3, and 7.

Imho, The RB-75 and RC-7 stand head-and-shoulders above the rest because of the very expensive "pro"-type 1 3/4" diaphragm tweeters. Just the replacement tweeter for a RB-75 is $112 from Klipsch. The RB-5 is quite an over-achiever, too.

I suggested RC-7s for this application due to:

1. Concern over close proximity to side wall on right cabinet,

2. Imho, a center channel looks better on a shelf than a bookshelf on its side with logo 90 degrees off,

3. The symmetry 3 RC-7s compliments the symmetry of the cabinet, and most important,

4. The great sound of the RC-7.

A forum search for "RC-7 mains" will show a couple of threads from many years ago where Dean, Artto, and other forum members preferred the RC-7 to the RB-75.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/5481/37697.aspx#37697

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/73804/726037.aspx#726037

my 75's are sideways on top of bookshelves , I agree with the logo looking cheesy , but the sound is pretty good.

If you do decide on a set of 75's , keep in mind they are BIG. I measured 13 inches for both heighth and depth at the angle I have mine set.

pardon the grainy pics,,,and the dust!

Mark

post-56867-1381983188685_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Thanks Knorbu. I'm in the process of purchasing Chad's RB-75's. As soon as he gets them boxed up and a cost on shipping, I'll be sending him payment for them. I appreciate the dimensions with your's angled because they will be angled inside the cabinet and wasn't sure how much I would be able to toe them inwards.

His cabinet is roughly 14" wide x 19" deep x 39" tall. That should provide adequate width to toe them in enough.

• Moderators

Unfortunately, due to WAF, he has to keep the speakers hidden so no RF-7 in the mix.

Cabinet space for mains is approx 14" wide x 19" deep x 39" tall. I think almost any Klipsch setup will be a HUGE improvement over the Energy mains he has now. I have not hooked up the Paradigm to see how it sounds for HT.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

If you do decide on a set of 75's , keep in mind they are BIG. I measured 13 inches for both heighth and depth at the angle I have mine set.

You weren't kidding. The RB-75's arrived on Monday but I was out of town until this afternoon. They were properly packed and double boxed and arrived safely. I knew they were big, but these are REALLY BIG. LOL He's going to love them.

You can see how they compare in size to his current Energy CF-30 speakers and Paradigm SE Center Speaker.

Thanks Chad. For other forum member's benefit, transaction with W27 was very smooth, super fast shipping and excellent communication. He also provided a ton of pics showing the quality prior to me purchasing them.

Klipsch-RB-75-1.jpg

Klipsch-RB-75-2.jpg

Klipsch-RB-75-3.jpg

Thank you for the kind words. I could tell everyone what a pleasure you are to deal with, but I'm pretty sure most of the people around here already know that. I really hope your friend enjoys them... They will be missed.