Looking for oil capacitors for Klipschorns

caoutchouc

Bob's caps are not PIO's. You can get russki mil surplus PIO's off of ebay but probably not 13uf values so you would have to series (or parallel can't remember), three 4uf's and one 1uf to get that value.

Try them you'll like them.

A Thebes Approved Audiophile Component.

The Russian K40Y are paper in oil, most of the rest on eBay which are being sold as PIO are actually a hybrid paper/polymer in oil. I would want to see ESR readings before buying any. A new paper in oil capacitor should generate ESR readings not much higher than a good polypropylene cap.

The cans found in the Klipsch networks throughout the 70s are not PIO, they are Mylar in oil. Once you get back far enough to actually find the PIOs, they are pretty much shot -- they are after all, almost 50 years old.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled insanity.

The Russian K40Y are paper in oil, most of the rest on eBay which are being sold as PIO are actually a hybrid paper/polymer in oil. I would want to see ESR readings before buying any. A new paper in oil capacitor should generate ESR readings not much higher than a good polypropylene cap. The cans found in the Klipsch networks throughout the 70s are not PIO, they are Mylar in oil. Once you get back far enough to actually find the PIOs, they are pretty much shot -- they are after all, almost 50 years old. I now return you to your regularly scheduled insanity.

You sound like Bob.............

• 2 weeks later...

I have a set of new and unused 12uf and 2uf PIO caps that I bought from Dean a few years ago. Don't recall the name brand, but they are the pricy shiny mirror finish ones. I think they are the V-cap brand. You would need to add a 1uf in parallel to the 12uf to get 13uf. Also, if you only need a pair of 2uf's, then you are re-capping A networks? AA networks have 2 pairs of 2uf caps. PM me if interested and I'll go on the hunt for them....it's been a few years since I seen them...but they are here somewhere in the original box as received from Dean.