For Sale La Scalas

Ok so I cheated with the headline to get your interest.

Danos La Scalas were mine. (Or, so I thought) He never responded to my email, on here, or in the BB post. It was only later I read he decided to keep them.

I have bid on some La Scalas on Ebay, not to get them because I was outbid at the last second... (It took me a while to figure out the "secret" bid process) (Some also say we may sell these before the auction ends, kinda wording. You see the same pairs over n over using a different name and I think most just say ok not enough $$ I am pulling them.) I even sent a check to someone who later returned it 3 weeks later. ( He didn't cash it..But why hold MY money for 3 weeks...as I called, every day, bothering him. He said, I lost it in my move... But later "found "it.)

I guess I just wanted to blow off some steam in here. Whith you my Klipsch friends, on looking for deals and war stories about our searches. When I first was on this board there was a pair of very clean birch raw La Scalas for what ended up costing the buyer $450.00 A steal? Yes. (Buy it now function)

A friend of mine now has them, because I alerted him to these on Ebay for the Klipsch La Scala speakers. (I felt guilty already owning Klipsch speakers, this was his first buy.) They were in perfect condition, never stained, just as they left the factory. The sellers dad owned them, and he was the typical stuffy uneducated (About Klipsch) kid, who had to have what was promoted in the latest Stereo Review. What were these monstorous boxes? Get them outta here. They were hardley used in my opinion, and THAT was a great find. My friend knows I drool every time I come over, and he says "You know, those could have been yours...." Which makes my blood boil with envy underneath...LOL

To Danos....

I am happy his wife approved of the La Scalas, and the WAF (Wife Approval Factor) was based on what she heard. I am also glad he is a Klipsch fan too. At least they will go and stay with a loving fan... Even if I hardley slept a wink expecting to drive to Nashville Sunday! Enjoy them!

This message has been edited by IndyKlipschFan on 06-26-2002 at 12:04 PM

It's this kind of ebay BS that causes me to look for gear here from people that can be trusted, or just pick up in person. I would have a tough time buying Khorns, LaScalas, etc. on ebay then having them shipped with no personal look see before paying for them. Feedback can be misleading at times. I would only bid if I could pick them up. With big ticket items, the ebay concept has flaws. Once I know what I want, I look until I find it, and the terms are agreeable.

Find those LaScalas, rent a truck or van if necessary, and go get 'em. Your persistence will pay off, sooner or later.

Good luck!

IndyKlipschFan wrote:

quote:

(It took me a while to figure out the "secret" bid process)

OK, I'm game, fill us in. I feel like I must have missed school that day. cwm30.gif

Colin

------------------

My System

This message has been edited by chickey on 06-24-2002 at 10:26 PM

IndyKlipschFan,

I sure didnt mean to create any bad vibes out there. I received several emails and responded to everyone. Not sure what happened if we never spoke but sorry. I REALLY was planning on selling them. But when I straightened out the phase and she heard them..Well.you must understand. I BOUGHT them cause i wanted them !! I wasnt using any BS tactics and think of myself as a straight foward business man ( hence my 350+ feddback on ebay ). I'm really glad that I'll be keepin these but, at the same time, sorry if you felt like you were entitles to something you didnt get.. No hard feelings..how 'bout a big hug ??cwm20.gif

Indy's just frustrated, that's all. I had similar problems locating a Chorus pair - ended up driving to Georgia to pick 'em up from edster00.

He will succeed. If Indy keeps hanging out here, he will find his LaScalas.

Secret bid - offers taken outside of ebay during an auction. Often a seller will respond to an offer to sell outside of ebay, because the seller isn't sure what he will get at auction. When I see "auction ended because item is no longer available for sale", it makes one wonder. This happened to me on a set of Chorus, 3 hours from my door.

Secret bid #2 - "bid sniper" software that will place your bid for you at the end of the auction, or just doing it manually at the latest time possible.

Not sure if these are what Indy is referring to, but they do make ebay a challenge.

IndyKlipschFan,

Hang in there and be patient. It's tough to do when all you're thinking is how great it will be when you get some LaScalas. Listings of LaScalas along with Khorns and Belles seem to run in strings. When they are lisited, there are usually others also listed. This is sometimes prompted by a pair going at a high price and others feel it's time to cash in or out depending on one's point of view. Then there are times when there's virtually none listed. Around Oct-Dec of last year there were plenty of LaScalas for sale. At present there are two pair listed on ebay;

#1 LaScalas

#2 LaScala

The #1 is a project, the #2 looks like everything a pair of LaScala can be.

I waited a long time to find a pair of vintage Belles that I could "afford". I definitely shot a few blanks before hitting the target. There's a pair of LaScalas waiting for you.

Klipsch out.

First off, to Dano.. BIG HUG!!!!! Like I said, I was not really mad at you. (Just the situation.) I was sleeping like a baby and excited to drive to Nashville. Just like the 4th- 5th time now...Trying to get a really good deal that fell through. So no feelings bad your way, I think I even said I was very happy for you, especially with the WAF being good for you too.

As far as Secrets on Ebay... yes, I will tell you some even if it does kill my future chances....but your all my friends anyhow.. So here goes two of them already stated...with some additional comments. And my final suggestion.

Secret bid #1 - These offers are taken outside of EBAY during an auction. Often a seller will respond to an offer to sell outside of EBAY, from an email. They do this, because the seller isn't sure what he will get at auction. When I see "auction ended because item is no longer available for sale." These are usually pawn shop brokers, dealers, or people looking to make a quick buck. One guy said he "lost his La Scalas..." I laughed and said you mean to really tell me, you Lost two big speakers weighing over 100 lbs each... yeah right!! Pllleeeeaaaassseee...LOL

Secret bid #2 - "bid sniper" software, that will place your bid for you at the end of the auction, or just doing it manually at the latest time possible. This is hard to do sometimes... I found you need to place a bid with odd numbers up and see where it goes..if it says minimum bid 5 dollars go 11 or something like that.. The extra six dollars you might spend...Big deal.

Secret bid#3 - Deleted..was too confusing and I learned better ways from all of you too.

And DanoCatster relax.. Were all friends on here. (Well most of us are!!) The people that get upset wayyyy over the line come and go on this BB. If a guy has been on here say a year or so, and had + - 100 posts...And MOST of them are constructive and helpful, he/she is a true Klipsch fan. And like a lot of people. I will take all the friends I can be a friend with in life!

This message has been edited by IndyKlipschFan on 06-26-2002 at 12:05 PM

Indy,

I don't understand your eBay #3 method at all. What advantage is there to have two accounts? Why compete with yourself? Can you clarify?

If you have bid, say, $100 on something, you can bid higher with your original name. The higher bid just ups your proxy bid. It won't show up unless it is needed to beat out someone else's lower bid.

Example: There is an item currently at $50. You put in a $100 bid on it. The bid will advance to whatever is needed to beat the current bid. Let's say the current bidder had his top bid for $55. Your $100 bid will show up as $56. And you'll win it for that unless someone puts in more bids and gets over $100.

However, you could bid again, say $150, after you were high bidder at $56. That would not change the $56 bid being high at that point. In other words, your second bid does not compete with your first bid, but is just an extension to it.

But if you have a second account (which I thought was forbidden?), then if you put in a $150 bid, the bid is going to shoot up to $102.50 (or whatever the next increment is above $100). You've just made yourself pay more than twice as much for something. So it seems to me that the #3 method is a very bad way to do it, unless I'm missing something.

This message has been edited by paulparrot on 06-25-2002 at 01:04 PM

That "ebay Secret #3" should be sent to a logician for amusement. It's a head scratcher for sure.

As I have said many times, only on ebay...

kh

------------------

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

Regarding "Secret #3", I think Mobile has one of the 2 best solutions out there on how to bid in the last 2 min. I have used it with success, but I also must admit to being a "sniper", with a seperate program that places "up to" my maximum bid at the last 3 seconds. Since I would not pay over that amount anyway, if I lose, I lose. (It also keeps me from getting involved in a bidding frenzy at the last min. and bidding more than I should)

Mike

------------------

1977 K-Horns

Wright Sound 2A3 Monoblocks

AMC CVT 1030 PreAmp

Jolida 602A CD

Thorens TD-165

Silverline Speaker Cables

Various Monster Interconnects.

That still is insanity. I have a method that involves one screen name, is legal, and makes far more sense. That method is insane. You are getting in your car to get the mail at the end of the driveway with that mess! What's going on over there??? heh....

I have never lost an auction. Yet, that is.

kh

ps- Mike, how did the preamp work out? What's up? I have been waiting to hear from you.

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 06-25-2002 at 02:33 PM

Guess I was trying to tell you HOW a clock works...Rather what time is it? Sorry LOL

Without software to bid at the last second..(Which is cool too) I was trying to say hold on to a bid up to x number of dollars as your proxie bid under a different name to be used only at the last possible time. This way your pattern, and everyone elses, looks like your going up 1,2,3 dollars at a time and your protected.( Thus my poker reference..and not jumping too fast at the end) How many times do you see someone not even in the bid process win just a little more than the room was bidding in the last day/ hour/ min or so. Hope this clears it up.

I am telling you once again, there is an easier method that works better than that approach and is legal and works most of the time. Let me add, IT is FAR easier than that and less of a hassle and clustercluck. Occasionally, someone will ask and I'll mail it out to them if feeling spry. Seriously, I think it's time you retire #3! I see what you have been trying to say about it the whole time. I just dont happen to think it makes much sense since there is a much easier way that does not involve multiple screen names and circumspect reasoning.

How does a clock work again?

kh

Mobile,

I see a micro-publishing opportunity here. Mobile's "Secrets to Bidding on EBay", complete with illustrations and diagrams, all for only $9.99. Given your proficiency with web design and graphics, as well as your writing skills, this should be a no-brainer. Get an off-the-shelf micro payment system, plug it into your site, and you should up and running by day's end. Sign me up for a subscription!

Cheers,

C

------------------

My System

Mobile... Looks like your on to something...

Now, if you can find us all Birch Raw a 9-10 out of 10, in looks, of course all origional and working parts... (Whatever your "dream" Klipsch speaker is.)

And, for 400-700 dollars... I would even pay YOU 100 dollars for the find..(Of course, 0-8 hrs drive time to Indianapolis, IN too...LOL) Maybe thats what we need to do.. Pay finders fees...LOL That way, the kids on this BB could find a great PT summer job, or other adults in places where Klipsch speakers seem to be with great connections, finding our dream purchases.. Just a thought.

It is a stretch... Even this guy has a dream of finding Klipsch Speakers. I can just imagine the conversation. Hello, ___<insert your local Klipsch dealer here...> I downsized my house, got rid of the misses and kids, and I finally can aford those new K Horns..send em over!! Man I can't wait to hear Led Zep cranked up on these. lol woooo hooooooo

This message has been edited by IndyKlipschFan on 06-26-2002 at 11:21 AM

Indeed. I think deals are still to be had in audio...both on ebay and other sites online. I got my Cornwalls for $600 off Audiogon. Last year, I was at Stereo Sound outside of Philly, PA and saw multiple Klipsch speakers for very good prices. The deals are out there, you just have to be on the lookout, just like in finding a great apartment. It helps to be patient and not in a rush. I think there are many LaScalas around since these were used as PAs quite often and also are too large for many home users. In addition, mated with mediocre solid state, they have the potential to burn a hole through to your medulla, although this might be an improvement for a few...

Once I decided I wanted to try Klipsch heritage as a possible single-ended triode speaker solution, I had to only wait about 15 months before a pair turned up down the road a ways. My Audiogon purchase went smooth as silk. Just keep your eyes open.

kh