Craigslist score again

wuzzzer

Pair of black KG4s and slightly smaller Yamaha speakers were listed locally for $100. They're now in my basement! Turns out the guy selling them went to school with a co-worker of mine. Small world. I asked him how much just the Klipsch were and he said $100. Didn't hurt to ask. He said the Yamahas were free with the Klipsch. I think I shouldn't have a problem selling the Yamahas for $50. He was the original owner, bought them in 1990 and hasn't used them in 17 years when he got married. He's moving so he wanted to get rid of some stuff.

Believe it or not, I'm actually considering using the KG4s as surrounds and selling my Forte IIs. If I do that I will have a $150 Klipsch surround setup thanks to craigslist. Not too shabby.

Posted Image

Nice score man! We should start one them scavenger shows getting great stereo gear for dirt cheap!

Check out my profile and know that its just the tip of the iceberg. I make funny money from this adventure. My latest CL find was a RC 52ii for 150,

So good find, and best of luck with the next honey pot. Also Mint RF 7's, for 2K. I have a lead on those if someones lookin'.

Got my walnut KG4's for a hundred off of the local CL, maybe 2 years ago but, no Yamaha speakers. I would say, you are on a roll, what with your $50 Chorus.

Yep. Total price I've paid for my Forte IIs, Chorus, KG4s and the Yamaha bookshelves is $425. [:)]

Got my walnut KG4's for a hundred off of the local CL, maybe 2 years ago but, no Yamaha speakers. I would say, you are on a roll, what with your $50 Chorus.

Yep. Total price I've paid for my Forte IIs, Chorus, KG4s and the Yamaha bookshelves is $425. Smile

Smokin hot!

Will be interested in your impression of the KG4's for R&R and bass presence when you have time or want to.

Thanks[H]

Man do these sound great! I took out the passive radiators and removed and re-inserted all the speaker connections a few times to give a nice solid connection to all the terminals and connectors. Hauled my Chorus' down to the basement and hooked up the KG4s. Man are they puny compared to the Chorus! They sure don't lack in sound though. Their 94dB sensitivity versus the Chorus 101dB sensitivity is obviously noticeable but a few clicks of the volume up button takes care of that.

I haven't been able to turn up the volume too loud since my wife went to bed right after I got them hooked up. They definitely have that Klipsch sound. I turned off my sub and am running them full range to test them out. Even at lower volumes with the bass set flat on my receiver they have very smooth, detailed bass. I'd say they have only slightly less bass than my Fortes. Treble extension seems pretty good, but I am used to the titanium tweeters in my Chorus.

Here's my plan. Since my beater Chorus' need some serious cabinet refinishing I have decided to paint them black sometime this summer. The KG4s can use a bit of touch-up on the corners and the top of one of them needs to be refinished. I'll probably sand down all 4 cabinets and paint them black so they match.

I will be selling my Forte IIs. Local buyers will have first dibs on them since I'm not too thrilled about packing them up to ship them.

Man do these sound great! I took out the passive radiators and removed and re-inserted all the speaker connections a few times to give a nice solid connection to all the terminals and connectors. Hauled my Chorus' down to the basement and hooked up the KG4s. Man are they puny compared to the Chorus! They sure don't lack in sound though. Their 94dB sensitivity versus the Chorus 101dB sensitivity is obviously noticeable but a few clicks of the volume up button takes care of that.

I haven't been able to turn up the volume too loud since my wife went to bed right after I got them hooked up. They definitely have that Klipsch sound. I turned off my sub and am running them full range to test them out. Even at lower volumes with the bass set flat on my receiver they have very smooth, detailed bass. I'd say they have only slightly less bass than my Fortes. Treble extension seems pretty good, but I am used to the titanium tweeters in my Chorus.

Here's my plan. Since my beater Chorus' need some serious cabinet refinishing I have decided to paint them black sometime this summer. The KG4s can use a bit of touch-up on the corners and the top of one of them needs to be refinished. I'll probably sand down all 4 cabinets and paint them black so they match.

I will be selling my Forte IIs. Local buyers will have first dibs on them since I'm not too thrilled about packing them up to ship them.

I think it was worth the doing just so you can hear what you have in the KG-4's. Not lacking in bass and for a 2 way, decent mix. A lot of sound for that size speaker was my overall impression. I may unhook my forte's just to hear my KG-4's again for reference. If indeed you become happy with your Chorus/KG setup, I would still be hard pressed to sell the ForteII's until you are absolutely certain. Some like the black, and with the right touchup's/paint jobs, they can look very good. At least what I have seen.

Wow, I am very very impressed by these speakers. They look puny sitting where my Chorus were, but they sure don't sound puny! For their size and sensitivity rating they are awesome. Listening to them for a few hours today with lots of different music makes my decision easy to make. They will definitely be able to hold their own as surrounds with Chorus as front mains. The Forte IIs are up for sale!!

My wife finally decided on a couch for our main floor living room so in the next few weeks we'll be moving the home theater back down in the basement. I can't wait! Our basement is a way better setup for home theater than our main floor living room is.