The next upgrade

akdave

I saw an "unofficial" demo today of Sony's new 4K TV. The dealer was running blu ray through it. Apparently Sony is going to be providing a player to run native 4k content through it for their "official" release on the 19th.

The picture is amazing! I commented to the dealer how hard it will be to sell the rest of the tv's in the place after these begin to stock the shelves. Blacks, contrast, colors - wow. wow. wow.

I know what kind of projector I will be holding out for now!

How much is that sony going to be on release?

From numerous conversations had with many different sales people at various electronics stores it seems that 4k will be financially out of reach for the everyday Joe (keep in mind this is for a quality 4k equipped set because i just read some rumors saying Seiki is eyeing a $1,500.00 price tag for theyre 4k set). Im sure for the first few years before the smell of new wears off of 4k I myself will not be able to afford such a nice/ high end set or projector. I of coarse have no input as far as a suggested retail but Im sure somebody here will chime in with what Sony may be projecting.

http://store.sony.com/c/XBR-4K-TV-Ultra-HD-Resolution/en/c/S_4KTV

^^ Actually alot more reasonable than I originally posted above, a very shocking and impressive price point.

One of my local electronic stores set up a LG 84" 4k several weeks ago. I watched some of of Batman on blu-ray there. Picture was incredible but for 15K I'll be waiting a long time before upgrading to this level.

The price IS steep, it's also the first gen of a new tech so who knows what new bells and whistles will develop.

The dealer where I saw the display had a newer (Non Kuro) Elite right behind the 4k and I told him, that's where the deals are now. The blacks, IMHO blew the doors off of the Elite, BUT I believe it's still LED so plasma fans may still object to the soap opera effect of motion, but I didn't think it was too bad. Of course the pixar/dreamworks preview - Despicable Me and UP (still just blu ray - not native 4k) were striking. It's remarkable how, just when you think they've hit the pinnacle, something better comes along and one day we'll all wonder why we spent so much on "that" technology! I will be back the second I hear they have the player set up with true 4k content.

It did give me comfort that I saved about $2k by purchasing a 65" VT Panasonic when the order I had on a 70" Elite fell through. I personally think 4K will be a worthwhile upgrade, in time, especially with the new push toward huge screen tv's and of course projectors!

Anyway, I look forward to others reactions to the technology. It's nice to have a forum where I can share these thoughts with others who have my home electronics "condition." [:P]

I'm looking forward to the 4k sets, I am one of those guys that will wait though for them to come down to reality though before buying. Like all technology, they will drop in price fast.

I am one of those guys that will wait though for them to come down to reality though before buying. Like all technology, they will drop in price fast.

If you wait a couple of years, the price will be lower and more extras.