Agree that my Blue Ray player is getting funky?

Coytee

This one had me perplexed a bit.... further sleuthing leads me to think something has gone south in my Panasonic DVD/BR player.

Bought three new BR disks, Dire Straits, Queen and Supertramp.

Which one to listen to first..... decided Supertramp. Inserted disk, music started....no video. "no input source, check connection or input selection" error on the screen.

Hmm... fiddle around... get to thinking the disk was defective however, the sound (only) was playing.

Swapped out for Dire Straits.... same situation, sound but no visuals.

Swap out for Queen....same situation.

Stumped... I pull a Roger Waters DVD (as I sit here, I don't think it's a blue ray) and insert it. Same issue....sound but no visuals.

Mind you, I have two HDMI lines going to the TV, one is for the satellite receiver and the other is for the blue ray player.

pull/wiggle.... reinsert... same issue.

Finally, I cross the wires. Input 1 is always the TV and Input 4 is the DVD player.

I swap the wires at the hardware end (leaving the TV end alone) and now, the TV is working fine on Input 4 and Input 1 is sound only, no visuals.

I'm deducing that the HDMI connectors themselves are fine as are the inputs to the TV. I'm guessing that the video portion of the player has bugged out on me over the (literally) last 3 days.

Agree?

If so... what is a good current BR player?

Price... perhaps a couple hundred?

I hadn't thought much about price.

A second thought... I recall being told once that I should shun a DVD player and get a Play Station II or something like that?

It was suggested to me that the PSII would play all disks and play them well....and be less expensive. (??)

It was suggested to me that the PSII would play all disks and play them well....and be less expensive. (??)

PS2 or 3? PS2 Will not even play Blu Ray. My Yamah SACD/DVDA player hasent worked for sometime, saving up for Oppo. I trieed using my PS3, according to what Iheard some play SACD some dont. I found that mine plays some SACD on 2channel. It will not play them in 5.1. As far for dvd audio it plays it. I dont know if you are concerned with playing those formats, just an fyi..

PS2 or 3? PS2 Will not even play Blu Ray

Heh, showing off my ignorance...

It's been a couple years since I was told that, perhaps prior to me having any Blue Ray's.

Regardless, I didn't know it wouldn't play them. Good to know it now though.

• Moderators

Many players now have wireless internet including radio stations like Pandora and others, I don't know if that was something you would be interested in, it does sound better than what you get on satellite. imo

PS2 or 3? PS2 Will not even play Blu Ray. My Yamah SACD/DVDA player hasent worked for sometime, saving up for Oppo. I trieed using my PS3, according to what Iheard some play SACD some dont. I found that mine plays some SACD on 2channel. It will not play them in 5.1. As far for dvd audio it plays it. I dont know if you are concerned with playing those formats, just an fyi..

New ps3 wont play sacd. The reason some play is that some sacd are hybrid discs that have the normal 2 channel cd disc on the same disc. They work in any cd player but are no better than a basic cd.

To the OP if you want a great player that will do everything grab an oppo.