Power for RF-7s, Suggestions?

ladutjr

Hello everyone,

I own the Klipsch RF-7 package with a powered RT-12D sub. My current Yamaha AV reciever that I bought 7 years ago quit working[:@]. I am looking to buy a new reciever maybe a Denon AVR-3313CI. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on what to get.

Thanks in advance!

I've been running my RF-7II's and Emotiva X-Ref 12 sub from a little 50 watt per channel Marantz NR-1402 receiver. It performs well and doesn't take up very much space in my TV stand since it's one of their "slim-line" receivers.

The on screen setup menus are absolutely terrible however which was a big pain for me since I didn't like how the automatic Audyssey settings sounded and had to set it up manually.

If you're wondering about amplifier power requirements for your speakers; I would refer you to Chuck Hawks excellent article where he specifically addresses RF-7's at http://www.chuckhawks.com/speaker_spl_amp_power.htm

Best of luck on your search.

i would like to keep it under $1000, room size is 20'x25' with vaulted ceilings, and cermic tile flooring. I am thinking of buying a 7.2 reciever but will be running a 5.1 setup, therefore I will use the exising two channels to "biamp" the RF-7s. I am also looking for a second RT-12D to match the other. OH, and thanks for the warm welcome!!!!!![:D]

I have Onkyo 809 and run old Carver TFM-35x with RF-7s -- took a bit to get the Audyssey right -- but it sounds awesome now.

Amp is 250+ channel. I tried the onboard amps and they weren't nearly as good.

Your biamp may be a good idea.

I have Klipsch sub that I'm not all too happy about. I'm out of money for gear so I'm on 2.1 for awhile.

• Moderators

I am thinking of buying a 7.2 reciever but will be running a 5.1 setup, therefore I will use the exising two channels to "biamp" the RF-7s.

I tried that with my 5.1 RF-83 system using a Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver. When I biamped using the surround backs channels, I heard no difference whatsoever. YMMV. Welcome to the forums.

• Moderators

I forgot to mention that when I added a separate Parasound (220 x 5) to the Yamaha, that was a very noticable difference. Much better separation of musical instruments, added clarity (especially at very high volumes) and added bottom end (even at low volumes).

I agree about bi amping an avr, forget it. The Denon would be fine, just overpriced at anything even near retail. The 809 is the best buy other than used (which is fine imo) I'm no huge Onkyo fan but the last few generations have really improved,imo. An Emotiva amp would be a great addition to any mid or lower avr.

My cabinet doesn't have a lot of ventilation, Running the 809 as preamp keeps it cool without fan and the Carver runs cools even when driving the RF-7s above reference volume.

Probably any good amp will sound good!

BTW, the RF-7s were my first speaker upgrade since the 70's book self speakers I had. Wow!

I bought the 809 for $426 from Amazon what a steal that has been.

I have used a Yamaha M 70 and M 80 to drive the RF 7's. There are a lot of options that will work. The biggest decision is deciding how many channels you want on the amp. Some use 2, 3, 5 or 7 channel amps. I am currently running and M 80 for the 7's and a Carver m 400 for the RC 64 and the other speakers off the avr. A lot of nice amps can be found on the use/vintage market.

Hello everyone,

I own the Klipsch RF-7 package with a powered RT-12D sub. My current Yamaha AV reciever that I bought 7 years ago quit workingAngry. I am looking to buy a new reciever maybe a Denon AVR-3313CI. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on what to get.

Thanks in advance!

I personally would look at Harman Kardon's and the Pioneer Elites that have the d3 amps. I have not heard Onkyo's in many years so I have no experience with them but they get a lot of praise on the forums so they are worth a look as well.