Adire Tempest or SVS Ultra......?

tpg

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say the home made sonosub. not because you will get a whole bunch more performance, but that you will save a bundle.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

Blah blah all talk

Alot better then Ultras my a$$,BS and pure lies.

Who says so? Where are the measured comparisons? HUH

Save alot!? BS

The Ultra goes for about $900 the driver itself is almost half the price of the whole sub.SO where do you save alot?

Dont have for the Ultra get a SVS PC-Plus,inexpensive and gets you most of the output and almost all the quality of the Ultra.DIY is going down baby

TheEAR(s) Now theears

This message has been edited by TheEAR on 06-28-2002 at 09:00 PM

I can't speak for the Ultra but I have a dual Tempest sonosub. Cost was about $900 to build including the Hypex amp which was $500. You can get less expensive amps if on a budget.

I'm only pushing 250watts to each driver and here's the specs I've measured @ 1 meter.

16Hz = 110

20Hz = 117

31.5Hz = 127

45Hz = 125

Sub is very tight and accurate whether playing quiet or VERY loud. The depth charges on U-571 LITERALLY shook my neighbors windows 2 houses away!

I couldn't be happier with the way this sub turned out. If you're near Chicago I'd be glad to give you a demo. I'm more than willing to put it up against a pair of Ultras as win or lose I still know my DIY sub kicks major ***!!

After reading the post by theEAR all I can say is he needs to change his name to theFOOT since he's gone and stuck it in his mouth again cwm4.gif

This message has been edited by Mlstrass on 06-28-2002 at 09:20 PM

Sure sure you could

Then go and buy the drivers,the amp and make your chimney sized sub.Anybody can build a powerful sub in a huge cabinet(very practical oh yes).Few can design and make subs that perform in small boxes/cylinders.

The SVS cylinder size is still within the realm of practical.If you want a sub the size of a house then go for ot and build your chimney. cwm27.gif

I know when I get my very own Ultras they will outperform almost any DIY in sub bass quality and few large DIY will match them in output.Keep in mind I will use a nice Bryston 4B Smile.gif

When I was young I did sych a project and went to buy two giant 18" Pro woofers.The cabinet was huge dual chamber box(braced every 12 inches!...lots of work,the bracing took most of the time)and powered the beast with my then deam amp the Realistic(Radio Shack)two channel 100W RMS power amp with the EQ!WOW I was in heaven,the sub had awesome power.But it was HUGE,TITANIC,whale sized!Not practical at all.Sold the sub for $400 when we moved.

So its your call,if you want to really outperform the SVS Ultras you will have to build a BIG cabinet,real BIG.And even then 20Hz performance of twin SVS Ultras will be a good challenge.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Mlstrass,

I would love to see the output of your supersub in the hands of Nousaine.I bet my subs your great measured performance would look much more down to earth.

Its not only about quantity,quality is above all else.

If I wanted raw power I would just go and buy Cerwin Vega Pro stage speakers with elephant motor driven horn loaded bass bins.This would slam your supersub in output at 30Hz six feet under. BTW

And I will not change my nickname,when you reach as many posts as I have then you may give me orders.My nickname stands,TheEAR.

cwm27.gif

The only depth charge that produces your claimed output comes after you eat the whole plate of pork chops with strawberry jam!

TheEAR(s) Now theears

This message has been edited by TheEAR on 06-28-2002 at 09:40 PM

Tomorrow I am picking up my 24 inch sonotube. I am going to put a tempest driver into it and power it by a 250 watt plate amp. Is it going to be as good as a svs ulta, I dont know never heard one, but I bet I will come close. SO what if my tube is a little bigger than the ultra. I am going to build this for about 450 bucks, I bet an ultra is at least double that. Everyone that has built one of these has nothing but positive results and the satisfaction of doing it yourself. Mlstrass has posted the specs on the tempest sonotube, what is the ultras? How close are the two. and look at the price difference.

Obviously theFoot has issues with large cylinder shaped objects, are we feeling a little envious cwm4.gif

So far your only arguement has been that the sonosub is BIG compared to an SVS. Who cares if it's in a dedicated HT room and fits in. Personally I like the reactions I get when people first see it, and especially when they hear it.

If you don't believe my measurements who the hell cares, sure not trying to impress you as you're NOT the sub authority you think you are. I built this sub to impress ME!

The guy asked a question and I answered, why do you have such a problem with that???? If he's not worried about building a big sub and wants the most performance for the $$$ then DIY might be the answer.

Wondering if my "chimney sized" sub is as big as theFoot's ego cwm35.gif

arfz28,

Good luck on the sub. I'm sure you'll be very happy with it. It's almost hard to imagine how a low priced sub, a cardboard tube, & some MDF can sound SO good.

If someone doesn't have the $$$ for an SVS then DIY is a viable alternative irregardless of how they may compare; size, specs, & price wise.

We both know this isn't a competition, but others seem to have a real problem with that...

Don't forget to rent the crane to get it into your house cwm19.gif

"Obviously theFoot has issues with large cylinder shaped objects, are we feeling a little envious"

You build the large cylinder to compensate for a lacking I think.

"I built this sub to impress ME!"

You sure did

"you as you're NOT the sub authority you think you are"

To you I am GOD

Go find the closest chimney and put a few 18" woffaz and place the mic inside the chimney when you measure performance next time you'll do over 140dB!

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I built a big sub because it doesn't require a lot of power and it easier to get more SPL, but I shouldn't have to explain that to a "self-proclaimed" expert.

Again, your only valid point is that a DIY sonosub is bigger than an SVS or commercial sub. Obviously the people building them don't have a problem with that. So who the f*ck cares what you think.

To me you're still a tool.......

------------------

KLF-30 - mains

KLF-10 - center channel

KLF 10's/20's - surrounds

KLF-C7 - back center

DIY dual Tempest sonosub

Look folks, I come to this forum to find out interesting information on the HT field. I don't come here to see a bunch of babies dissing a cool dude. Theears oviously has EXTREME EXPERIENCE in this field and you all would be better off letting him have his opinion. If you shut up long enough you might just learn something. After all, why can't we all just get along. Take it easy, we are all free to our own opinions. There, now that that's said, I'm sure you little babies will be dissing me now. Oh well, go ahead. All I know is because of Theears help, I now have a TOO DIE FOR HT setup the likes of which not many of you babies will ever really experience.

Take care all and keep the garbage to a minimum.

Rick

------------------

Mains RF-7

Centre RC-7

Surrounds RS-7

Rear Centre 2 x RS-7

Sub SVS-CS Ultra x 2

Receiver Denon AVR-5803

DVD Denon 2800

T.V. Sony KP57HW40 Widescreen

Computer Pro-Media 5.1

dafish,

Pucker-up baby cwm4.gif

In all seriousness, since theEars has not built a DIY sonosub is he really qualified to comment on them?? I have not heard an Ultra and stated that up front. I only offered my experience with the sub I built, and then he jumps all over me. He DOES need to get a life.

I don't doubt that he has some knowledge in the sub arena, but DIY isn't one of them so he should have just left it alone as he had NOTHING to contribute to the thread, so NO *** kissing coming from my direction.

------------------

KLF-30 - mains

KLF-10 - center channel

KLF-C7 - back center

DIY dual Tempest sonosub

mlstrass- I'm with you...I've been reading along very humored by this thread and TheEAR's "knowitall" mentality. I personally can afford whatever sub I wawnt to buy but have become very intrigued with DIY projects after completing my entire basement HT. So now I am comtemplating building my own sub and I kind of like the idea and I would agree that all the DIY'ers at HTForum.com and AVSforum.com can't be that far off when comparing against the name brands.

mlstrass, could you please send me a link or a PM of how or where I can get the detailed instructions to build one of these bad boys? My current chimney is in use here in the winter or I would consider filling that sucker with four 18's like the EAR suggested ;-)

Why is it when one Canadian spouts off with nonsense another always come running to defend their ground with further name calling and nonsense??

------------------

Bloomis, go to the web site www.hometheaterforum.com, click on the diy and advanced project link. AT the top of that page you will see the SONOTUBE PROJECT PAGE,click on that. there is a bunch of detailed project that people have done, Check out Patrick Suns water heater project link, this guy gives 130 detailed pictures on how to build a sonotube, Im going to build his version of the sono 2 with the tempest driver, but it is not going to be silver like his is. I just picked up my sotube 2 hours ago, it is big, not as big as my chimney thow but big.Going to homedepo tonight to get my router and a circle jig for the end caps, hope to have this project done by this fall, I am buisy with 3 kids all of them playing ball this summer.Ill keep you all informed on how the project is going. Mlstrass I might have a few questions for you with this project, mayby you can help me out. See all of you good people later.

Time for my Jerry Spinger "final thought" on this thread as it's going nowhere.

TG asked how an Ultra would compare to a dual Tempest and he got a few responses. If you reread my response I said I had no experience with the Ultra, but told him "my" experience with the dual Tempest I built, plain & simple.

Then theFoot jumps in with a VERY negative response to my post and all kinds of negative remarks about the sonosub, a sub he's NEVER built or heard. Someone please show me where he helped TG in any way at all with his remarks!

Then we did a little verbal sparring and puckerboy jumps in to defend him. I'll ask you, how can I learn something from him when he's babbling on about a sub he's NEVER heard or built??

Everybody's entitled to their own opinion, but if you want to be respected at least have an opinion on something you're familiar with otherwise you end up sticking your foot in your mouth cwm24.gif

------------------

KLF-30 - mains

KLF-10 - center channel

KLF-C7 - back center

DIY dual Tempest sonosub