Adire Tempest or SVS Ultra......?

tpg

As Mlstrass points out, theears should not give an opinion on something he knows nothing about. I have seen here and there (in several forums) his arrogant way to "demonstrate" how much he knows.

I don't deny he knows something, but the same can be said about most of the regulars of the audio forums, why is him "respected"? because he post a lot, he let the world knows he exists posting thousands of answers in this forums.

And ears, before you start to do your little wars on me also. I just wanted to say that it is your arrogant tone which is not appreciated! cwm12.gif

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dafishguy you are correct,why cant we all get along.

Well you see Mr "Expert" Mlstrass knows as a fact I never build a sonsub.He knows what I did and did not!

Wow Mlstrass do you work as a spy? NO! Come on be serious

As a matter of fact Mr Mlstrass my first 10 and 12" home made subs were built using tubes.Easy to build and inexpensive way to get BIG bass for little money.

I had a 10" Rat Shack driver and the larger used a second hand JL Audio I got for $90.A Realsitic PA power amp provided the power.

Mlstrass be serious,I never built a sub. HA HA HA in total I had a dozen home made subs.All working very well but missing the fit and fisnish of comercial high quality products like Aerial and Dynaudio.

I know well a sonosub can be built for under $1000 will oputperform(SPL) most subs under $5000 easy.No secret in this,as the tube costs under $100,conectors and endcaps $50 tops and the rest can go towards high quality heavy duty drivers.

I see Forrest is up to his old tactics,welcome back Forrest Smile.gif

"Why is it when one Canadian spouts off with nonsense another always come running to defend their ground with further name calling and nonsense??"

BLOOMIS914,

Canadians are evil and you americans are perfect.Why do you have to turn a subwoofer topic into a national one?

TheEAR(s) Now theears

quote:

I had a 10" Rat Shack driver and the larger used a second hand JL Audio I got for $90.A Realsitic PA power amp provided the power.I had a 10" Rat Shack driver and the larger used a second hand JL Audio I got for $90.A Realsitic PA power amp provided the power.

But you have NOT built a dual Tempest sonosub and that was the sub TG asked about. I have built one and offered up my impressions, period. Never said it was the best, or even told him to build one vs an SVS

quote:

I know well a sonosub can be built for under $1000 will oputperform(SPL) most subs under $5000 easy.No secret in this,as the tube costs under $100,conectors and endcaps $50 tops and the rest can go towards high quality heavy duty drivers.

This is quite contradictory to all of the negative remarks you made earlier.

quote:

Theears oviously has EXTREME EXPERIENCE in this field and you all would be better off letting him have his opinion.

OBVIOUSLY he has NO experience building a dual Tempest sub, which is sub in question. He's entitled to his opinion, but it carries NO weight when he has no hands-on experience with one.

Besides Americans are better at hockey than Canucks, and The Great One was actually born in Chicago cwm35.gif

------------------

KLF-30 - mains

KLF-10 - center channel

KLF 10's/20's - surrounds

KLF-C7 - back center

DIY dual Tempest sonosub

This message has been edited by Mlstrass on 06-29-2002 at 07:25 PM

OK, Let's keep it light-hearted as that was my intention....I love Canadians, if it wasn't for you guys we wouldn't have won three Stanley Cups in the last 6 years here in Detroit('97, '98 and '02), and I wouldn't be able to drive 25 minutes to buy all my duty free high-octane beer and alcohol!!! I also love Tim Horton's, The Bare Naked Ladies, Rush and I bought all my Klipsch speakers from a dealer in Windsor.

As a Hockey player living 25 minutes from the Detroit-Windsor border, I never pass up an opportunity to take a shot at one of my friends. Come on guys/TheEar let's have fun but be honest with your forum friends when you really haven't built more than some Radio shack/Heathkit special sub....I really don't think you should spout off unless you can contribute a first hand experience with his or something similar...Give him(mlstrass) just a little respect.

Great thread, Eh?

------------------

This message has been edited by BLOOMIS914 on 06-29-2002 at 08:03 PM

BLOOMIS914,

All clear all good.Nothing against you

Mlstrass,

Ok I made some negative remarks,not founded I agree.As I know home made subs from proven plans work well,very well.

Now I have only a lesser "problem"...

"Besides Americans are better at hockey than Canucks, and The Great One was actually born in Chicago"

Uh not so sure,remember the olympics? Huh two gold medals for CANADA in hockey.The Great one is Canadian,Maurice Richard is too,Mario Lemieux.

You can try to adopt The Great one,all know he is Canadian.

Tell you someting if The Great one is American then Ali is a Canadian.And Rivaldo is Russian LOL

The Canadians(hockey team here) have won the Stanley cup 23 times name one American team who won at least 15. LOL

You want to talk hockey? No problem with me

And Canada has 10 times less population so we should be 10 times less good,win 10 times less often the Stanley cup...well guess again. Wink.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Just threw that one out there to lighten the mood. We Americans all know that babies in Canada are born with skates on!! Hell I didn't start playing until in my late 20's, and last year I hung up the skates and became a referee.

Next you'll be telling me the Habs were a dynasty cwm4.gif

------------------

KLF-30 - mains

KLF-10 - center channel

KLF-C7 - back center

DIY dual Tempest sonosub

This message has been edited by Mlstrass on 06-29-2002 at 10:15 PM

Thanks Mike.I picked up the 6 foot sonotube yesterday. I hope I can do it, the end caps are my biggest worry, I picked up the router at homedepo yesterday to. I need a upcut spiral bit but they didnt have one. THEY say that is the best bit to cut mdf with,what bit did you use? I am going to my local lumber yard tomorrow to see if they have one.I should have about 26 or so inches of sonotube left maby to have another project down the line or mayby sell it.I cant wait to hear it, the best sub I heard so far is a sunfire signiture, I hope I can come close to it with this sonotube. I just dont have 1800 bucks for a sunfire.

Harbor Freight Tools on-line has a kit for $40 that has 12 bits. That's what I used as it has all the bits you'll need. I used the 1/4" & 1/2" straight bits to cut out the endcaps & circles for the subs/ports. Then the round-over on the edges.

As far as the endcaps are you going 2 or 3 layers thick? The bits aren't long enough to cut thru 3 layers so you'll need to drill a hole thru the center to flip it over and finish cutting it out.

NOTE: Cut out the flush mount for the sub, BEFORE cutting out the circle as they don't make a 3/4" rabbit bit to do it afterwards. Found that out the hard way!!

I used a piece of 1/8" pegboard for a circle jig. Worked perfect and only took 3 taper head screws to attach it to the router. There's a pic of one on the HTF. MDF is VERY easy to cut and if you do make a mistake at least it's only like $18 for a full sheet.

I lined my sub with 1" blanket batting from a craft store and used 3M spray glue to attach it. Not sure if you planned on using any stuffing in yours.

What's the port size/length and what tune will it be?

Keep the questions coming...Mike

------------------

KLF-30 - mains

KLF-10 - center channel

KLF-C7 - back center

DIY dual Tempest sonosub

This message has been edited by Mlstrass on 06-30-2002 at 10:58 PM

Mike, On the top endcap im thinking of cutting it around 25 inches so it sits on top of the tube, on the inside of the top im going to put 1 piece of mdf, do you think I should put 2? Im using 3/4 inch mdf.I will glue both of these pieces together before I put them in.I might need to use 2 pieces.one piece of mdf would only give me 3/4 of an inch seal,2 would give me an inch and a half. On the botum end cap, 1 25inch piece to fit outside the tube and 1 piece mdf and a piece of 1/4 plywood on top of it for the t nuts for the driver bolts to go into.This would give my 1 inch of wood on the inside of the botum of the tube.Im using Pat suns sono 2 as a modle, Its about a 43 inch tube, I think it is tuned to 16.5 hz, Ill have to check for sure.The duel temest will cost to much for me another driver, and a bigger amp.I cant remember the port lenth I think it is about 22 inches.DO you know how to use those calculations on tube size to tell a person how long the port should be and all that technical stuff? Im using pats sonotube project because all of the calculations are allready done and all of the pictures he has of the project.thank for the help, I need to get those router bits and find or build a router circle jig. thanks mike

<<<On the top endcap im thinking of cutting it around 25 inches so it sits on top of the tube, on the inside of the top im going to put 1 piece of mdf>>>

That should be fine for the top. On the bottome I would go with 3 layers of MDF, 2 inside the tube and 1 25" on the outside. No need to use the plywood & T-nuts, just pre-drill the holes in the MDF first and use some drywall/wood screws and hand tighten to avoid stripping them. Also be sure to add an extra 3/4" to the over-all length of the tube to compensate for the extra layer of MDF inside.

Not sure about the tuning as Dan W. from Adire gave me the specs. Just post on the HTF and you'll get an answer.

DEFINITELY use the DIY 1/8" pegboard circle jig since this will probably be a one-time project for you. The Jasper jig is over $40 & the DIY works just as good, and only requires a little math/tape measure work.

Good luck...Mike

------------------

KLF-30 - mains

KLF-10 - center channel

KLF-C7 - back center

DIY dual Tempest sonosub

• 3 weeks later...

Im now convinced that a single DIY Tempest can match the performance of a SVS Ultra. It is very simple in the end.

D I S P L A C E M E N T

That is the magical word. And a Tempest can move as much air as an Ultra, with a "mere" 250 watts input it can do what an Ultra can with much more power.

The disadvantage is the size, the advantage is the price.

In fact I just bought a Tempest and a 250 watts amplifier, I will post my results as soon as my DIY sub is done.

This message has been edited by Manuel on 07-31-2002 at 10:51 PM

>>>Im now convinced that a single DIY Tempest can match the performance of a SVS Ultra. It is very simple in the end.

D I S P L A C E M E N T<<<

That is like saying the bigger engine will always produce more horsepower.

>>>That is the magical word. And a Tempest can move as much air as an Ultra, with a "mere" 250 watts input it can do what an Ultra can with much more power.<<<

Run some ground plane 2m measurements documenting the THD at various freqs/SPLs and we'll see...Smile.gif

TV

Tom

I will. I just ordered a calibrated mic with a console to feed their Phantom Power requirements. I have also the ETF software and plan to install the SpectraLab (which appears to be the best RTA software out there).

I know the measures I will take will not be directly comparable to any other, still, they will serve just to have a closer idea on the Tempest vs. Ultra performance.

quote:

Originally posted by arfz28:

Manuel, What kind of sub are you putting the tempest driver in

Im still not sure, most probably one of Adire Alignments. Im still experimenting with the design software and learning all that I can in order to get it right from the beginning.

I will post here my specs and measurements when my sub is ready.

This message has been edited by Manuel on 08-02-2002 at 06:56 PM

TV,

"Run some ground plane 2m measurements documenting the THD at various freqs/SPLs and we'll see..."

You got that right,there is no 12" driver on the market to outperform the 12" SVS SS driver in SPL and low THD.The Adire Brahma series could be quite close besides these not much else competes.

TheEAR(s) Now theears