Apple TV and Networking Help

Youthman

• Moderators

I purchased an Apple TV 3 last night. Setup was simple and we were able to watch a TV Show I purchased from iTunes through the iPad 2 through the HT.

My wireless router is in our bedroom closet on the opposite end of the house from the HT. As a result, the HT receives a low Wi-Fi signal. Because of that, I have the PS3 connected via Cat5 jack in the HT room.

When we first connected the Apple TV, the Wi-Fi signal was low and the video had to buffer too much to watch.

So I disconnected the cat5 from the PS3 and plugged it into the Apple TV. Signal still was slow so I moved the iPad closer to the router in the bedroom and the video played great.

I can now play anything from my iTunes (music, movies etc) account through the HT which is sweet. The Apple TV can even mirror whatever is showing on your iPhone or iPad which makes it nice to be able to show the photos of NYC I took with my iPhone.

My question is regarding networking. Do I need a Network Switch to plug the PS3 and Apple TV into or maybe a Range Expander to get the Wi-Fi signal stronger?

Look into apple airport. They use them to expand and extend the network signal plus they can be used as an airplay spot. So maybe if your 2 channel in the living room is a halfway point you could hook it there and then have APPLE EVERYWHERE!!!!

I second Scrappy's suggestion.

We had some connection/speed issues for a while, I got an AirPort Extreme and we very rarely have any issues. I can keep my iPad connected to wifi when I am outside 40 ft from our house.(maybe farther, haven't jumped our fence to test yet).

apple might be the evil empire, but their stuff works really well together.

good luck

• Like 1

• Moderators

Thx for the suggestions guys. There are several Airport Express and Extreme on Craigslist.

Not sure if Express or Extreme would be better for my setup.

1st Gen Airport Extreme Model A1143 for $50 - Link

4th Gen Airport Extreme Model for $75 - Link

Looks like they are at least 5 Generations of the airport extreme. Was interested in the $50 until I found out it was a 1st Gen. LOL

Below is the floorplan for our home. The 2ch setup isn't too far from the current router but it is separated by two walls. I would think location 4 or 5 would be a better location for any type of extender if I'm looking to get better wifi in the HT.

What are your thoughts?

floorplan2.jpg

Network switch would be optimal if its an option. Next would be an AirPort Extreme, not express. Extreme allows for DUAL band connectivity. You want this if you'll ever have more than one device pulling a signal from it. It optimizes the signal path to the strongest available band, ideal. I utilize an Apple Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme, and Airport Express currently in my house. I'd hard wire whatever is easiest first, then wireless whatever is too tricky.

My Apple Time capsule is on the first floor, its hard wired to the cable modem, serves first floor only (1400 sq/ft). The AirPort Extreme is in the basement (800 sq/ft). Airport Express on the second floor (450 sq/ft). Second Airport Express in the garage covering my backyard and the garage. So, the Time Capsule is the only one hard wired. The rest just grab its signal and magnify it. Works amazingly. I can run an iMac, MacBook, 2 iPads, Xbox, PS3, TV DVR, and multiple cell phones (during parties) all off of this network with no lag and great speeds. Apple products love other Apple products.

I know I am new here to the forum but I agree with Trevmerrill, using a switch and staying with a physical connection is always the best way to go. Next would be a dual band router like the AirPort Extreme or one of the new Netgear Wireless AC. Either one of them placed in a central location should get you what you need.

In my home all my media devices are hard wired including my amplifier, HTPC, Raspberry PI running Raspbmc etc.. It just works every time. I use wireless connectivity for phones, laptops, iPads and the like.

Good luck!

There are better routers that will do the same job, but from a cost perspective just add another Linksys WRT54G in the HT. $39 solution.

There is already CAT5 running behind the false wall in the HT. A wireless bridge is unnecessary.

The 4 port switch(one used as uplink) will give you a wired connection for both the Apple TV and the PS3 as well as a wifi hotspot in the room you want to use the Ipad.

To configure:

Match SSID, security, and authentication credentials.

Put the two routers on different wireless channels.

Disable DHCP and NAT on the second router.

Change the default IP to an unused IP on the same logical network.

Physically connect via the switchports and not the WAN(internet) port.

• Moderators

from a cost perspective just add another Linksys WRT54G in the HT. $39 solution.

Just bought one on Ebay for $21.85. Seems like the most viable solution for what I'm wanting to accomplish. I might be calling you when it's time to configure. [:D]

• Moderators

I just returned from a week long trip to North Carolina and the Linksys Router was waiting in my mailbox. With Wake's help, I quickly was up and running. Now I have FULL signal in the HT where before I had only 1 bar for Wi-Fi. [;)]

I'm really liking the Apple TV. I'm able to stream my music from my iPhone, iPad and even from my Computer's iTunes using the Home Sharing.

During my trip, I took a lot of photos and Video. It's sweet to be able to look at them now on a 103" screen. [:D]

I just downloaded the Apple TV App. Hoping I can use the keyboard on the iPhone and iPad to type on the Apple TV. It's a pain to do it using the Apple TV Remote.

had the same issue. I intially thought it was a bandwidth problem within my network....so yes...tried the direct wiring...nd played with the routers. the soultion however has not within my network. I was paying for 15 down and 5 up and have been for 5 or so years. turns out for 10 bucks more I could get 50 down and 15 up. when I made the subscription change, apple TV wired fine even on wireless.

• Moderators

Mine is 10mb down, 1 up. After setting up the 2nd router in the HT, with a full wi-fi signal, everything streams great! Youtube videos, music, photos and video from my iPhone and iPad work great as well.