Audyssey Denon calibration. Old MCACC EQ thread

dimanata2007

now I feel that something wrong with my setting...

last time I ran MCACC it set my fronts at -2 and -1. center at -2, surround at 0 and -1 and sub at -5/-4. I set sub to -2.

but after you said thet your speakers set at -9 -8 I think that my setting is off...

Your system is fine if it sounds right. We have different speakers and different rooms. I also have my front and center speaker on 200/400 watt amps.

Reference head, I use all 3 presets at different times but, I think they all sound the same with movies and music in my room. Front align mostly for music since the mains are not EQ and the other speakers are EQ to the main speakers. But, for me it sound like Symmetry and All Chan Adj.

I do use one preset for TV which has the sub level cut by 6 db.

I have only ran it with symmetry and that seems to sound really good. I have 4 mac memory set ups atm that i use. (moviex2/sacd/cd)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I double checked specs for my Pioneer and unfortunately I have only one memory setting for MCACC.

I also looked up few new models and looks like Pioneer dropped “mid-level” receivers:

they got VSX-523 for $250 which is pushing out only 80 watt per channel and missing some features and specs are worse than on my 110w per channel rated VSX-819. Than 823 which is $399 and very close to 819 but $100 more, missing 2-nd zone and few more pre outs or inputs and rated at 80 watt per channel too. Next step is 1023 for $499 which is sure better than 819 but $200 more.

No more “value” models?

mine has 6 mac memory settings

Its nice to be able to set up different set ups for different things. Imo the auto eq sounds great for ht but not that great for music. So its nice to be able to flip from one to another. I have no doubt that audysseys top line is better than mac but from the lower level lines i have used i will take this mac over them.

I also looked up few new models and looks like Pioneer dropped
“mid-level” receivers:

they got VSX-523 for $250 which is pushing out only 80 watt
per channel and missing some features and specs are worse than on my 110w per
channel rated VSX-819. Than 823 which is
$399 and very close to 819 but $100 more, missing 2-nd zone and few more pre outs or inputs
and rated at 80 watt per channel too. Next
step is 1023 for $499 which is sure better than 819 but $200 more.

No more “value” models?

Now you are heading into dangerous territory, upgraditis, It has been know to devour walletes and bank account in the snap of an eye, lol.[;)]

[:D] yeah, I know.

I was thinking about few more things like new BD (my samsung don't wanna play some new BD-movies and there is no soft upgrade on my model) so I was looking at Pioneer BDP-150. I also want bigger TV -60" LED should look good in my TV room [:P] but unfortunately my bank account ain't fat at all and there are more important things that need to be taken care of before new TV or receiver, so my little mismatched "value" HT should work for now. new center channel and sub made a huge difference and I'm very happy with how my HT sounds now.

Samsung BD D5500 and C5500 on the Samsungs. The C version is not 3 D. The Pioneer may be slightly older than 2 Years. They are all in great cosmetic and mechanical shap. All three have excellent picture and audio quality. The Pioneer BDP has the PQLS function and you can hear a slightly better sound with stereo music since it works with Pioneer avr's to reduce jitter in the HDMI signal. I would not be able to tell the difference if I could not do a side by side comparison.

I am throwing in a flash drive and HDMI cable for the buyer so they can acess all the features. The Pioneer for $125 and the D 5500 for $100 and the C 5500 for $60. Shipping is cheap for these since they are not real heavy and relatively compact.

I think I would pass. I would prefer to pay more but get new model. most likely I'm going to get something pretty cheap but as new as possible. I might be wrong but I prefer to buy some things (like electronics) new. like I stated above, my samsung only 2 years old and it already need soft update to play some movies. it works fine and plays most of the movies, but I'm getting "need to be updated" error message on some of them.

like I stated above, my samsung only 2 years old and it already need soft update to play some movies. it works fine and plays most of the movies, but I'm getting "need to be updated" error message on some of them.

Is it plugged into your modem? Probably just needs the latest firmware update. Download to a thumb drive and install that way if you can't connect to a router.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/BD-C6500/XAA

I've tried to update my BD some time ago but my soft
was “up to date”. Downloaded another
version yesterday (thanks to Tasdom for reminding me about it) and installed
new soft.

Update progress bar stopped at 81% and didn’t move for 20
min… couldn’t cancel it or turn it off, so I pulled power plug out… according
to the update instructions it should’ve crashed existing soft so I was ready to buy
new Pioneer BD off ebay, but decided to try one more time.

To my surprise BD
powered on and reacted to every command normally. Second try was successful. Just
to be on the safe side I’ve downloaded same soft again and used different flash drive.

Will see if it gonna read all B-ray's now, but everything works fine for now.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys haven't been on here in a few days. Diminata nice to see your getting your system ironed out. Thanks for the link Swapface....Looks like that might do of some help. I checked my setting again and it's ....0 fronts...+8 sides.....+12 rears in my main EQ. All my channels are at +12 except for the sub which as I said changes with each movie or album....These high settings keep the white noise down when playing at loud volumes....which is often. I found that on my receiver if I kept the EQ levels at MCACC recommended settings I would get a lot more white noise in the background. With these high settings at least for me, I get a much darker/quieter background at reference levels. I never see higher than -15 on my volume, EVER!! Which honestly at that level I need my fingers in my ears. And yet no distortion coming out of the Forte 2's at a volume you should not subject yourself to without protection in my room..........I only occasionally enjoy those volumes when I'm showing my system to unsuspecting friends and family. I enjoy watching the huge smiles on their faces with their fingers in their ears. Don't we all..[8-|]

+12 wow all my speakers are around -7 or 8 besides my subs thats at around -2. And the highest i go is around -8 on the volume. With that i get around 90-95db when its just talking and up to around 120db in the really insane loud parts of some movies. Most of the peaks are in the 110-115db range.

My setting are similar you yours reference_head, -9, -9.5 for the fronts and -8 for the center, -4.5 and -3 for the FW and sub at -6.5. I use to have the sub closer to 0 but using a proamp and slight difference in the voltage setup, I use the -6.5 to avoid sending a clipped signal to the sub. I have a room where the bass energy rises and use the SC -09 manual to help find tune the system. It is a special MCACC manual that tells you how to use the different reverb functions and time domains under manual MCACC.http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Home/SC-05_OperatingInstructions0708.pdf

OK you guy's are freaking me out.......So I put all my channels to 0. I ll do some testing tomorrow to see if it sounds any better at volume. And run the MCACC.....Again...and I'll use the link that Swapface gave me and the PDF you just sent me Derrick Thank You......

Full MCACC will reset the channel levels: the only thing is will not reset all the time is THX subwoofer settings, XO and the X curve. A total system reset will put everything back to factory default. To reset the avr, turn if off, then turn it back on while holding the reset button on the front panel of the avr. It will be interesting to see if you get similar settings.

• 3 weeks later...

Well after days and days of tuning......I found out I was running my sub on about 250% of what was actually required. My main EQ trim levels now after the MCACC re-run for all speakers varies from +2 to 0. I previously had them running: Fronts at 0, sides at +10 and rears at +12 with full +12db channel levels. The MCACC has set my Front channel level to -9 but I still have my surrounds quite high at +1.5 for sides and rears at +4.. Just my preference for a lot of surround activity I guess......My sub integration is the biggest difference so far with a much smoother and more impactful response. I was running with volume at around 75% about 2 O'Clock with around +4 to +12 channel levels. When I was running the calibration it kept telling me to turn my sub volume down again and again....Now the knob is at 10 O'Clock not even half throttle which is still buggin me, but thats the only way The MCACC would allow me to continue the testing.....That was max volume it would allow for calibration, which I'm still questioning.......But it sounds good, and the new EQ settings have given me a better starting point for tweaking. I didn't realize it before but i was running everything below 1000hz too low in my EQ which was totally flat before.....and it was giving me a kind of thin sound....Now it's a lot more meaty in the mid-lower regions and a much smoother thundering bottom end........THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS..........[}]......Here's a visual Thank U.

post-49138-13819859436306_thumb.jpg

I have had four or five different subs in my setup and the gain is usually around 9-11 O'clock. The dynamic range will still be there. When the subwoofer gain is to high the avr will send a weaker signal to the sub. So, there is not benefit of setting the gain real high. A sub will have a max spl due to design, drivers, amp and some other factors. Your channel levels may have been high to compensate for the loud sub. The same is true for the avr, it will produce a max spl and upping the channel levels mean you will reach the max sooner. I don't pay much attention to the sub or avr gain.

You mention EQ levels and not channel levels, are you refering to the channel levels? Which avr do you have? My EQ levels also go to 12 as does the channel levels.

My main EQ trim levels now after the MCACC re-run for all speakers varies from +2 to 0. I previously had them running: Fronts at 0, sides at +10 and rears at +12 with full +12db channel levels. The MCACC has set my Front channel level to -9 but I still have my surrounds quite high at +1.5 for sides and rears at +4.

My sub does sound great. I just thought that was a little to low on the volume. Thanks for the reassurance of the correct settings, I'm still tweaking. I don't think this will ever end. My AVR is a VSX-32 small potatoes to yours, but they just have a MILLION different ways to set them up. Thats actually probably a low number considering there is 24 different settings for each band of the nine band EQ for each speaker. And then all the different room correction filter slopes possible. Then you have the THX this and Dolby surround that, PCM and the thirty other variables of the variables after you setup your EQ. Then you can choose Panorama, DCR, Height, Dialog options, DNR,S.RTRV, Delay, S-Curves etc........ It's really wayyyyy to much.........I just want a Pre with codec deciphering an amp or two....... or three.. and an EQ. I would be fine with just the EQ section of the AVR's and the room correction and delay settings but everything else is just clutter to me.......I mean their are sooooooooo many options it drives me NUTS.....