Audyssey Denon calibration. Old MCACC EQ thread

dimanata2007

I have a question about Pioneer MCACC calibration.

First of all my MCACC sets different settings for my speakers every time I run it. difference within +/-1 for the speakers and +/-2 for the sub...

Is it normal?

Second,
if I would run calibration, let it finish and set all parameters and than would set exact the same parameters for all speakers and the sub in manual mode "EQ off" mode, does it mean that I would
get exact the same sound in "EQ on" and "EQ off"? I have only one preset
"EQ" and can choose between "EQ/MCACC on" and "off" only.

Third, does MCACC sets anything besides distance, channel level and speaker size?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question about Pioneer MCACC calibration.

First of all my MCACC sets different settings for my speakers every time I run it. difference within +/-1 for the speakers and +/-2 for the sub...

Is it normal?

Yes, this can be normal and is due to slight difference in microphone placement and ambient noise in and outside of the house. It should be close enough that the SQ is relatively the same

Second,
if I would run calibration, let it finish and set all parameters and than would set exact the same parameters for all speakers and the sub in manual mode "EQ off" mode, does it mean that I would
get exact the same sound in "EQ on" and "EQ off"? I have only one preset
"EQ" and can choose between "EQ/MCACC on" and "off" only.

I am not compeletly sure I understand the question. Why would you plug in the exact parameters in manual MCACC. If you want to adjust things after running auto MCACC, which has preset 1.) Symmetry, 2.) ALL CH adjust, and 3.) Front Align, use one of the empty presets, like 4,5, and 6. The empty preset will not have MCACC EQ.

Third, does MCACC sets anything besides distance, channel level and speaker size?

Yes, MCACC is time aligning everything, EQ, standing wave correction and some other things. Due to it's proprietary nautre, Pioneer does not list eveything that MCACC is doing. This is why so many people errously say MCACC does not EQ the sub. It does but, not below 63 Hz. If you want to hear your speakers without EQ, use direct or pure direct and don't use the other preset as an additional option. Rarely do I use direct and never use pure direct. The bass is just not good with pure direct for me. A lot of people like that feature.

cool. thanks. I got only one EQ preset and only option I have is to turn it "ON" (EQ ON) or "off" (EQ OFF)". now I understand why sound in EQ ON and EQ off mode is not the same even with identical setting.I modified SUB setting and turned SUB channel level to -2 vs -4 set by MCACC, because bass was too weak for my ears.

"Yes, MCACC is time aligning everything, EQ, standing wave correction and some other things"

is it why MCACC sets my left front to -3 and right front to -2 even though my right front positioned closer to the mic than left front?

I for one... have been unimpressed by MCACC of my SC35. it could be microphone related, but in the 10-15 times I have run the set up, I have NEVER even come close to final settings... I am always having to tweak the EQ post running of MCACC. at least it gets me in the ball park though.

do you have to adjust speakers setting or just sub?

I'm ok with MCACC speaker setting- sound good to me, but in order to get more bass I have to play with channel level for sub- for some reason MCACC sets it too low and I've seen a lot pioneer and elite related posts about it on different forums. I also read about same issue with Yamaha and even Denon.

is it why MCACC sets my left front to -3 and right front to -2 even though my right front positioned closer to the mic than left front?

Yes, Smmetry will set the speakers individually. Even though the front speakers may be at identical distance to the mic, each will have different room interaction. A lot of people like bumping up their subwoofer or surround volume. For me, Symmetry, All Chan Adjust, and Front Align pretty much all sound the same. I find my system sounds best if I do not stray to far from the MCACC settings. Altering channel levels to much will change the time alignment and may introduce phase issues.

For my system MCACC has pretty much did a great job with everything that I have thrown at it. I have used non-identical sub, mixed I Con V speakers with Reference, flip the room around 90 degrees, hooked up 3 external amps at the same time and MCACC has alway got the SQ right. Since I started my Klipsch system I have changed speakers, BDP, subwoofers multiple times, and amplifiers. The only thing that I have never considerd selling or upgrading is the Pioneer avr. I enjoy buliding the system around the SC 35

I have a friend who got much more experience and more expensive
equipment and according to him it sounds pretty incredible. I bought bigger center channel and new 12” sub recently and have
absolutely no issues with monologs, low or mid bass or surround effects now.

Foolishly
I sold mint SS.5 which I could’ve used for 7.1 set up tough, but my room is
pretty small (13x16') and both sofas positioned next to the back wall so most likely rear SRS channels wouldn't add much effect since side channels located almost across each other and very close to the back wall.

I just need two good recliners…

:)

My auto MCACC EQ settings are terrible in my system/room. For some reason after a few months I run it again because I'm curious, and it has never come out sounding good...... I have spent hours and hours filling all 6 of my EQ channels with all manner of different settings. And after all that fiddling I found the best sound with a....totally flat EQ.... with channel levels set to +6db fronts and +12 for all surrounds.........I change my sub levels with each album or movie I play......I literally change my sub channel level every 5 to 10 minutes.....For "War Volume" I just set my X-Curve to -2.

My auto MCACC EQ settings are terrible in my system/room. For some reason after a few months I run it again because I'm curious, and it has never come out sounding good...... I have spent hours and hours filling all 6 of my EQ channels with all manner of different settings. And after all that fiddling I found the best sound with a....totally flat EQ.... with channel levels set to +6db fronts and +12 for all surrounds.........I change my sub levels with each album or movie I play......I literally change my sub channel level every 5 to 10 minutes.....For "War Volume" I just set my X-Curve to -2.

Wow thats not good [:(]

have spent hours and hours filling all 6 of my EQ channels with all manner of different settings. And after all that fiddling I found the best sound with a....totally flat EQ.... with channel levels set to +6db fronts and +12 for all surrounds.........I change my sub levels with each album or movie I play......I literally change my sub channel level every 5 to 10 minutes.....For "War Volume" I just set my X-Curve to -2.

It is very unusal to have that big of a problem. It would be interesting to know more about your room and speaker setup. I frequent the Pioneer MCACC forum on AVS and don't recall anyone having that big of a problem. There is enough of us Pioneer people on this forum to maybe started a dedicated thread for MCACC. You definetly should not be running Klipsch at + 12. My front speakers are at -9, center-8 because the Klisch are fairly easy to drive. Even my Icon V speakers were mostly in the negative numbers except for the surround.

now I feel that something wrong with my setting...

last time I ran MCACC it set my fronts at -2 and -1. center at -2, surround at 0 and -1 and sub at -5/-4. I set sub to -2.

but after you said thet your speakers set at -9 -8 I think that my setting is off...

what is better when channel level set around 0 or as low as possible? why?

now I feel that something wrong with my setting...

last time I ran MCACC it set my fronts at -2 and -1. center at -2, surround at 0 and -1 and sub at -5/-4. I set sub to -2.

but after you said thet your speakers set at -9 -8 I think that my setting is off...

Your system is fine if it sounds right. We have different speakers and different rooms. I also have my front and center speaker on 200/400 watt amps.

Reference head, I use all 3 presets at different times but, I think they all sound the same with movies and music in my room. Front align mostly for music since the mains are not EQ and the other speakers are EQ to the main speakers. But, for me it sound like Symmetry and All Chan Adj.

I do use one preset for TV which has the sub level cut by 6 db.

I double checked specs for my Pioneer and unfortunately I
have only one memory setting for MCACC.

I also looked up few new models and looks like Pioneer dropped
“mid-level” receivers:

they got VSX-523 for $250 which is pushing out only 80 watt
per channel and missing some features and specs are worse than on my 110w per
channel rated VSX-819. Than 823 which is
$399 and very close to 819 but $100 more, missing 2-nd zone and few more pre outs or inputs
and rated at 80 watt per channel too. Next
step is 1023 for $499 which is sure better than 819 but $200 more.

No more “value” models?

Look into a Pioneer SC-1222-K It's an 1100.00 MSRP AVR with D3 (Ice) amps. I was in Costco Saturday and they had them for 469.00 I believe (not positive) it's the same as the SC61 without the Elite label

A few here have them and may chime in....