Is the visual and audio quality of streaming as high as that of Blu-ray?

garyrc

We're looking for some advice. Obviously, we haven't kept up. We are just getting ready to set up for streaming.

• Is the visual and 5.1 audio quality as high as that of Blu-ray?
  • I think we are going to connect our Oppo player directly to the ethernet. We want to go through the player because both our projector and our AV preamp/processor draw from the Oppo player via separate HDMI cables. The dealer advised taking the video from the Oppo's video preferred HDMI output, rather than going through the pre/pro's circuitry as well. Do any of you connect this way? What connection scheme provides the best audio and video quality?

Thanks!

I have the Oppo 93 as well a front projector. Blu-ray is of better quality than streaming. I usually stream through the Oppo, movies from Vudu. They do stream movies at 1080p but the sound they have is at best Dolby digital +. It still looks and sounds great. But a blu-ray disc still beats it out. For ease of use I run the Hdmi cables into the pre/pro and a single run to the projector.

I have the BDP-93 as well. Your dealer gave you bad advice, IMO. You need to provide the pre-pro with HDMI 1.4a to get the most out of your sound. The HDMI out to the monitor is probably a pass through for video, so no processing is done. The DAC in your receiver needs to be doing the seperation rather than the BDP-93. If you had a BDP-95, you would connect the RCA outputs to your preamp in. If you insist on directly connecting your monitor to your Oppo, then use one of the digital outputs SP/DIF Toslink, to let your preamp dac get the signal. The bandwidth of these fiber connections does not provide many of the newer surround signals.

Oppo->preamp via HDMI, then preamp->monitor via HDMI. My humble opinion...

I go:

Video = 105 HDMI 1 Output > TV

Audio = 105 M.Ch. Analog > Amp

If you're going to use HDMI for audio, send the 105 back and get the 103. You'll save Cha-Ching.

He is using the BDP-93 like me, and as such has a weak DAC. If he were using a BDP-95 or BDP-105, as you said, analog is the way to go with the sound.