Crossover replacement

AKBman

I am looking into replacing the Type AL crossovers in my La Scala speakers, I have owned them since '89, and have never replaced anything on them. I really don't want to have to spend the $$ to replace a tweeter as well, so I have been leaning towards the Crites Type AL-3 crossover, which wouldn't really improve the factory sound, but it would refresh it. I have looked at the ALK crossovers, and they are impressive, but I do not wish to replace the K77 at this time, nor do I have the means to drop more than $350-$400. Just looking for general opinions.

Personally, I'd put replacing the tweeters low on my list of things to change... if at all unless they are damaged. A rebuild kit from Crites is a definite improvement from old worn out caps. I wonder how bad caps are going to be from 1989? I guess it just doesn't seem like that long ago to me [8-)]

If you are looking for an upgrade I'd be looking here at different methods to reinforce the bass bins, wood replacement horns like the fastracs from Gothover, and upgraded crossovers with the capability to attenuate the squawker such as from AlethiaAudio and ALK. Careful! Once you start to upgrade you might find yourself looking for ways to increase your budget more and more!

I thought about just refreshing the Caps, but after research, I think the Type AL-3 Crossover is where I want to go. I have loved these speakers from the day I bought them. I love the way they sound, and the fact that it takes very little power to get big sound. I want to save my money and invest in a tube amp to drive them. I'm not big on the booming bass, I like to hear it, but I am into nice clean natural sound, which is what these speakers have always delivered, they are the only pair I have held on to all these years.

I would agree with muel, no need for a tweeter replacement. I have 1990 Lascala's with AL3 crossovers and have replaces the squacker horn with the fastrac wood horn and reinforced the bass bins. I just auditioned AlethiaAudio's SuperAA, they made the single greatest improvement for my LaScala's. I recommend you get on the Super AA Roadshow list and hear for yourself. They are in your $ ballpark.

Tom

Wow, thanks TK, I think we may have a winner! So now, it is new improved crossovers, a tube amp, and an improved mid range, say a Fastrac LaScala, this is going to take me a little while, and I will be looking into the bass bin beefup. Muel, the Caps from 89 are still working, just seems to take more juice to get sound from the speakers, one is far worse than the other. I bought these speakers when I was stationed at RAF Bentwaters in the UK, had them in a 12x12 dorm room, for a while I had the La Scalas, and a set of Cerwin Vega CD-90s, the Cerwin Vegas were too much bass for me. I ran everything back then with a Yamaha C-65/M-65 preamp/amp setup, now I am using a Sony surround sound system in 2ch mode.

"I have looked at the ALK crossovers, and they are impressive, but I do not wish to replace the K77 at this time, nor do I have the means to drop more than $350-$400."

Get on the "Crossover Roadshow" I'm doing right now. You'll be put on the list to try a set of crossovers that are selling for exactly $350.00 -- all you have to do is pay for the shipping. You can listen and make up your own mind. There is no obligation to post anything on the forum about your impressions. There's no gag order either, so if you think they sound like crap, you're free to say so.

I shouldn't of referred to it as "entry level", since I'm building it with some pretty good parts -- it's just entry level in the context of things I build.

Get on the "Crossover Roadshow" I'm doing right now. You'll be put on the list to try a set of crossovers that are selling for exactly $350.00

Speaking of which, send me an address for who is next on the list.

Bruce

That is a list I need to be on, even though I am 95% certain that as soon as the bank account allows it, I am going to take the plunge. I ran new speaker wire today, and it eliminated 90% of my issues, so I'm guessing my caps aren't as dry as I first thought, not bad for speakers that have been on 2 continents over the past 24 years. I am impressed with your work, as well as Bob's, the ALK is probably overkill for me. I want to enjoy these speakers for at least another 24 years.

Dave

Polyester or polypropylene capacitors don't "dry out" like electrolytics do, but the dielectric begins to break down over time. If you don't mind me asking, what about the ALK is "overkill" to you - the price, the circuit? If the latter, it actually isn't any more complex than the Type AL (though it is certainly different). So, were your wires green and nasty, because if they were, that would explain why changing the wires made such a difference. The Monster cabling your AL crossovers are strung together with is probably in pretty bad shape too.

One of the problems with this hobby (like many hobbies), is that often our only real baseline is what we own. Now, unless there is something wrong with it, or it is of poor or questionable quality, we're going to be happy with it and report good to excellent performance. In the case of crossovers, reports usually aren't based on comparisons between a wide range of products, which just isn't practical -- which is one of the reasons I decided to do The Roadshow. The other was to have people, who listen with different crossovers help me decide if an economy version of a crossover I used to build and sell for around $700.00 -- could favorably compete if I built it for half the money. I've learned a lot from this group, and I think they learned a few things about their systems too, which is pretty cool.

Truthfully though, you shouldn't be impressed with anyone's work until you get a chance to evaluate it first-hand. You may also learn, as I did, that you actually like more than one thing. Well, I typed all of this out on my iPad, which means I probably lost the formatting -- sorry.

Dave, would you be open to the idea of allowing Tom (if he's open to the idea) to send you his recapped AL-3's so you can experience that without spending any money (I would reimburse Tom for the shipping). At some point, the Roadshow crossovers would show up and you would be able to make a more of an apples to apples comparison. I don't care if you buy from me or not, trust me, I'm not getting rich doing this -- it's mostly for your education and bragging rights. Okay, it's about bragging rights. [:P]

When I admire the work, it is from an electronics standpoint, as I obviously have nothing to base my opinion on otherwise. When I speak of overkill, I mean that for my listening tastes, or rather my abilities, which have been diminshed by 20+ years of Fighter Jet engine noise, that I would be unlikely to appreciate the more subtle changes in sound brought about by some of the components ALK is producing, not meant to reflect poorly on his work at all. I wasn't sure exactly what kind of Caps Klipsch used in the late 80s, and not doing a whole bunch of work at that component level, I wasn't sure. The wires on the crossover, and to the drivers, is in surprisingly good shape, hardy any corrosion, I think due to the fact that I have spent the majority of the last 19 years in dry climates. I actually replaced the wires to the speakers from the receiver, the cheap wiring I was using had high impedance, and was only 18 guage I believe, I replaced it with Monster wire of 14 guage, and now I can get clear sound from both speakers at minimal volume level, the crackling and cutting in and out is gone, I do still have a fair amount of white noise, and I'm not cetain if improved crossovers will mitigate some of that. I really do want to upgrade my components, and may do more upgrades to the speakers themselves in the future, although as I have said, I have loved the sound of these speakers from day 1. I do know that I am in need of some carpet squares to put under the speakers to isolate them from the new tile we have in our house now, at higher volume levels, I am getting some buzz from vibration, the ratty leftover carpet I used to eliminate it can't stay, wife won't have it, so I am thinking some sort of nice carpet, or maybe some sort of rubber isolators on the "feet" will be the ticket. I can't tell you guys how happy I am to have found this community in the course of looking for info on my speakers.

Dave

I'm almost always open to a bit of experimenting! The AL-3s are rumored to be much better than the older AL type that are in my speakers now. Initially, my idea was just to buy a set of AL-3s from Bob, but after reading feedback on your setup, and it actually coming in a little less expensive, I started leaning towards your Super AA setup.

Dave

I think it's important that you get to hear both, don't cheat yourself out of a chance to hear more than one thing - you may very well like the AL-3 better, but you won't know unless you spend some time with it.

Nothing to disagree with there! I have been looking at the drawings for the AL vs AL-3, the AL-3 is an improvement for sure in efficiency, in radar, I am used to RF bandpass filters, this stuff is intriguing, wish I had looked into it sooner.

Dave, I'd be happy to send the AL3's for you to try . I installed a Crites refresher kit in them with the sonicaps about 3 year ago. Like Dean said, this will give you another piece to the puzzle in finding what sound best in YOUR system. I think you may find that there is more than just a subtle difference.

Tom

AKBman, I'm not sure why you're so opposed to replacing the K-77 tweeters. I replaced mine a few months after I got my La Scalas, and I wouldn't go back to the K-77s. Bob Crites's CT125s sound much better and can do a good job of reproducing high notes that K-77s won't even play. The CT125s aren't that expensive, either.

BTW, who's your favourite member of AKB48? I assume that's what the AKB refers to.