Which Models Will Be Optimal In My Listening Room?

tlarwa

I recently (several months ago) picked up my first pair of Klipsch floorstanders (KG4.2) and am enamored with them, especially after upgrading to Crites diaphragms. So naturally, I'm already looking ahead to an upgrade. I'm currently running the 4.2s along with a matching SW10 sub (all in oiled Oak) and though some people don't care for the sub, I'm pretty happy with the sound (although the 4.2s sound good sans the sub too, depending on what I'm listening to). My system particulars are as follows;

Amp: Fisher 400 rebuilt by Paul G. with the Bizzy Bee upgrade

Turntable: Empire 398 w/ Shure V15vXMR cartridge, Thorens 280 Mk2 w/ Denon 101

Preamp (phono): Park Audio Budgie tube pre (Empire) and using the Fisher 400 phono stage with the Thorens

I have a purpose-built listening room, used for vinyl only. It's 12' x 19' with ~8' ceilings. The equipment is along one of the short walls, and I can get the speakers about 10' apart. I do have 90 degree corners avaialble along that wall. The listening position is approximately 8' back into the room (roughly an equilateral triangle now between the speakers and my listening sweet spot). The room is treated with sound panels at the first reflection points, behind the equipment and above the sweet spot. The back wall is relatively untreated (live end/dead end). The floor is pad/carpet over concrete.

So, my question. Which models would work well in my space? I'm particularly fond of the Heritage line-up, even if I may not be able to afford all models right this minute. But I'm in no hurry, so I can afford to be patient and wait for a good deal. I'd like to learn about what I could expect to hear differently between the "big" models (Klipshorn, Lascala, Belle) especially between the corner horn and standard shape models. I'd also consider Forte II or Chorus II. I'm actually thinking about picking up a pair of Heresy's if I can score a good deal as what I think might be an upgrade over the KG4.2's (running them with the sub).

I'm kind of thinking out loud and am trynig to solicit opinion. It's virtually impossible to listen to these models in my actual space,and I'd like to make as informed a decision as possible. For example, at a basic level, whcih models might be to "big" for my space ... not physically, but in terms of the space they need to sound optimal. Or is that not even a concern? I appreciate any and all input. And I'll continue to read as much as I can in the meantime!

Thanks,

Tom

Immediate? Probably $500 or so. Heresy, Forte II, Quartet or maybe Chorus is I scored a great deal. I've always had my eye on the Cornwalls, but they rarely come up for less than $800 (more with upgrades). As I said, even though I may upgrade now (to Heresys, most likely, due to affordability and availability) I definitely want to keep my eyes open for the more expensive models. If the "right" set comes up I'd try to make it happen. The question is, what's the "right" speakers for this room, having not heard many of them myself and not being able to audition them (most likely). By the way, I listen to a lot of jazz .... Brubeck, Woods, Davis to Return To Forever, Pat Metheny, Brand X, etc. as well as classic rock and pop. Not a lot of classical, just a smattering here and there.

If you hold out, you can probably find Cornwalls for $500. I've owned about 6 or 7 pairs over the years and at least 4 were $500 or less. Fortes or Chorus would work well in your room also. I love Heresys but they just don't compare to their big brother. Also, Cornwalls are perfect for the type of music you like. Where are you located?

I'm in SE Wisconsin. I see you're in MD ... I lived in Columbia for 13 years, leaving the state in 1995. I enjoyed it there! I have yet to see Cornwalls anywhere near $500 around here. They are typically $800+. Heresy's are going for $400-$500. I realize the corner horns and Lascalas and Belles are quite a bit more expensive, but how do you think they would integrate into my room? For future reference ... you never know what you might fall into!

My very first encounter with any type of horn speaker was a set of La Scalas driven by a Marantz 8B. I immediately fell in love with them......and would have purchase those, but instead I was offered a pair of Khorns - which I have just brought back to life.

Now a few years ago I listened to those La Scalas again - by then with ALK Universal network - great stuff.

Heresy? I used to have a Heresy I as well - a nice speaker, but I suggest you rather wait. Having listened to all three models I believe the Heresy wouldn't satisfy you in the end. And as you seem to have two corners.....[;)].

For me the basic difference between Khorns and the La Scala is the bass. With the latter I'd probably add a sub - with properly set up Khorns I find that no longer necessary (as described in my own thread).

Cornwalls I have never listened to - they are supposedly really great - but the character of the bass should be different due to their construction and the shorter mid horn should make a difference as well.....I guess.

BTW: Nice vinyl stuff you've got there.

Wolfram

Thanks, Wolfram. From other responses it sounds like the Heresy's would be an upgrade over the KG4.2's, so if I can find a deal on a pair I might try them. I know I can resell them and recoup my $$ when I find the next upgrade, so there's no risk there. As for the Khorns, they do come up fairly often (several sets now in the WI/IL areas on CL) but they typically push the $2000-$3000 envelope. I rarely see Belle's or Lascalas though. In fact, the gentleman I bouoght the Fisher 400 and Empire table from tried to sell me his Khorns for $2000, but I just couldn't swing it at the time.

I take it the room size is adequate for those big speakers then??

If you want to have the best speakers and spend the least money, don't get on the step-by-step upgrade path. Save your money and just buy the Khorns or La Scalas you want when you can afford them.

It's way cheaper in the long run, and you'll get what you really want much sooner. Keep saving and watching the listings, and when you see what you want, you'll be able to act immediately, with cash in hand.

And yes, your room is big enough. It sounds like you already have a good starting point for your speakers and listening position. For measuring purposes, the centre of the fronts of the speakers is the most accurate point to measure from, since it ignores the width of the speakers.

There are a lot of folks on here, me included, who think you don't necessarily need a sub with LaScalas. And they would fit in your room, although the KHorns would take up less room.

Where in SE Wisc. are you? I used to live just outside of Waterloo, and I know there are others in the Badger state with Klipsch. I believe in Madison and Columbus, as well as closer to Milwaukee and Racine. Perhaps you can hear some other models before you drop any money.

Bruce

If you want to have the best speakers and spend the least money, don't get on the step-by-step upgrade path. Save your money and just buy the Khorns or La Scalas you want when you can afford them.

It's way cheaper in the long run, and you'll get what you really want much sooner. Keep saving and watching the listings, and when you see what you want, you'll be able to act immediately, with cash in hand.

This is the most economical way but, the upgrade path is not without it's rewards. On the journey, in the begining I did not know what I wanted other than a good sound system. I have enjoyed learning things on the journey on what I feel is the best system for me at the moment. Just like avr's, amps and speakers you have to try out several to get a good perspective on what fits in your room, the style and over system signature that will make you happy. The journey can be a blast! Just like climbing a moutain, getting to the top is the goal but, you will cherish the journey.