Does 2 channel exist...extension

Mallette

Got a couple of PMs about this as that thread delved into the auld digital vs. analog and how many channels is enough areas.

This link is to a blog post I posted today at the request of a friend who is CTO of a PBS/NPR operation in New York state. While my opinions on those matters are here, the main point is the "Clair de Lune" recording I posted for download a few years ago as a "mystery file" to be compared against a $tereophile recording by John Adkinson. Many felt it "vinyl good" and whether you find that or not it's definitely pure, mixerless, unprocessed 2 channel stereo.

Comments welcome...

Dave

Great paper! Thanks for pointing to it again. I am going to look for the "Clair de Lune" recording. The Klipsch Tapes Vol II was also an interesting venture into minimalist processing.

BTW Please ask your PBS/NPR friend if I could contact him. WNED Buffalo broadcasts symphony performances from the Amphitheater at the Chautauqua Institution and I would love to get some high resolution recordings of them. The Amp is a fully covered open air venue that seats about five thousand and I would love to hear how it sounds recorded.

The recording is available for download on the blog, or you can just click on it and it will play in the browser.

Kent is CTO of the Rochester PBS/NPR operation. High school friend. I didn't know about what he did or that he was an audiophile until he baited me. My old Texarkana friends are really excellent, but they're more into guns, motorcycles, cars, and picking at the same girls they picked at in HS than audio gear. That's why I was a bit suprised to see a thread in our private "Good Ol Boys" area that said "For you audiophiles out there..." with a link to a beautiful EL84 based home built amp. So we got to chatting and he wanted to hear the Debussy, so I wrote it up on my blog.

Dave

Dave, I just listened to this again. Really stunning and realistic.

I've got an interview with Rupert Neve (3 parts, 12 pages total) that I would like to send you. I think you would find it emmensely interesting. The fact that this amazing engineer and designer lives in Wimberly, TX seems a bit crazy, but that's another story. If the link to email through the browser works, I'll send them to you.

Bruce