Finishing a pair of Cornscalas

Shakeydeal

Hello All,

I will be picking up a pair of unfinished Cornscalas in a couple of weeks. I am on the fence regardeing veneer or stain. I picked out a stain I really like and did a test run and it came out pretty good. What are most people here doing? Veneering or staining?

Thanks,

Shakey

Thanks for the reply. I feel pretty good about staining, but I wanted to do the front baffle in a mat black. I am going to get an estimate from a local custom wood worker today on what he would charge to do the whole thing for me. If it's not terribly expensive I may hire this one out. I don't want to half *** it.

Shakey

Thanks for the reply. I feel pretty good about staining, but I wanted to do the front baffle in a mat black. I am going to get an estimate from a local custom wood worker today on what he would charge to do the whole thing for me. If it's not terribly expensive I may hire this one out. I don't want to half *** it.

Shakey

My recommendation is to hold off on any refinishing, until you decide that they are the "Horn for You"......I first had a pair of Klispch Belles, and while excellent, I still lusted after Khorns.....I did get Khorns about 4 years later. But, of course, I had to completely re-design my basement, so that I had proper corners.

What are most people here doing? Veneering or staining?

Those are dramtically different operations, right? Veneering is a pretty involved piece of woodworking I think?

Marshall (Groomlakearea51) had a very detailed "how to" on veneering a few years ago. It should have been stickied.

EDIT to correct spellng on Marshalls username

Marshall (Groomslakearea51) had a very detailed "how to" on veneering a few years ago. It should have been stickied.

I'll try to find it. I have some interest myself. I've been watching some U-tube vids on the subject. I am only interested though if no big tools are needed. I saw a guy using an iron and a pair of scissors. Now, that looked good!

The Heresy's he restored in that particular thread are at my house. They're absolutely beautiful.