In search of a preamp......suggestions?

Kris K

I like my Rowland Consonance preamp. It doesn't seem to intrude on the music that it processes. Plus I like the control it gives me. Full microprocessor controlled with each input (6, including a Phono) having it's own level setting. Can be had on Audiogon for ~$1200.

Kriss;I did not found the BP25/4BST to sound dry and sterile.I have owned Audio Research SP8 and LS1 and have found them much more agressive and fatiging than the BP20.I have listened to a tubed Unison-Research,Mystery one preamp with the Bryston 4BST and it was an excellent match.

I have liked the pv10 as well.

BTW, I just noticed that Bruce Moore (the guy who desgined the Modulus preamp has a new unit on the market, The Companion IIC...if he did anything here to improve on the Modulus, watch out! it lists for $1,600...good luck, and stay with tubes for the Pre...tony

Thanks for all of your replies. Tubed preamp seems the only way to go. Yes there are great sounding SS preamps out there that do not sound electronic but they would cost much more than Im willing to pay.

When buying a used tubed preamp is there any way to tell the conditions of the tubes themselves such as age, use ? ( if they should be placed ). I never have owned any tubed gear would know the first thing about this.

Also, do each different manufacturer and their models of tubes have different sound qualities ? How do you know what to buy? Keep trying until you found what your happy with? A inexpensive tube(s) is alot easier to shelve than a costlier set. Is there any place to read up on tubes and their sound qualities?

Thanks, Kris

Tube Sounds

You will need to live on the search tool both here and at The Asylum

I kind of "settled" on the sound of a 6922 based preamp. It sounds very good in my system with the music I like, that, though I am tempted to change it out and try something different -- I don't feel completely driven and compelled to do so.

You many end up trying different units until you decide what you like. Probably not what you wanted to hear -- but that's just how it is.

I will say that since you are using KLF's, you might fair better staying with suggestions made my Mobile and others who use 'Heritage' based designs. There is no midrange horn in my RF7's -- and I suspect they are not as forward sounding as compared to KLF's or Heritage. Your system might see the biggest leap in performance my going with something a little warmer on the top.

------------------

Deanf>s>

Bi-amplified Klipsch RF7s using

a pair of AE-25 PP triode amps.

A SF-Line 1 loaded with 6922's

and a 9000ES finish the front.

The low bass is supplied by SVS

and Samson. The crossover is HSU.f>s>

Deang, Have you had any problems with your Sonic Frontiers Line 1 preamp? I went to Audiogon and a few reviewers said that they had problems because its processor failed and would not let the unit function at all. Some posts also said that this preamp tends to sound lean with the bass. Do you find this to be true? The Bryston brings plenty of welcomed bass to the KLF30's so this might be minimal.

How is the warranty and is it transferable if bought used? If I were to buy new, I would take a hour drive to Canada and save myself money. The U.S. dollar is worth more than the canadian dollar; and because this is made in Canada you do not pay taxes or duty......thanks to Nafta

Thanks, Kris

Mobile and friends, what brands (models) would you suggest and why? Trying to gather as many thoughts and oppinions from others to help me on this quest. I havent had the pleasure of auditioning alot of equipment, so Im asking my peers to help ( lend me your ears ),and what a better web site for such help.

Im willing to spend no more than $2500 new.

Hiya Kris,

From what you're saying I'd recommend you check out Conrad Johnson gear. The build quality is excellent, they're beautiful pieces and they have the sound you are looking for, full rich tube sound. I'm eager to check em out myself.

Good luck and keep us posted,

Jon

------------------

markvi82@hotmail.com

1981 Cornwall I's

Yamaha DSP-A1000 integrated amp

Acoustic Research AR3A's for Pro-Logic rears

(Music only setup)

Marantz CD Player

Pioneer turntable with Audio Technica cartridge

slp98.jpg

Cary Audio SLP-98Ls>

One is on Audiogon right now. This is a pretty musical preamp and one of the better models although the phono stage version is even more rare. It surely is a stunning looking unit. The model above is with the phono stage and optional gold plated front(which is reflecting a wood table). I actually think the black face unit with the chrome body is a bit more subtle, obviously and the one for sale IS just that.

The audiogon unit is the line stage version with oil filled coupling caps and remote control volume. This unit does not have tube rectification but I do believe it employs fast recovery SS rectification. Besides the nice to look at aspect, I think this is a good sounding unit and probably a bit more open sounding than that cheaper CJ options such as the PV10 which has a more caramel-like quality. There is a blurry pic with the ad. See text:

Outboard power supply. Line stage only. Factory upgraded with the oil filled coupling capacitors. Remote volume control. Less than 8 months on NOS RCA 6SN7GTB tubes. Very good condition with all the original packing materials and manual.

The price is around $1600 but perhaps you can talk him down. 8 months is not too old on a $3100 retail preamp. This should get you some tubes to look at while listening, always a plus! Hell, that's worth about $400 right there...heh.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?preatube&1031534595&class&3&4&

Another note: The ORIGINAL AE-1 preamp (the unit that came before the AE-3) is actually VERY similar to the SLP-98. In fact, I do believe that Cary took it off the market to not compete with the many times more expensive SLP-98. The AE-1 can be found used but is far more rare. I know think the stock AE-3 is probably in need of some upgrades to bring it to better sonics. I am not sure about recommending it now unless dirt cheap and you are able to do some mods.

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 07-13-2002 at 11:06 AM

Chris-

I might be interested in selling my Audio Research SP-8.

It is all tube not a hybrid. It is immaculate and I still have the box. It is the one component that I have held onto for by far the longest because it is so sexy and sweet sounding.

I need the cash to fund my lust for K-Horns or VOTT's

If you have any interst let me know at:

tess@massed.net

PS I'll be away from 7-22 to 8-6-02