Stereo: RF7 Classic or RF7 mk2

Boembaka

Hi all,

I'm looking for a new stereo system.

After listening to a couple of speaker brands, i liked Klipsch the most.

I auditioned to the RF7 MK2, listening Metallica - The Black Album.

In short: epic. You could feel the bass like you are in front of the stage at Rock Werchter.

I have never ever experienced something like this without the use of a subwoofer.

So my question is, whats the difference between the RF7 Classic and the RF7 mk2.

Note that the price of the Klipsch rf 7 classic here, for a new pair is 1600 euro.

Klipsch rf 7 mk2 is about 3000 euro,...

Are they worth double the price?

The RF 7 is the older version. It has a higher XO point. The newer version XO was lower to help tame brightness and harness. The sound that you will hear depends on your room and other gear with either speaker. I have the older version and have no complaints of harness or the speakers being bright. As you can see on this forum, many own the older version speaker and are completely happy with them. Some people have had a mod done to the xo to address the above problems. I have heard the new version and no real difference for me in my room.

I would contact Dean at Althea audio here on the forum . He would be the one that would know what can be done from a crossover standpoint to the originals. Bet you wouldn't have to pay the up charge for the 11 s. from what I have heard his crossovers for the original rf7 s are awesome

Josh

The point I was trying to make is that there are many owners of the RF 7 that have not done a mod and are happy with there speakers. The RF 7 is a bargin at 1/2 the price of the RF 7II. I have heard the 7 and 7II and would be happy with either speaker. There is someone else on the forum that also does mods for speaker but, I can't think of his name.

In answer to your question, the new ones are not twice as good as the older ones. As far as a mod goes, you can spend about $2.50 in parts and really tame the top end if you perceive an issue there. You'll most likely be happy with them as is however.

I agree i would buy the old ones if both are new and they cost half as much. Surprised you can still find them new.

Hi all,

I'm looking for a new stereo system.

After listening to a couple of speaker brands, i liked Klipsch the most.

I auditioned to the RF7 MK2, listening Metallica - The Black Album.

In short: epic. You could feel the bass like you are in front of the stage at Rock Werchter.

I have never ever experienced something like this without the use of a subwoofer.

So my question is, whats the difference between the RF7 Classic and the RF7 mk2.

Note that the price of the Klipsch rf 7 classic here, for a new pair is 1600 euro.

Klipsch rf 7 mk2 is about 3000 euro,...

Are they worth double the price?

Keep in mind you will need a matching center speaker. Do they have a new rc-7 also? And no not worth double the price. The new ones have upgrades but they aren't worth twice the cost imo.

Being the long time proud owner of the original RF-7s (I've had mine for over 10 years now), I will say for half the price, you will not go wrong with going with the originals. I've not had the chance to hear the II's, though, so I cannot comment directly on them, but seems everything I've been reading is that yes, they are an upgrade to the old ones, but not worth paying twice as much. I would love to get a chance to hear the RF-7 IIs next to the original RF-7s, though.

Are you able to listen to both of them side-by-side? If not, I'd say save the cash and get the originals.