Need some help - Discussion Forte II/Academy/RF-7/RC62

Hoenig

Not asking everyone to do my research for me....... but you all could possibly save me a lot of time.

I do not need new speakers. Just bored and an opportunity has presented itself. Met a guy this weekend who is selling his house and moving to a condo. He mentioned having some high end speakers and thought they were Klispch. I went to his house this weekend and found that he had the following:

Pair of Black Klipsch RF-7's , a black RC-62 center channel, and a KRK Rokit 10s subwoofer. I have some questions and looking for guidance.

My current setup is in my sig (just so you know what I already have). Questions I have:

How do the RF-7's compare to the Klispch Forte II's?

Is the RC-62 the correct center for the RF-7? I would imagine the RC-7 is best but anyone have experience that can add any knowledge?

Is the KRK sub worth even messing with?

This guy is open for an offer on everything or pieces singles out. I know that typically pricing is not something to discuss (often use PM for that), but I am just looking to hear what you all think is a fair price on these items and also what is a steal.........

Thanks in advance!

• Moderators

I do not need new speakers. Just bored and an opportunity has presented itself.

I believe we can all relate. [:D]

How do the RF-7's compare to the Klispch Forte II's?

I've owned both, both sound different and both would work great for 2ch or HT. I personally prefer the RF-7's over the Forte II's. The heritage guys will likely disagree. [:P]

Is the RC-62 the correct center for the RF-7? I would imagine the RC-7 is best but anyone have experience that can add any knowledge?

You are correct, the RC-62 is from a newer Reference Series. The correct center for the RF-7 is the RC-7. Truly a fantastic speaker but the RC-62 is an excellent speaker and will be fine to use with the RC-7 until you can find the matching RC-7 down the road.

Is the KRK sub worth even messing with?

Not familiar with that. Just looking online, it's a 10" with a 225 watt amp. Definitely don't care for the looks of it and my guess is you would be MUCH better off waiting on a better sub. Not sure it can keep up with the RF-7's.

RF-7's often go for around $800 depending on condition. I bought my son's near mint RF-7's for $400 so crazy deals like that can be found as well.

Forte II's typically go for much less. Around $400 is pretty average price but many on the forum have paid much less than that.

Hope that helps

It does help and makes me feel better. I was so DEAD SET on sticking with the Forte II set up I have. Found the matching Academy center and called it a day. I listen to a lot of music and rarely watch a movie, but when I do........ I am always smiling.

If I were to make the plunge into the reference series and get out of the older stuff, someone will luck into a SWEET setup that I will list on here first. (4) matching Oak Oil Forte II's and a matching Oak Oil Academy. All speakers in 8/10 shape or better.

SO I have so more questions. My receiver pumps out 7 x 140w. I only use 5 channels. I know the Forte's do not take much too make them incredibly loud, are the RF-7's the same? If anything I would be looking for a fuller sound. The Forte's are a little bright and cause some ear fatigue.

Am I making a mistake of trying to sell what I have for a minimal upgrade? Someone quickly talk me off the ledge :)

• Moderators

The Forte II's are great for music as they are a 3-way design vs the 2-way design in the RF-7's.

I would definitely get some additional opinions as I'm sure (4) Forte II's would sound fantastic for music and HT. I personally wasn't impressed when I had an Academy. I much more prefer the RC-7 over it for HT but as you say, you rarely watch movies.

The biggest issue with RF-7's is that although they can be driven by any receiver, the impedance dips get quite low (I believe close to 2ohms) thus that really draws a lot from a receiver.

If you think the Forte's are bright, you might feel the same way with the RF-7's. They are definitely an "in your face" speaker" but I happen to enjoy that. Very detailed, very "live" sound.

If you are looking for more of a laid back, smoother sound, the RF-83's would be the ticket.

Take a look at these two threads where I compared the RF-83's and RF-7's.

Maple RF-7's in the House

A New Love and Appreciation for the RF-7's

Am I making a mistake of trying to sell what I have for a minimal upgrade? Someone quickly talk me off the ledge :)

Sounds like you have an awesome system already. I wouldn't sell it to buy an RF-7 setup without hearing one first. You might find your ears prefer the sound of the Forte II's.

It does help and makes me feel better. I was so DEAD SET on sticking with the Forte II set up I have. Found the matching Academy center and called it a day. I listen to a lot of music and rarely watch a movie, but when I do........ I am always smiling. If I were to make the plunge into the reference series and get out of the older stuff, someone will luck into a SWEET setup that I will list on here first. (4) matching Oak Oil Forte II's and a matching Oak Oil Academy. All speakers in 8/10 shape or better. SO I have so more questions. My receiver pumps out 7 x 140w. I only use 5 channels. I know the Forte's do not take much too make them incredibly loud, are the RF-7's the same? If anything I would be looking for a fuller sound. The Forte's are a little bright and cause some ear fatigue. Am I making a mistake of trying to sell what I have for a minimal upgrade? Someone quickly talk me off the ledge :)

Step away from the ledge.......

You'd be making a huge investment in speakers and not be getting a huge gifference in soumn IMHO. Id take some of the speaker money and invest in titanium diaphrams for the mid and high drivers as well as possibly upgrading or replacing the crossovers.

RF-7's are a little more power hungry than than the Forte's also possibly leading to an upgrade in your amp.

I don't want you to get the impression from my above post that I don't like the RF-7's. You can see from my sig that I have them in my HT/living room. If the shoe were on the other foot, I wouldn't sell them and buy Forte's. There's just not a big enough difference in quality. They DO sound different, but they both sound good, at least to me. Both can be modded to remove harshness also.

If the shoe were on the other foot, I wouldn't sell them and buy Forte's. There's just not a big enough difference in quality. They DO sound different, but they both sound good, at least to me. Both can be modded to remove harshness also.

What he said verbatim. Both are great for HT and both are great for music, just different.

Bill

I am glad to have this message board. It serves like a therapy group sometimes. I rarely catch wind of anyone owning (much less selling) Klipsch stuff here in Kentucky, so when you come across something, you almost PANIC :)

You assume, jump to conclusions, research, and "what if" yourself to death. I don't even know why I went to look. My wife and I just had our 1st child 6 months ago and I haven't even been able to turn my HT on in several weeks. Here I am looking to spend $1K+ on things I definitely do not need. That being said - I may throw him a insane offer, just to see how bad he wants to get rid of it. I do want to low ball him but do not want to offend him toooooo bad.

Suggestions? I am thinking RF-7's $500 / RC62 $150. I will take it all for $750 including the sub I DEFINITELY do not need :)

Glad I will not be standing in front of him when I make my offer so I don't get slapped........

I am glad to have this message board. It serves like a therapy group sometimes. I rarely catch wind of anyone owning (much less selling) Klipsch stuff here in Kentucky, so when you come across something, you almost PANIC :)

You assume, jump to conclusions, research, and "what if" yourself to death. I don't even know why I went to look. My wife and I just had our 1st child 6 months ago and I haven't even been able to turn my HT on in several weeks. Here I am looking to spend $1K+ on things I definitely do not need. That being said - I may throw him a insane offer, just to see how bad he wants to get rid of it. I do want to low ball him but do not want to offend him toooooo bad.

Suggestions? I am thinking RF-7's $500 / RC62 $150. I will take it all for $750 including the sub I DEFINITELY do not need :)

Glad I will not be standing in front of him when I make my offer so I don't get slapped........

my son never stopped me from turning on the theater. in fact he loved it. and now that he is two and a half he loves it even more. although i may be setting him up to have the same damn sickness i have.

• Moderators

I do want to low ball him but do not want to offend him toooooo bad.

I'm never offended when someone gives me a lowball offer. People are free to offer whatever they want, and I as a seller are free to politely decline that offer. You are in a great position because you don't "need" to buy speakers but you never know, the seller just might "need" to sell which puts you in a very good position to possibly get a sweet deal. Never hurts to ask. All they can say is no. Good luck.